ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   2001 bugeye sitting way too high!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/967748-2001-bugeye-sitting-way-too-high.html)

chavsbugeye 05 March 2013 02:07 PM

2001 bugeye sitting way too high!?

hi all
first off, searched everywhere for an explanation but so far no luck.
ok, had my bugeye for around a month now and the car was sitting high all round, i put it down to knackered shocks etc as its a 2001 with 109k miles. so bought a set of pedders extreme coilovers, fronts went on fine abd sit nice after thy settled, the rears are a whole nother story! got them wound all the way down and still got a good 3-4" gap between tyre and arch? spoken to pedders direct who were polite and appologetic but couldnt offer any help other than a refund. so im thinking possibly wrong top mounts? i reused my existing mounts and have the split type with seat for original spring, maybe i need different ones?
any help or suggestions would be grately welcomed!

6VOLT 05 March 2013 05:54 PM

Hiya, I have put a set of these on my bug eye wagon just this weekend and am having the exact same issue, I was just about to post the same.

My rear suspension like yours uses the original top mount that has the cup to fit the alloy spring locator in.

I'm thinking if I can find a set of aftermarket top mounts that are thinner, as the stock unit it quite a tall piece of metal, that that will give me the extra inch or so drop I want.

Does anyone know of a rear top mount that will do this? For both chavs saloon I am guessing and my wagon.

Cheers guys

chavsbugeye 05 March 2013 06:00 PM

glad i'm not alone on this one. dont really want to start diy modding my topmounts, as (not officially) suggested by pedders. i bought kym mounts that didnt have the spring locators but they didnt fit my car (studs were way out). must be another way around it!

6VOLT 05 March 2013 06:06 PM

Well with mine being a wagon it has given me a positive camber angle on the rear, so if I can get a thinner camber adjustable top mount it will fix both solutions, or otherwise find out what spring rate they are and buy a comparable shorter set of springs.

6VOLT 05 March 2013 10:18 PM

Ideas anyone ?

6VOLT 06 March 2013 01:05 PM

No one has any ideas to help ?

tez7431 06 March 2013 01:14 PM

wagon and saloon shocks are different. Wrong ones?

chavsbugeye 06 March 2013 01:34 PM

well i double checked before buying via email and telephone calls that they would fit, problem appears to be with the mounts.

6VOLT 06 March 2013 05:56 PM

Righty , I have been on the phone to Martin at Monkfish performance / pedders uk.

He is doing his best to rectify the problem and is in talks with pedders in Australia. If all goes well we might have a solution to the problem in a week or so judging on what they are saying, but nothing is rock solid yet. I'm only 10 minutes round the corner from pedders so will be keeping in contact with Martin and you Chav.

My cars ride height is not awful so will bear with it for the time being.

chavsbugeye 06 March 2013 06:03 PM

me too! had the exact same conversation earlier today. they sell camber plates and other coilovers kits with topmounts supplied so fingers crossed they can work something out!
likewise i'll let you know if i get any joy.
cheers bud

6VOLT 06 March 2013 06:50 PM

would be nice to get the camber plate version top mount.... would save messing about with camber bolts :-)

jura11 07 March 2013 01:27 AM

Hi there

Something like specific coilovers for wagons doesn't exist,they're only for saloon,we are running on our wagon coilovers which are for saloon,I would go down the route of coilovers which have adjustability on the ride height etc.,but if you are lowering the wagon,I would add roll centre kit too

Here are few pics of the our wagon on coilovers

http://thrll.com/img/uploads/updates...e/IMG_0893.JPG

http://thrll.com/img/uploads/updates...71163448_n.jpg

http://thrll.com/img/uploads/updates...IMG_0707bC.jpg

http://thrll.com/img/uploads/updates...e/IMG_0701.jpg

http://thrll.com/img/uploads/updates...e/IMG_0702.jpg

Jura

chavsbugeye 07 March 2013 10:45 AM

hey 6volt. just spoken with mike at pedders. think we maybe getting somewhere, think he's trying to get hold of you, might wanna give them a call if you see this before they contact you.
fingers crossed

Arnie_1 10 March 2013 12:04 PM

Is it possible that you are adjusting them improperly? If Pedders are using the same BC based coilover as they were a couple of years ago, then you adjust the ride height by loosening the lower lock ring and twist the assembly down from there. Not from the upper lock ring, which is mainly just for preload adjustment.

tattoosi 10 March 2013 12:56 PM

nice looking wagon u got there mate

chavsbugeye 10 March 2013 09:06 PM

@arnie1 yeah defo adjusted them correctly via the lower rings, problem appears to be with the kit itself using the existing mounts. speaking with pedders direct trying to resolve the issue. 6volts sorted his wagon out but luckily for him he's local to the shop.
hopeing pedders can give me some good news monday!

Arnie_1 19 March 2013 12:01 PM

Can you post pics of your car from the side (wheels straight). pics of your top mounts from in the engine bay/passenger compartment. And, ideally, with the wheel off and the entire coilover and up into the strut turret.

It would help tremendously to see what and how you have things installed. Most of issues I've found on cars are usually installer error, unfortunately. I can't remember how many times people have said a part is a POS only to find it was installed completely improperly. :)

chavsbugeye 19 March 2013 03:11 PM

job done!
turns out i needed later spec coilovers and modified topmounts (spring seats removed, studs reversed and then mounted upside down. bit of a mission but have to say pedders were brilliant, very helpful and sent me all the bits i needed inc. new modified topmounts built up ready to bolt on.
would happily recommend and use them again
big thanks to all.

Arnie_1 19 March 2013 05:01 PM

hmm, weird. if you ever get a chance, would love to see pics of what their solution was for topmounts. Sounds like way too much work needed. If the proper coilovers are bought, and these are nominally the BCs that include topmounts. However if you did buy, say, classic coilovers and put them on your car, the topmount bolt position is indeed a bit different on GCs compared to GD/GG.

regardless, glad they sorted it out for you. nothing builds customer loyalty better than good customer service. Good for pedders!

6VOLT 19 March 2013 10:31 PM

Hi chavs, that's what we did to mine first the other week, was a bit nervous but it was the only option. I got a call whilst at work and went round after, mike and I finished fitting the suspension at around 8 ish. Top bloke. So did they supply you with the already butchered/modified tip mount?

Last question. Are you getting any kind of knocking or clunking? I'm noticing it from my left rear on bumpy terrain. It might be a ball joint or something that has died since fitting.

6VOLT 19 March 2013 10:32 PM

Oh ps chavs, did you fit your later spec coil overs with or without the helper springs?

Hagondaz 21 March 2013 06:12 PM

Hey, Im also on pedders and wanted a bit more lows, my rears were flipped upside down, but would still like to go lower. What were the top mounts they arranged for you? any pics or info would be great. Glad you sorted the issues too.

chavsbugeye 21 March 2013 09:56 PM

@6volt- they came ready built up, no helper springs but not sure if there ever was if you know what i mean?
@hagondaz- tbh your best bet would ve to call pedders and ask for mike, he built them up for me so he will have the exact details, pretty sure he used the same mounts as i already had but modified them himself to suit. if its any help mines a 51 plate wrx saloon.
will post some pics up on the weekend (only hance i get)

Hagondaz 21 March 2013 09:58 PM

Cheers mate, well my rear mounts were flipped upside down the studs were removed and put back the other way if you get me. But ill call cheers mate.

chavsbugeye 21 March 2013 09:59 PM

soz. double post.

6VOLT 21 March 2013 11:24 PM

The rear set up you got chavs was based on mine and the fiddling that mike and I did. Yours would have had helper springs the same as mine but they simply wouldn't fit along with the spring and the modded top mount.
I have found the source of the knocking and it turned put to be the front left top mount nut that needed a tweak.
I am now very happy with my set up. I have raised the spring a little so I'm have about 3 quarters of an inch above the tyre. I also used a rubber mallet and heat gun to fold the inner arch up as I was catching ...and to blow my own trumpet...I did an awesome job of it too lol. No split paint and loads of clearance.
Hagondaz. If your avatar is your motor then your rear set up would have come with the helper spring...get shot of it. I can lower mine all the way to touch the tyre almost and still have preload on the spring.. This will give you a bit more of a drop.

Hagondaz 21 March 2013 11:34 PM

Yeah that's my plan tbh however it'll look out of level with front as they have no helper springs and its wound right down :/ is yours level when that low?

6VOLT 21 March 2013 11:55 PM

Yup mine is level. you will find at the moment that you have tons of adjustment on the front but a limited amount at the back, due to the top hat being a large piece and the rear shock being a tall unit, but with the modded top hat and no helper spring you will have loads.

Hagondaz 22 March 2013 12:08 AM

See my front is at its lowest and still sits too high for coilovers as the avatar pic. Tried to find lower top mounts but only had camber plates.

6VOLT 22 March 2013 12:31 AM

That's strange. I have loads of adjustment in my fronts and can go very low.