ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Kinugawa TD05 18G at Powerstation (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/967648-kinugawa-td05-18g-at-powerstation.html)

ChrisJenkinsWRX 04 March 2013 04:03 PM

Kinugawa TD05 18G at Powerstation

Hey guys,
As the title states, I will be attending Powerstation in Tewkesbury this Wednesday (6/3/13) and will hopefully get some figures for you all to see with a Kinugawa TD05 18G with 8cm hotside.

My car is a 06 WRX, and over the last 3 days I have fitted a Walbro 255 fuel pump, Japspeed FMIC, the TD05 18G turbocharger and a bellmouth decat downpipe. About 9-10 months ago, I fitted a scorpion 2nd decat pipe to mate to the cat back system which was already in place when i bought the car December 2011, placed a K&N panel filter into the stock airbox and took it to Dave Coe in Gorseinon to be remapped. I was pretty pleased with the results but have grown hungry for more power, especially since I've placed DC Racing coilovers on it which helps it handle beautifully!

Anyways, I have had a chat with the guys at Powerstation, who are really helpful, and they are more than happy to set up my car for me and see what I can get powerwise. Ive never been on a dyno before so im bricking it at the moment ha.

Back to the point of this post, I will hopefully be posting some images of my mini build and give you guys some figures/graphs and as much detail as i can about how the turbo performs under daily use!

P.s Yes its a stock gearbox (I know, risky) and a Greddy Organic clutch, but i drive like a fanny most of the time but when I do see a clear opening, I do enjoy giving her full throttle as do we all.

Thanks for reading! This is my first ever post :) I'll hopefully be posting the information Wednesday evening, thats if the turbo hasn't gone bang or the engine hasn't gone pop!

Cheers, Chris.

stonejedi 04 March 2013 05:34 PM

Welcome chris.SJ.

Henrik 05 March 2013 07:50 AM

Please post your dyno plot up when you have it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a billet 20g wheel off ebay (I think e.g. kinugawa have them) and modifying a td05 turbo with it. The Mitsubishi guys in the states seem to make decent power with them, but not heard anyone here in the UK use one.

Muzza80 06 March 2013 08:15 PM

Subscribing with much interest!

coleman 06 March 2013 09:47 PM

With you being so far west, any reason you avoided GT indigo?

Cannon Fodder 06 March 2013 10:54 PM

I'm from Llanelli myself, where are you located?

Plus I'd happily recommend Indigo GT as well up in Tredegar they are a very helpful bunch up there or Three Arches in Cardiff. :)

ChrisJenkinsWRX 06 March 2013 11:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply everyone, my broadband has been shut down today for some reason :/ I got 365.4bhp with 18.5 psi boost! It feels like a rocket compared to the TD04 haha! I will hopefully have my broadband up and running tomorrow evening so il post the graph! Tbh, that's the first I've heard of Indigo GT! Shows how rubbish I am when it comes to finding places!
@cannon I'm up Llanerch, by Penygaer playing fields!

P.s I couldn't have asked for better when the guy from Powerstation (forgotten his name :/ ) was mapping my car, he explained to me basically every step of the way through the process! 110% recommended!

The Kinugawa turbo seems to be running perfectly so far guys! But to back up my word, il post the printout on here tomorrow :)

Cannon Fodder 07 March 2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisJenkinsWRX (Post 11015645)
Sorry for the late reply everyone, my broadband has been shut down today for some reason :/ I got 365.4bhp with 18.5 psi boost! It feels like a rocket compared to the TD04 haha! I will hopefully have my broadband up and running tomorrow evening so il post the graph! Tbh, that's the first I've heard of Indigo GT! Shows how rubbish I am when it comes to finding places!

P.s I couldn't have asked for better when the guy from Powerstation (forgotten his name :/ ) was mapping my car, he explained to me basically every step of the way through the process! 110% recommended!

The Kinugawa turbo seems to be running perfectly so far guys! But to back up my word, il post the printout on here tomorrow :)

Nice result you got there. :)

I live not too far away from you, my Blobeye Spec C is away at the moment and it's nearing completion and will be around 500bhp when it's finished.

Pop along to the Welsh section and say hello, we're a friendly bunch even the Goggs and I'll be organising a meet in the spring for West Wales owners. :)

ScoobyDoo69 07 March 2013 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisJenkinsWRX (Post 11015645)

Great result, well done!

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 03:40 PM

Here is the emailed printout of the final power run at Powerstation

http://s20.postimage.org/zbtsgofd9/YJ06_RVE_page_1.jpg

ScoobyDoo69 07 March 2013 03:42 PM

Nice looking graph. Seems to hold the boost well too.

jeffwrx 07 March 2013 03:46 PM

great result :thumb: , have used Kinugawa/kamak turbo parts awell with good results

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69 (Post 11016170)
Nice looking graph. Seems to hold the boost well too.

Thanks! Just need to get an STi gearbox next as I got a funny feeling i will be stripping 3rd gear if I give it full throttle too often!

L.J.F 07 March 2013 03:51 PM

i thought these turbos were cheap ebay crap? are they reliable then?

ScoobyDoo69 07 March 2013 03:53 PM

Kinugawa seem to be one of the better "eBay specials"

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeffwrx (Post 11016177)
great result :thumb: , have used Kinugawa/kamak turbo parts awell with good results

Thanks! I was a little nervous when I bought the turbo as there doesn't seem to be many people on here which are willing to risk putting a "cheaper" turbo in there cars, which is totally understandable as it could cost alot to repair the damage, but when the turbo arrived in the post, I noticed that the build quality was very good! And looking at the US and Autralian forums, they seem to be getting more popular as they are producing decent results for the cost!

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 11016185)
i thought these turbos were cheap ebay crap? are they reliable then?

Thats what I thought when I first seen them for sale but they seem popular with Skyline owners and a few Evo owners buy the Kinugawa 25g turbos with decent results. Im pretty sure that someone also reported that he has a Kinugawa turbocharger on his Subaru and its lasted him 10,000km with no probelsm so far. So I'll just have to wait and see I guess!

coleman 07 March 2013 03:59 PM

Strong result!

With you and Cannon fodder being from Llanelli, you must of seen my new car, i bought it Nov/Dec last year from a New build estate by the big Tescos, Blue STI uk blobeye, LN03GEJ, grey wheel, Tein badge on the boot?

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by coleman (Post 11016195)
Strong result!

With you and Cannon fodder being from Llanelli, you must of seen my new car, i bought it Nov/Dec last year from a New build estate by the big Tescos, Blue STI uk blobeye, LN03GEJ, grey wheel, Tein badge on the boot?

Thanks! Im not quite sure mate, There are a few hovering about here nowadays! There is someone with a Blobeye STi with all the rally decals that passes my street daily if he is on this forum somewhere! When he changes gear it makes that "Churping" noise so im guessing he's blanket off his Recirc/BOV!

Muzza80 07 March 2013 04:22 PM

How much import taxes were you stung with when it arrived mate?

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muzza80 (Post 11016218)
How much import taxes were you stung with when it arrived mate?

Nothing mate! I send them a message when paying for the turbo asking them to mark it as "gift" for me, then said something like "Will be buying from you again" straight after to keep on their good side lol.

Muzza80 07 March 2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisJenkinsWRX (Post 11016226)
Nothing mate! I send them a message when paying for the turbo asking them to mark it as "gift" for me, then said something like "Will be buying from you again" straight after to keep on their good side lol.

Nice, can you post up or PM me the link to the exact ebay auction you bought it from please mate?

Also, how was fitting? Everything needed included? Did you have a dump all your oil and refill?

Cheers!

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muzza80 (Post 11016235)
Nice, can you post up or PM me the link to the exact ebay auction you bought it from please mate?

Also, how was fitting? Everything needed included? Did you have a dump all your oil and refill?

Cheers!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1105123995...543%26_rdc%3D1 This is the exact item which I bought.

Fitting it was simple! That was the first turbo I have ever changed and didnt take long at all! Drained all the oil from the engine, remove intercooler, remove downpipe, remove coolant hoses attached to turbo, remove the thin vaccume hoses from the actuator and turbo inlet, remove turbo oil feed (The hard pipe with a bend in it, be careful not to bend it much as it could snap, but Kinugawa do send a braided oil feed line anyways), remove the 3x 14mm nuts securing the turbo to the up-pipe, pull the turbo up about an inch, just clearing the studs which will allow you to remove the oil return pipe which is attached to the turbo by one of those hose spring clips, then the turbo comes out :) Oh, and clamp the coolant hoses as most of my coolant ended up on the garage floor haha!

Kinugawa supply brand new layered gaskets, all the cooland elbows, bolts, studs, nuts needed to change the turbo! For £500, you get alot for your money IMO

coleman 07 March 2013 04:59 PM

Changed my Turbo last week,hardest part i found, is trying to work out if the oil return pipe is on when turbo is in place.

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by coleman (Post 11016282)
Changed my Turbo last week,hardest part i found, is trying to work out if the oil return pipe is on when turbo is in place.

Haha yes! That was a right pain in the backside! I called my old man into the garage to try and look from underneath the car. I got the hose about 3/4 inch on, just enough to get that clamp on! Thankfully I have skinny hands :)

Muzza80 07 March 2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisJenkinsWRX (Post 11016254)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1105123995...543%26_rdc%3D1 This is the exact item which I bought.

Fitting it was simple! That was the first turbo I have ever changed and didnt take long at all! Drained all the oil from the engine, remove intercooler, remove downpipe, remove coolant hoses attached to turbo, remove the thin vaccume hoses from the actuator and turbo inlet, remove turbo oil feed (The hard pipe with a bend in it, be careful not to bend it much as it could snap, but Kinugawa do send a braided oil feed line anyways), remove the 3x 14mm nuts securing the turbo to the up-pipe, pull the turbo up about an inch, just clearing the studs which will allow you to remove the oil return pipe which is attached to the turbo by one of those hose spring clips, then the turbo comes out :) Oh, and clamp the coolant hoses as most of my coolant ended up on the garage floor haha!

Kinugawa supply brand new layered gaskets, all the cooland elbows, bolts, studs, nuts needed to change the turbo! For £500, you get alot for your money IMO

Sounds brilliant and if it's that simple to fit then even better, £500 all in!

Couple more questions, do you know if there would be any adverse effect to fitting the turbo then driving the car for a few days before getting it mapped? I.E will the car run ok with this turbo before mapping or is that asking for trouble?

They also sell a TD05H 18G A/R 7cm version opposed to the A/R 8cm you bought, am I right in thinking this will spool up quicker but produce a little less top end power?

Cheers!

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muzza80 (Post 11016294)
Sounds brilliant and if it's that simple to fit then even better, £500 all in!

Couple more questions, do you know if there would be any adverse effect to fitting the turbo then driving the car for a few days before getting it mapped? I.E will the car run ok with this turbo before mapping or is that asking for trouble?

Also can anyone explain the difference between the TD05H 18G-8 that you have bought and the TD05H 18G A/R 7cm that they also sell? I read somewhere the 7cm version would be less laggy? Anyone explain the differences in laymans terms?

Cheers!

It should be ok as long as you keep the revs below 3000 rpm and completely out of boost! I didnt use mine until the day of the remap, but I did crawl my car for 120 miles to get to Powerstation with no probems :)

IMHO if you have a 2.0l, I would go for the 7cm to reduce the lagg, but I went for the 8cm because I got the 2.5l, and they tend to be prone to boost creep under heavy load with a 7cm hotside!

So basically... 2L - 7cm
2.5L - 8cm

unless someone else can say otherwise?

jayallen 07 March 2013 05:14 PM

No disrespect but before people start getting carried away with these turbos remember it has only just been mapped so has covered very little miles.

ChrisJenkinsWRX 07 March 2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11016309)
No disrespect but before people start getting carried away with these turbos remember it has only just been mapped so has covered very little miles.

I totally agree! so far I have done 150 miles with the new turbo fitted so its still early days! But, I will try and keep everyone up to date with how the turbo is running and if I've encountered any problems.

jayallen 07 March 2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisJenkinsWRX (Post 11016313)
I totally agree! so far I have done 150 miles with the new turbo fitted so its still early days! But, I will try and keep everyone up to date with how the turbo is running and if I've encountered any problems.

Good darts Chris...:thumb: