ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   prodrive ecu (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/967314-prodrive-ecu.html)

kezwaldo 28 February 2013 08:20 PM

prodrive ecu

hi ive seen been upgrading my car alot recently and have seen a couple of prodrive ecu,s for version 5-6 classic that the seller claims will plug straight to my uk 2000 turbo and give me 265bhp roughly with no adjusting just plug in and go seems to good
to be true for 300 quid .....im running catback stainless a k+n panel filter and a forge bov none of which give no power improvment ,,,,,

jason_2013 01 March 2013 07:19 PM

I would put the standard bov back on. The after market ones make the car run worse unless mapped for it. A genuine prodrive ecu will plug in and give you a power increase. Normally prodrive will fit silicone intercooler hoses and a centre and back box at the same time as the ecu. It will give you a good increase in power and better boost curve. I believe they normally give you about 240PS not 265BHP.

See here for the brochure http://www.subaru-impreza.org/downlo...F%20MANUAL.pdf

But getting your original ecu remapped will get you a better result depending who maps it. But it will cost you more buying the ecutec license then the mapping cost.

Bob Rawle 01 March 2013 08:44 PM

You should see some gain, but not to 265 bhp.

Remapping the original ecu will cost you a bit more but will give you a better result dependant on fuel used.

The Ecutek bit is £150 plus vat of a £450 plus vat cost so to say it costs more than a mapping cost is somewhat in error from my perspective.

cheers

bob

jason_2013 02 March 2013 12:03 AM

No error. I said it would cost more buying the ecutek license then the mapping cost. Amazing how easy it is to misread one letter of one word. Easily done I know.

craiginsight 03 March 2013 12:58 AM

Just fitted a prodrive ecu to my v5 today. It's made a huge difference to mine but, I am running decat.

Ecu cost me £250 though not £300 - maybe worth asking for it cheaper?

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 01:44 PM

craig if mines a 99 plate is that a v5 or v6 ????? im looking to do decat aswell once my m.o.t has been done mext month to make sure emiisions pass. At moment i have a cat-back and decent panel filter so just need down pipe..and to locate a prodrive ecu witrh those 2 id be happy with just another 15bhp

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 01:47 PM

also did you just swap ecu for ecu 10 minute job all done???? plug and play basically and would you definate reccomend fitting a prodrive ecu to a uk 2000

craiginsight 04 March 2013 02:20 PM

Hi Mate,

Yeah that should be a version 5 like mine but, I'd double check by looking at the ECU that's currently installed. Just pull the carpet back from where the passengers feet go in the front foot well and you'll see the metal kick plate. There's 3 bolts holding it in place. Just unscrew them and pull it away (30 second job), that reveals the ECU. If it's a V5 like mine there will be 3 connections going into it - a blue, grey and black with the 4th space on the ECU being blanked out/not in use. That at least confirms the connections. Then, get the serial number off the ECU and search for it on google, that should return results that show the version number.

Fitting it took me about 5 minutes.

I've only had the Prodrive ECU on since Saturday so, can't give you a longer review but, I'm loving driving my car. Spent a fair bit on fuel just because I wanted to drive it!

Hope that helps,
Craig

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 04:17 PM

i already have the codes which are E3 then codes 22611 AE800 and A18 000 097

craiginsight 04 March 2013 07:20 PM

I'm pretty sure the E3 ECU would fit into my car which is version 5 on a Y7 ECU. So in short, it looks like you have a v5 ECU. I still think you should make sure that the ECU does have 3 connectors only though - the older ecu's have 4.

I'm going to keep hold of my old ECU just in case I wan to ecutec my car in the future.

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 08:40 PM

sorry to pick your brains further but did you have any trouble with the key fobs not working with this ecu or is that a seperate thing altogether and nothing to do with the ecu??? i may have sourced one for 230 quid does that sound reasonible?? and it says all version 5-6 and is 3 plug , plug and play?? thanks for your time to reply

Gambit 04 March 2013 09:07 PM

300 is too expensive. 200 is going rate. And they are just plug n play no keyfob issues on 99/00 cars. I ran one for 3yrs and made it a great daily driving car. With prodrive Y pipe and straight thru centre section it was running 260bhp

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 09:13 PM

ok thanks gambit .how does the Y pipe affect the car or differ from what i have now??????id be happy to see it go from the 215bhp to 230 tbh i have straight threw section but not running decat was you ???

Gambit 04 March 2013 09:46 PM

Its just a bit better flowing. Yeah mine was 260bhp with std downpipe. I also found preloading the wastegate arm helped.

I wouldnt get caught up in the bhp numbers the prodrive ecu makes a lot of difference mid range torque making it lot more driveable.

And just for ref, i was running hks foam panel filter and newage wrx intercooler.

kezwaldo 04 March 2013 11:06 PM

ok thanks gambit im not looking at big hp improvment just fot the car to pull better threw midrange so lets hope thats what i get....

jaygsi 19 November 2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 11013244)
Its just a bit better flowing. Yeah mine was 260bhp with std downpipe. I also found preloading the wastegate arm helped.

I wouldnt get caught up in the bhp numbers the prodrive ecu makes a lot of difference mid range torque making it lot more driveable.

And just for ref, i was running hks foam panel filter and newage wrx intercooler.

260bhp thats really good

Jacks264 15 June 2016 10:21 PM

Ecu

Im wondering if anyone can help. I have a 2004 impreza wrx 225bhp and wanted to upgrade the ecu for a prodrive 265bhp i have seen for sale. It does come with everyting to change over new barrle and key ect... Is this a simple swap or do i need to do other things???????

scoobyricht 16 June 2016 09:10 PM

remap ur current ecu.. more gains less hassle. and this thread is almost 3 years old lol

jaygsi 18 June 2016 01:30 AM

Yea only reason classic owners bother with pro drive ecu's is because it's costly to get remapped.

Yours won't be that costly at all.