ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Derek (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/967239-derek.html)

Funkii Munkii 28 February 2013 01:56 PM

Derek

I haven't noticed any threads on this series, just wondered if anyone else had watched it, I know that there is quite a bit of an anti Gervais feeling in here but I thought it was superbly written and executed, especially with all the social comment they were subtlety putting across in each episode.

urban 28 February 2013 02:18 PM

I watch it, and I find it pretty funny generally.
Gervais plays the part very well, Karl is pretty funny too.
Kev is just a foul creature.

Did you see the one where Derek got pissed?

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 28 February 2013 02:35 PM

Watched it once, got bored.

urban 28 February 2013 02:42 PM

The pilot episode you mean?

brendy76 28 February 2013 03:01 PM

Very Awkward show, not funny at all and to be honest, Id rather watch the office which I didnt find funny either.

urban 28 February 2013 03:10 PM

Awkward - how come?

brendy76 28 February 2013 03:15 PM

Basically ripping the piss out of a certain kind of socially overdrawn stereotype. It just doesnt flow as a comedy in my eyes neither.

Ash170990 28 February 2013 03:19 PM

watched one episode (think its the one you said where derek got drunk on a can of larger) couldnt get into it, didnt find it funny, kinda ruined my whole view on gervais and karl pilkington cause i thoguht gervais was funny before hand, just looks desperate now, and after seeing karl pilkington in that makes me think an idiot abroad is all fake (probably is but hey ho...)...

Funkii Munkii 28 February 2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 11008135)
Basically ripping the piss out of a certain kind of socially overdrawn stereotype. It just doesnt flow as a comedy in my eyes neither.

I certainly didn't see it as taking the pi$$ It anything it was the complete opposite.

There was a continuous underlying theme that was quietly highlighting various facets of the social issues and decay we have in the UK whilst also showing how kind and selfless a lot of people can still be without being disrespectful to the old, autistic etc etc. Yeah there were funny lines thrown in and oddballs like Douglas and Kev but there was always this message about respecting each other, I thought it was very cleverly written, must be on my own :)

urban 28 February 2013 04:28 PM

I don't think you're on your own - take the example of the young girl on community service.

tarmac terror 28 February 2013 06:21 PM

Cant stand Ricky Gervais - the man comes across as an arrogant, conceited fool. Funniest thing I have ever seen him do was the Diana Memorial concert in 2007 as he died on his feet. Have watched a couple of episodes of Derek just because it was on. The only thing I have found mildly amusing was the graffiti on crabs bit.

pslewis 28 February 2013 06:34 PM

I laughed only once - where he bought the frog, to keep the other frog company - he couldn't understand that the frog he bought was the one they donated to the Jumble Sale in the first place! :lol1:

cster 28 February 2013 07:10 PM

Ain't seen it - can I still express a strong opinion?

Fleetster 28 February 2013 07:43 PM

I like it, pilkingtons character is better than Ricky's by far!!!!

Dirk Diggler 75 28 February 2013 07:49 PM

I thought it was ok,not brilliant but not bad ....

Lisawrx 28 February 2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 11008191)
I certainly didn't see it as taking the pi$$ It anything it was the complete opposite.

There was a continuous underlying theme that was quietly highlighting various facets of the social issues and decay we have in the UK whilst also showing how kind and selfless a lot of people can still be without being disrespectful to the old, autistic etc etc. Yeah there were funny lines thrown in and oddballs like Douglas and Kev but there was always this message about respecting each other, I thought it was very cleverly written, must be on my own :)

You're not on your own. I see it exactly the same way as you do. Did you watch the programme about the making of it after last night's episode? That explained what it was all about, and it would seem you and me take the show the way it was intended.

davyboy 28 February 2013 08:54 PM

Wasn't funny the first time round.

Funkii Munkii 28 February 2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 11008630)
You're not on your own. I see it exactly the same way as you do. Did you watch the programme about the making of it after last night's episode? That explained what it was all about, and it would seem you and me take the show the way it was intended.

Ah that's good to know, it's on Sky plus :D

scoobynutta555 28 February 2013 09:50 PM

Watched The Office and nothing else with him in it (apart from Stardust). I may add I'm not that interested in watching his other stuff.

Worlasshasansti 28 February 2013 10:08 PM

I thought it was cleverly done, laughed quite a bit aswell.

It's weird how many people you talk to who don't rate gervais but he gets plenty work and I bet he's loaded so he's doing summit right.

Mick

davyboy 01 March 2013 06:25 AM

Not that weird. Folk can't wait to tell who they don't like, they find it harder to say who or what they do like.

JTaylor 01 March 2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 11008724)
Watched The Office and nothing else with him in it (apart from Stardust). I may add I'm not that interested in watching his other stuff.

Well, this is an absolutely fascinating insight. Thank you.

fatscoobfella1 01 March 2013 08:06 AM

Im not a Gervais fan,but i think Derek is fantastic..

Its well executed and has a thought provoking message throughout the series..

Those that think its taking the piss out of autism or old age are missing the point by a mile,its exactly the opposite.
Whilst it maybe not the best "comedy" show out there,in a see of dirge that Tv now is,i think he has achieved a hit with this..

grovesy 01 March 2013 02:06 PM

I like it, don’t think its written to be a laugh a minute. But I do find it funny. Karl Pilkington plays a very good part, saying that its basicly just him in real life.

Watched the making of programme last night and as previously mentioned Ricky explains why Derek is the way he is.

mamoon2 01 March 2013 03:00 PM

I didn't find it funny. I thought it was his excuse to play a "retard".

I loved The Office, Life is Short and Idiot Abroad but didn't like Extras.

His film The Invention of Lying was genius however.

mattstant 01 March 2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 11008052)
I haven't noticed any threads on this series, just wondered if anyone else had watched it, I know that there is quite a bit of an anti Gervais feeling in here but I thought it was superbly written and executed, especially with all the social comment they were subtlety putting across in each episode.

plus one here as well.

Directed by Gervais as well

scoobynutta555 01 March 2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11008907)
Well, this is an absolutely fascinating insight. Thank you.

No problem. Let me know if there are other issues you have that need addressing :)

JTaylor 01 March 2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 11009303)
No problem. Let me know if there are other issues you have that need addressing :)

Ok, thank you. :)

cster 01 March 2013 06:17 PM

Get a room, you two.:thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 01 March 2013 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 11008191)

You're not, I think the program is brilliant and I generally hate anything else Gervais has done. I don't even like "An idiot abroad" but find Karl hilarious in this :lol1: