ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tax benefits running a pickup. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/967010-tax-benefits-running-a-pickup.html)

Kedlestone 26 February 2013 01:11 PM

Tax benefits running a pickup.

I've been trying to track the answer down on various wen sites including hmrc but having no luck.

Basically I want to know what benefits I would gain if I bought a pickup being self employed. I know they are classed as LCV so fall under different rules when it comes tax. What can I get back? Do I need to buy new? Is it worth it? I'm looking at a pickup as I need a towing vehicle in the future for my planned race car.

Any help apriceated.

Torquemada 26 February 2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kedlestone (Post 11005381)
I've been trying to track the answer down on various wen sites including hmrc but having no luck.

Basically I want to know what benefits I would gain if I bought a pickup being self employed. I know they are classed as LCV so fall under different rules when it comes tax. What can I get back? Do I need to buy new? Is it worth it? I'm looking at a pickup as I need a towing vehicle in the future for my planned race car.

Any help apriceated.

I don't know but have you tried Money Saving Expert, for example, they have a forum that might be helpful although I know some on here will be able to answer your question :)

madscoob 26 February 2013 01:25 PM

if its your buisness. lease it you can right the leasing cost straight off your tax bill, and if it carries a tonne its only £210 a year road tax :thumb: and only £500 a year off your tax allowance for personal use

TelBoy 26 February 2013 01:28 PM

:confused:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...right_Ian1.jpg

madscoob 26 February 2013 01:35 PM

very good lol on lunch break and was eating and typing:thumb:

TelBoy 26 February 2013 01:37 PM

The word is write, as in writing, as in write-off :Suspiciou

Kedlestone 26 February 2013 06:04 PM

I'm self employed only so would these rules still apply?

hodgy0_2 26 February 2013 06:25 PM

yes, the "right / write" rules are universal, whatever your occupation and even on internet forums

zip106 26 February 2013 06:31 PM

I'm self employed and run a L200 DC for my business.

You don't pay BIK, the cost of the vehicle is just a running cost of the business - whatever it's cost you to run it over the tax year is deductable from your turnover.

I use mine 100% for business so everything I spend on it (fuel, servicing, RFL etc) is tax deductable.
My HP payments are also included.

Mine's paid for in 6 months time, so I need to get another to keep the tax down ;)

mrmadcap 26 February 2013 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 11005432)
The word is write, as in writing, as in write-off :Suspiciou

His askin abowt tax benyfits not aw too spell, yu nuggit:hjtwofing

RA Dunk 26 February 2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 11005802)
His askin abowt tax benyfits not aw too spell, yu nuggit:hjtwofing

lol :D

Kedlestone 26 February 2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11005795)

You don't pay BIK, the cost of the vehicle is just a running cost of the business - whatever it's cost you to run it over the tax year is deductable from your turnover.

I use mine 100% for business so everything I spend on it (fuel, servicing, RFL etc) is tax deductable.

Mine's paid for in 6 months time, so I need to get another to keep the tax down ;)

So am I right in saying that basically the only thing you end up paying is the deposit on the HP? Or is that claim-able to?

I'm looking at the L200 Barbarian on pickup trucks direct. Do you mind me asking where you went for yours?

zip106 26 February 2013 08:33 PM

I bought mine from a dealer, new. (well, pre-reg)

If you're not VAT registered you have to pay that upfront (but obviously reclaimable if registered), plus the deposit.

The deposit on the HP is classed as a running cost, as are the payments, so claimable.

If I were buying a new truck now , it wouldn't be an L200 - VFM seems to be the Isuzu at the moment.

Silver Knight 27 February 2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kedlestone (Post 11005908)
So am I right in saying that basically the only thing you end up paying is the deposit on the HP? Or is that claim-able to?

I'm looking at the L200 Barbarian on pickup trucks direct. Do you mind me asking where you went for yours?

Make sure you get a quote of a mitsi dealer as well.
The figures you see on pickup direct is not the final figure.
Also get the service package from mitsi for 650 for 3 services.
the 2nd service on its own is £700!!!!

zip106 27 February 2013 05:53 PM

As above - get the service pack.

I bought it with mine but only paid £380 for 3 years.
My last service (4 years old but only 33k miles done) cost me £540.

That's more than a major service on the Porsche!

Scooby Soon! 27 February 2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11005795)

I doubt the tax man will believe you use it 100% for business, I would imagine it would be a good idea to put down some personal use.

zip106 27 February 2013 10:22 PM

They've believed me for the last 6 years (2 years with previous L200).

Its parked up at the weekend and not used, unless I'm going to work. ;)

I actually take the kids to school in it, but as its on my way to work I'm allowed to do that.
This has been checked, and double checked by two different accountants :thumb:

corradoboy 02 March 2013 12:04 AM

Didn't there used to be a loop hole which allowed folk to buy big 4X4's and spec them with no rear seats and blacked rear windows which meant they could be classified as vans for tax purposes. The seats were then re-fitted after signing for collection of the vehicle.

Busterbulldog 02 March 2013 12:12 AM

Its a commercial vehicle,if used for commercial purposes you can claim every penny back including depreciation

madscoob 02 March 2013 12:32 AM

landrover disco 3 with rear seats removed and internal flatbed installed is a option, it becomes a van :thumb:

zip106 02 March 2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 11009890)
Its a commercial vehicle,if used for commercial purposes you can claim every penny back including depreciation

Aye, and the depreciation on an L200 is well worth claiming back!
:lol1: