ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Alarm Chirp (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/966692-alarm-chirp.html)

Hawkeye D 23 February 2013 08:18 PM

Alarm Chirp

Hi all,

Me again with my Spec D Hawk!!

Lots of you will know that recently I've had a bit of an issue with my coolant level (seems fine now phew!) but this has lead me to be keeping a much closer eye on it - always have done with my oil.

Anyways, recently once I've been checking under the bonnet, I'll close it, go to start the car, and just before the ignition key it all the way round, the alarm chirps. The car starts fine.

I know there is a bonnet sensor, but it never used to do this. I have even tried locking and unlocking the car with everything shut, and it still does it.

It's fine at petrol stations etc, after a drive, but it only happens once - after the bonnet has been up at some point.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt

DantheMan2605 23 February 2013 09:20 PM

i think normally, 1 chirp is a sign of the battery being low.

Hawkeye D 23 February 2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DantheMan2605 (Post 11002321)
i think normally, 1 chirp is a sign of the battery being low.

Never had a problem starting it, and my PSi3 gives BV readings of 13.9 - 14.2 volts.

martin850 23 February 2013 10:29 PM

My bugeye also chirps once when starting and I've been told by several people on here that is a sign the battery is on its way out.

My psi3 also shows good charge but would assume that the battery can't store it once the engine is off hence why it needs changing.

Tidgy 24 February 2013 12:59 PM

yeah battery level warning usualy.

Hawkeye D 25 February 2013 06:28 PM

I forgot to borrow my mates volt meter tonight, so will borrow it tomorrow.

But what sort of voltage would reveal a duff battery? - with engine switched off etc, and after 2 days or so of sitting parked up.

I'm thinking around 8-10 volts?

Turbotits 25 February 2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 11004527)
I forgot to borrow my mates volt meter tonight, so will borrow it tomorrow.

But what sort of voltage would reveal a duff battery? - with engine switched off etc, and after 2 days or so of sitting parked up.

I'm thinking around 8-10 volts?

Battery test needs to be done with the battery loaded.

Check voltage static. Minimum 12.2 volts. If its lower start the car for 15 mins to charge battery. Switch off then switch lights on for 15/20 seconds to remove surface charge.
Connect metre min 12.2 volts
Disconnect crank sensor
crank engine while checking voltage. Engine should crank for 15 seconds without dropping below 9 volts. If you see voltage below 9volts during 15 second test. Stop test as the battery is goosed.

Hawkeye D 25 February 2013 08:48 PM

Thank you, I'll see some results tomorrow.

360ste 25 February 2013 08:55 PM

Does it do it if you have left the car for a couple of days and just jump in and start it up? As it could be an issue with the bonnet switch. My bugeye which has a clifford alarm fitted would beep to say the bonnet was open after I had cleaned the car and the switch had got wet.

Gambit 25 February 2013 08:55 PM

Cold weather puts more strain on battery, i bet it only does it first thing in morning, or been standing for a while. Defo battery tho