ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   First Virgin letdown. (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/965561-first-virgin-letdown.html)

JackClark 13 February 2013 05:25 PM

First Virgin letdown.

An afternoon without broadband. First time in a Decade so can't really complain.

tubbytommy 13 February 2013 05:28 PM

if only apple did broadband.................

JackClark 13 February 2013 06:02 PM

If they did it would struggle to be as good as my cable connection, a decade of not asking if the Internet is down, that's incredible. Fixed before the announced time as well.

bioforger 13 February 2013 07:27 PM

Why didn't u tether your phone whilst it was down?

Torquemada 13 February 2013 07:31 PM

lol.

Wish I could go back to Virgin. Sky bb is doing my head in. Waiting for virgin to cable my street :(

JackClark 13 February 2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 10988777)
Why didn't u tether your phone whilst it was down?

Because my phone is so usable it made a nice change. The 4S is a classic device.

bioforger 13 February 2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10988892)
Because my phone is so usable it made a nice change. The 4S is a classic device.

What so the experience on your puny iphone's screen and in general is better than using a full HD monitor with your mac? Methinks not :)

If my net ever goes down (not happened yet in 5yrs btw) I'm tethering the s3 up asap. Even though the s3 is fantastic with anything online that you care to throw at it, web browsing is an absolute joy with the OLED screen you can't beat a powerful PC and massive LED monitor on t'net imo :)

bioforger 13 February 2013 08:54 PM

I suppose unlimited data on your plan helps :)

Nic k 13 February 2013 09:06 PM

I'm a virgin technician and I'm really happy with mine ;-)

paul98typer 13 February 2013 09:07 PM

I work for bt mostly fixing broadband faults for bt, sky, talk talk etc, and as an employee can get free broadband off bt.............

I have virgin broadband at home :thumb:

JackClark 13 February 2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 10988969)
I suppose unlimited data on your plan helps :)

Yes, unlimited data on my plan helps.

ALi-B 13 February 2013 10:34 PM

The only major letdown I've had with Virgin is the (not so) Super-hub's appauling ability to act as a Wifi/network router and its irritating screeching power supply (its louder than my PC even when I'm sat the other side of the room!)

Noted lots of people complaining about those two issues, but rather than moan and try and get a "engineer" to fix a unfiaxable problem, I easily fixed it buy putting my money where my mouth is....Asus wifi router and a totally silent PSU.

Happy days.

However...moving house at some point this year....Cable is in the street, but not in the house, and I'm led to belive the cable runs down teh pavement on the opposite side of teh road to the house. Going to get a site survey appointment to see what they can do and see if they'll let me run the internal cabling for my access points. Failing that it will have to be $ly broadband and super laggy latency :(

Nic k 13 February 2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10989202)
The only major letdown I've had with Virgin is the (not so) Super-hub's appauling ability to act as a Wifi/network router and its irritating screeching power supply (its louder than my PC even when I'm sat the other side of the room!)

Noted lots of people complaining about those two issues, but rather than moan and try and get a "engineer" to fix a unfiaxable problem, I easily fixed it buy putting my money where my mouth is....Asus wifi router and a totally silent PSU.

Happy days.

However...moving house at some point this year....Cable is in the street, but not in the house, and I'm led to belive the cable runs down teh pavement on the opposite side of teh road to the house. Going to get a site survey appointment to see what they can do and see if they'll let me run the internal cabling for my access points. Failing that it will have to be $ly broadband and super laggy latency :(

If the street is cabled but you dont have it to the house Virgin will install a new cable for you but it usually takes up to two weeks so you may have to be patient. Ive heared about the noisey modem power problem and it just needs a new plug adaptor, :)

ALi-B 14 February 2013 01:22 PM

Yeah have a site survey booked so I can have a talk to guys of what can/can't be done.

The original netgear PSU plug is a nasty switched mode jobby - which always squeel due to the pulse width modulation, obviously how well the inductor coils are glued down will make an impact on how loud it squeels. I've swapped it for one that uses a proper transformer and voltage regulator (of same voltage and current rating), so by design its impossible for it to squeel - ever! :)