ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Maybe time to get rid (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/965135-maybe-time-to-get-rid.html)

Littleted 10 February 2013 08:57 AM

Maybe time to get rid

In April I can send the scoob back, I think I'm going to do it due to being home based for the next year, I can't have it sat there.

So when I do I will get a cheap runabout maybe a company car, and wanted people's views on these cars, there cheap with my work and will give me a good mpg

Mini Cooper s countryman all 4 1.6 diesel

Astra gtc bi turbo

And the one I'm warming to

Merc a class 220cdi amg.

Ted

SRSport 10 February 2013 09:14 AM

Why are you looking at a diesel for a run around?

The Merc looks as though its in a different league to the others. If buying new and selling within 3 years that would be my choice but in petrol mode.

Littleted 10 February 2013 01:24 PM

yeah but the petrol on a company car scheme is a lot of money. the diesals are about 440 a month.

Id love that new AMG 45 that's coming but I wanna save some cash to move house..

SRSport 10 February 2013 02:16 PM

I dont know anything about company cars as I havent ever had one. Does that mean that if it goes wrong the company will pay for everything? If so then diesel all the way.

Littleted 10 February 2013 03:15 PM

yeah it does

SRSport 10 February 2013 03:26 PM

That would be a really nice feeling not having to worry about it.
What sort of jobs give you company cars?

marshall332bhp 10 February 2013 03:27 PM

Audi any day over a merc! Just got an a5 sport back. Only the 2 litre but its not underpowered as I though it would be.

SRSport 10 February 2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp (Post 10983444)
Audi any day over a merc! Just got an a5 sport back. Only the 2 litre but its not underpowered as I though it would be.

Could you say why you think that? Im assuming the Audis dont rust like the Mercs do but the op wouldnt be worrying about that. In my opinion Mercedes as a marque has a far better image and I much prefer their designs. Ive read that they drive a lot better as well.

marshall332bhp 10 February 2013 03:41 PM

Tbh I hate mercs from spending over 10 years as a painter in the motor trade.Yes they do rust like mad. They don't drive nice at all from my experience unless the very latest models have had some vast improvments. I just don't like the feel of them on the road. They do look nice the new ones but for me I prefer the audis. Mine is the s line although there isn't a massive spec difference granted but the ride and handling are improved. This is only my view. I no what I like and how I like to drive but no doubt the usual p#*^%s will pipe up soon.

SRSport 10 February 2013 04:20 PM

Have to admit the S3 is nice and was considered for a moment but they are VAG cars and I have been thoroughly put off from many experiences with shocking VW reliability. As a private buyer I think the only German car I would consider would be the 6 cylindered BMWs.

On the Merc front, I spent yesterday repairing yet more rust on the tailgate, fortunately I now know how to sort it out and machine the repair to make it very inconspicuous. I have to phone Mercedes UK tomorrow as doors that have already been replaced due to rust are rusting again! :brickwall Im amazed they havent made Watchdog yet.

marshall332bhp 10 February 2013 04:49 PM

I no mate. It's unreal the lack of rust protection they have. Infact its a disgrace.

SRSport 10 February 2013 04:54 PM

When I bought my Mercedes 18 months ago I phoned Mercedes Uk to discuss a few matters. I asked them about rust and they interrupted me and said, "sorry sir, its a Mercedes, they dont rust"! As if to say 'how dare I suggest such a thing'.

Im experiencing 2 rust issues. Firstly there is the rust that is forming on the panels due to thin paint and not treating the panels properly and then there is the corrosion on the seams. I keep it immaculate and treat it with Autofinesse Spirit, a £90 wax. I may as well chuck washing up liquid all over it to clean it, with all the good it does.

SRSport 10 February 2013 04:55 PM

Sorry Littleted, have we helped with any decisions yet? lol.

Littleted 10 February 2013 04:59 PM

I do like Audis but I don't want an A3 they look old now.

I did look at the A4 Black edition but im looking at 510+ a month for that then I enter the, ( for a little bit more I can get this and this ) 680 gets me a 330D Msport.
675 gets me a 520D msport and I don't want that much in my car.

I liked the Merc because it gets good reviews and looks good if you get the AMG kit.
Im not a Merc fan though mate had the Eclass and injectors blew twice, right bag of ****e.

Reason I looked at the Mini was its 4WD, and wife likes it, so I could use her Zaffy

I cant have Skodas not on the list as I would have that VRS diesel. even a leon FR but there not on either :/

Just mainstream

Vauxhall
BMW
Citreon
Honda
Volvo and many more

Littleted 10 February 2013 05:12 PM

http://images.sytner.co.uk/w3images/...ew_image_1.jpg

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/up...yman2011fd.jpg

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_pi..._548137_25.jpg

these are what im looking at

marshall332bhp 10 February 2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10983597)
When I bought my Mercedes 18 months ago I phoned Mercedes Uk to discuss a few matters. I asked them about rust and they interrupted me and said, "sorry sir, its a Mercedes, they dont rust"! As if to say 'how dare I suggest such a thing'.

Im experiencing 2 rust issues. Firstly there is the rust that is forming on the panels due to thin paint and not treating the panels properly and then there is the corrosion on the seams. I keep it immaculate and treat it with Autofinesse Spirit, a £90 wax. I may as well chuck washing up liquid all over it to clean it, with all the good it does.

I would have laughed when they said it didn't rust. There renound for rust above anything else. But we seem to be hijacking the thread here. Sorry. I think ad choose the mini tbh. Not a bad car compared to when they first come out. Not that they weren't there but they have come along way. Like u say best if both worlds with the wife willing to drive it from time to time

Infected by sti 10 February 2013 06:01 PM

Jag xf diesel, good all rounder

SRSport 10 February 2013 07:56 PM

A class looks the nicest and if I wasnt the one footing the bill for any problems I would chose that. The mini, although beefed up, still looks a bit metrosexual for my liking, people would just expect you to walk out with a man bag.

Is the XF diesel on an option?

Littleted 10 February 2013 08:28 PM

Naa Jags not on

Herbie. 10 February 2013 10:15 PM

I like the look of the GTC biturbo

Brun 10 February 2013 10:19 PM

I'd be having a 330d. If I wanted to find out how fast the AA was I'd take the Audi ;)

marshall332bhp 11 February 2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 10984440)
I'd be having a 330d. If I wanted to find out how fast the AA was I'd take the Audi ;)

Or if u want a car u can't drive all year round or a one your wife will put into a hedge when's its frosty take the BMW

Matteeboy 11 February 2013 07:47 AM

All these people dismissing correct-wheel-drive cars. Tut tut.

SRSport 11 February 2013 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 10984440)

So its not just me then who has low opinion on VAG cars. I would still go with the A class but perhaps look to invest in winter tyres.

maff125 11 February 2013 10:08 AM

The mini is one ugly car, they would have to pay me to drive that!!!

Littleted 11 February 2013 04:48 PM

I do like the Astra TBH, but ive just looked and Lex don't have it on the list, None of the Bi turbos :/

pacenote 11 February 2013 05:57 PM

How big is that "mini " :freak3:

None of those would replace the driving dynamic of the Sti but thats prob not OP wants if it's just a runabout.

Subaru BRZ ?

Orangio 11 February 2013 06:50 PM

Haven't you wrote in your first post that your looking at selling your scooby for a cheap run around, and then your talking about paying £500+ a month :wonder:

£500 pm isn't cheap :lol1:

Brun 11 February 2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp (Post 10984693)
Or if u want a car u can't drive all year round or a one your wife will put into a hedge when's its frosty take the BMW

My Wife doesn't need frost or a BMW to find a hedge :d

Brun 11 February 2013 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10984749)
So its not just me then who has low opinion on VAG cars. I would still go with the A class but perhaps look to invest in winter tyres.

People don't believe me when I say how many VAGs I see parked on the hard shoulder - someone on a thread last year didn't believe me so I went to the trouble of taking note over a 6 week period and it went something like - of 21 cars broken down, 14 were VW group and 9 of those were Audis iirc :eek: