ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   12 months on...which TV? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/964906-12-months-on-which-tv.html)

alcazar 07 February 2013 09:31 PM

12 months on...which TV?

LED? (Yes I know there's really no such thing, yet).
Plasma?

Which make?

A year ago, the choice was the Panny plasma, but have LED TV's caught up?
And what of other manufacturers, eg: Samsung?

And what are the differences between the same sized sets from the same manufacturer?

Do ALL thin TV's need a soundbar etc?

Thanks for any input.

Jamie330S 07 February 2013 09:32 PM

Samsung UE55ES6800 :thumb:

stilover 07 February 2013 09:38 PM

I had the same dilema. Bought another Plasma.

OLED's are out soon.

alcazar 07 February 2013 09:38 PM

When? and are they any better than backlit LED?

chocolate_o_brian 07 February 2013 09:41 PM

Did you see my TV at mine earlier? £400 bargain. 40" Samsung LED, 1080x1920 proper HD and a genuinely great picture quality. Very thin with a small screen border and the screen is always cool and easy to clean. Hook up to any decent surround sound/DVD player combo and you have a good basic set up.

Money no object it'd be Panasonic but Samsung have been my choice for 6 years and faultless, even with a toddler and sticky fingers!

daviee 07 February 2013 10:01 PM

This is my next buy to replace my trusty Samgsung 40 LCD after 5 year trouble free its a smart tv led backlit and the selling point is the five year warrenty. It works out less than a tv liecence over five years.
http://www.johnlewis.com/231560691/Product.aspx

urban 08 February 2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10980087)

Do ALL thin TV's need a soundbar etc?

I think they do.

Its OK for a bedroom, but not good enough for the living room.

stevep360 08 February 2013 08:45 AM

just put a smart led samsung in the bedroom, 40 inch well pleased with it

Power Junkie 08 February 2013 09:05 AM

Sharp are doing some good screens now, most I have seen beat the Samsungs pound for pound, just seen their no glasses 3D screen which was good.

dpb 08 February 2013 09:08 AM

Indeed be budgeting for sound at the same time and also some kind of additional networking, if you get a Viera like we did. :rolleyes:

Not to mention recording ability, it probably won't work with vhs player,

rich.84 08 February 2013 09:13 AM

Iv got 47 led Samsung 7000 great tv pic is great. Cost 1699
But you can get Panasonic for 1000 which is a great tv can't remember tho model number.
Just have a good look about first.

alcazar 08 February 2013 12:27 PM

I have an above average quality HiFi sat next to the TV, I assume I could play the TV through that when I wanted?
It doesn't have a dedicated AV input, but does have Aux. (Cyrus).

alcazar 08 February 2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Power Junkie (Post 10980455)
Sharp are doing some good screens now, most I have seen beat the Samsungs pound for pound, just seen their no glasses 3D screen which was good.

I'm afraid Sharp are one of two electronics companies of which I am extremely wary, the other being Philips.

Had some bad experiences with both in the past, compounded by VERY poor customer care, so won't now look at their stuff.

Shane 08 February 2013 12:31 PM

Worth finding your local Richer Sounds, they have some idea of what they're on about in there. I went in knowing that it had to be Panasonic or Sony and ended up with a 42" LG LCD, been as good as gold for 2 years and found the picture better than the equivalent Samsung, Panasonic and Sony at the time.

Shane

jaymaxy 08 February 2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10980656)
I have an above average quality HiFi sat next to the TV, I assume I could play the TV through that when I wanted?
It doesn't have a dedicated AV input, but does have Aux. (Cyrus).

If your hifi has a digital opitcal output and so do`s the tv then yes

alcazar 08 February 2013 12:33 PM

My nearest stores are 35 miles over a £3 bridge, or 50 miles.....remember we live in a cultural desert here:D

I'd rather buy local even at the expense of higher price, as any problems are then easier.

alcazar 08 February 2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaymaxy (Post 10980660)
If your hifi has a digital opitcal output and so do`s the tv then yes

Nope, only inputs are RCA phono.

PeteBrant 08 February 2013 12:37 PM

The telly to get at th emoment (without spending silly money) is the Panasonic ST50 series. Its plasma, THX certified and easliy the best bang for your buck. The picture quality is unrivalled at this price point (£699 for a 42").

For various reasons though I wanted a LED and its lighter wiehgt and daytime vieweing ability so I went for a Samsung 40ES6300. Its an absolute beauty and you pick them up for £550.

Steve vRS 08 February 2013 03:27 PM

What are the views on 3D? Flash in the pan or don't buy without 3D?

Ta

Steve

chocolate_o_brian 08 February 2013 05:23 PM

Me and Jeff have been down Currys just now (he was helping me with my houses comedy electrics) and I think he wants a plasma but full HD. A lot of the plasma TV (inc. Pannys) were only HD 'ready' and 768x1024 pixels not 1024x1980 etc.

I suggested LED like mine but it doesn't exist apparently :D

EddScott 08 February 2013 05:31 PM

If I were buying a new TV now I would check on Sky when the F1 testing will be shown in 3D. Find a shop with a 3D TV and watch the entire testing session in 3D.

I'd go 3D if the F1 looks good.

alcazar 08 February 2013 05:32 PM

No such thing as LED. LED backlit, or side lit, maybe, but it's still LCD technology......

I am finding that the viewing angle isn't as good with LED, colours fade the moment you get away from the centre. Plasma doesn't.

Can't see this happening now anyway, since I've ALSO got to fork out for a TV stand and a soundbar...all stuff that USED to come with the TV.....:rolleyes:

drb5 08 February 2013 06:22 PM

Occasionally I pop into Currys to have a gander at TV's and recently I've been blown away by some of them!

They appear to be normal LED, plasma or LCD TV's, but the picture they show is so 3D like. I HAVE noticed one or two of them showed a ever so slight flicker though...

chocolate_o_brian 08 February 2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10980968)
No such thing as LED. LED backlit, or side lit, maybe, but it's still LCD technology......

I am finding that the viewing angle isn't as good with LED, colours fade the moment you get away from the centre. Plasma doesn't.

Can't see this happening now anyway, since I've ALSO got to fork out for a TV stand and a soundbar...all stuff that USED to come with the TV.....:rolleyes:

NO YOU DON'T! :lol1:

God you're difficult sometimes. :D

TV above big ass fireplace, no need for stand and current speakers either side. Job done and just get your sodding plasma already :D

stamina_daddy 08 February 2013 11:12 PM

Plasma for me,had 2 plasmas and 2 lcd and both lcd are now kapput. First plasma still going strong after 6 years. 2nd 3d 42" plasma is a panasonic and picture is awesome. 3d is brilliant.

Ellie* 09 February 2013 12:46 AM

I was going to get an LG LCD but richer sounds advised against that.
Went for a 42" viera plasma and it's great. Don't need additional sound. Was only £340.

Osimabu 09 February 2013 08:36 AM

I tried a Toshiba 46" LED in late 2011 (from John Lewis) and found that unless you were straight in front of it, the picture was washed out. It went back and we went for a Panasonic TX-P50VT30B 50-inch plasma in the end. It's absolutely fantastic.

I believe the newer model is supposed to be even better, but we got a five year Panasonic warranty with ours, so that's us sorted until 2016 at the earliest.

legb4rsk 09 February 2013 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10981096)
NO YOU DON'T! :lol1:

God you're difficult sometimes. :D

TV above big ass fireplace, no need for stand and current speakers either side. Job done and just get your sodding plasma already :D

It is not recommended to put tv screens above your eye level when you are seated as it will be out of your natural eye line,the most common mistake when positioning a screen.Also a big screen above a fireplace or up on a wall dominates a room & looks terrible in my humble opinion.:)

his-n-her-scoobs 09 February 2013 10:43 AM

+1

And Alcazar, have the same audio problem as you, except they are NAIM's and I won't change them for anything (except bigger NAIM's). Think most of the modern tv's still give the phono out option, but for how long?

:)

ScoobyJawa 09 February 2013 11:03 AM

search is your friend, only discussed a few weeks ago :p

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-a...ma-or-led.html