ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Old fridge and freezer "nicked" out of my garden. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/964608-old-fridge-and-freezer-nicked-out-of-my-garden.html)

alcazar 05 February 2013 05:56 PM

Old fridge and freezer "nicked" out of my garden.

Very odd. I've just replaced them with a single new unit. They were outside the back door awaiting me having the hatchback to transport them to the dump next weekend.
This morning I come down: they've gone....

I mean, it's theft, but someone has done me a favour....

legb4rsk 05 February 2013 06:11 PM

Probably Cool Hand Luke.

tubbytommy 05 February 2013 06:12 PM

it will be the local friendly travelling community

JayM 05 February 2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10976793)
it will be the local friendly travelling community

This.

They drive around the various estates near me all day every day in their pickup style van things, slowly getting fuller and fuller with washers, cookers, fridges etc, and even bikes.. which I'm not sure are willingly donated by their owners :confused:

Chip 05 February 2013 06:56 PM

Thieving pikey scum I suspect

tubbytommy 05 February 2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JayM (Post 10976842)
This.

They drive around the various estates near me all day every day in their pickup style van things, slowly getting fuller and fuller with washers, cookers, fridges etc, and even bikes.. which I'm not sure are willingly donated by their owners :confused:

yup they do that here to making an "honest" living.

i changed some tyres a while back and had the old ones on my drive ready to take to the tip and they nicked them..

yellowvanman 05 February 2013 07:18 PM

That will be the Metal Fairies :thumb:

They save me a fortune in waste charges, always leave anything metal, next to the skip, and usually it disappears within a few hours.

Some of the Fairies even ask if it's ok, usually with an Irish accent!!!!!

jacko84 05 February 2013 07:18 PM

i had a couple of old knackered car batteries sat in a bush on my drive until i got around to taking them down the tip.... went to take then down the tip and they were gone!
I live in the sticks too so was shocked to think travlers had been prawling my garden!

Quite an acheivment taking a fridge and a freezer tho!

Fat Boy 05 February 2013 08:18 PM

I hired a skip once to empty out sheds, attic and cellar of such gems as broken toasters and seized lawn mowers and I couldn't actually fill the skip quickly enough as every time I put something in there this skip goblin type would arrive in his old shed and clamber into the skip for the latest tasty gear...

I was actually getting embarrassed - I'd hired a skip and I was going to have to ask them to take it away empty, so in the end I saved up a pile of junk, chucked it in and then lopped a few tins of old paint all over it.

The garbage orcs weren't happy with me ,but at least I didn't look completely mad when the skip lorry came back :)

gazzawrx 05 February 2013 08:29 PM

Its the copper bottles and radiator type grids on the back of the fridges and freezers thats worth the money, thats why theyve knicked them.:thumb:

dpb 05 February 2013 08:32 PM

Rest of it in the nearest ditch presumably

gazzawrx 05 February 2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10977070)
Rest of it in the nearest ditch presumably

More than likely, im pretty sure the law changed recently and you're now no longer able to weigh white goods in at the scrappies, they have to be taken the tip.

Osimabu 05 February 2013 09:33 PM

Since early December last year, no scrap yard can pay for scrap in cash, so it has to be either a cheque or paid into your bank account. I imagine this has caused the "travelling community" a bit of head scratching.

I must admit though, the amazing disappearing scrap metal scenario can be quite useful at times if you just want to get rid of some without the hassle of getting it to the tip.

alcazar 05 February 2013 09:35 PM

Part of wants to report the theft.

The other part is glad they've gone....

chocolate_o_brian 05 February 2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10977228)
Part of wants to report the theft.

The other part is glad they've gone....

You go for the Bosch or Beko?

Badger_88 05 February 2013 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jacko84 (Post 10976909)
i had a couple of old knackered car batteries sat in a bush on my drive until i got around to taking them down the tip.... went to take then down the tip and they were gone!
I live in the sticks too so was shocked to think travlers had been prawling my garden!

Quite an acheivment taking a fridge and a freezer tho!

Car batteries weigh in at about £5 a piece

dpb 05 February 2013 10:36 PM

Where.?!

skoobidude 05 February 2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10976762)
Very odd. I've just replaced them with a single new unit. They were outside the back door awaiting me having the hatchback to transport them to the dump next weekend.
This morning I come down: they've gone....

I mean, it's theft, but someone has done me a favour....

So did someone get in to your back garden for these?

prodriverules 05 February 2013 11:18 PM

There's a pikey van that comes into my area once a week with a loud speaker on his van blaring 'any old iron' accompanied by a horn siren you wouldn't believe.
I'm in stitches every-time if I'm about.

scud8 05 February 2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Osimabu (Post 10977215)
Since early December last year, no scrap yard can pay for scrap in cash, so it has to be either a cheque or paid into your bank account. I imagine this has caused the "travelling community" a bit of head scratching.

By a strange coincidence, many scrap metal yards have started up cheque cashing services.

Bubba po 06 February 2013 07:36 AM

I had a visit from these friendly recyclers a while ago and I allowed them to take my old washing machine. Then they saw fit to chuck my steel security post in the van as well. It'll only cost me about 40 quid to replace, but I'm sure they got two quid for it at weigh-in. :rolleyes:

alcazar 06 February 2013 11:43 AM

Andy: BEKO.

Skoobidude: yeah, but it's not what it seems, BOTH sides of the house have access to a road. My cars come in from the rear.

J4CKO 06 February 2013 11:57 AM

We have a guy come down every few days, I have given him a few things as I think, if they dont nick stuff it a is a useful thing, I put a new oven in and just as I had lumped it out I heard his racket and flagged him down, I helped him get the old one on his truck and off he went, he has a couple of quids worth of steel and I dotn ahve to go and run the gauntlet at the "Recycling Centre", usually have to wait three hours whilst a middle aged woman faffs arounf emptying a years worth of hedge clippings at 1 twig per minute, handling them as if they are razor wire whilst wearing some "Ker-azay" gardening gloves and cute wellies.

David Lock 06 February 2013 12:01 PM

But it did need a tidy up :)

http://www.ashfieldhomes.co.uk/image...n%20garden.JPG

Tidgy 06 February 2013 12:19 PM

we had that happen, old washing machine dumped by the side of the house on the driveway to get skipped when the skip arrived. It vanished overnight. Most anoying thing was they actualy broke the gate getting it out (was behind a wraught iron gate), if they had asked they could have had the thing for free and saved the muching around sorting the mess they made.

pikey *******s

Bristol98 06 February 2013 12:44 PM

LOL, I had similar a while back with a working fridge, put a sticker on "free to anyone" and it sat there for three or four weeks. Changed the sticker to "working £10, please knock" gone in 24 hours! Who needs skips eh? :D

CrisPDuk 06 February 2013 01:00 PM

The scrap goblins are handy at times, I just leave anything I want gone at the end of the drive in a morning, it's never there when I come home :thumb:
Even knackered tyres, which I'm sure just get torched in a field somewhere so they can recover the beads :wonder:

The downside is, anything you don't want gone has to be securely stowed, well out of sight :eek:

ALi-B 06 February 2013 01:24 PM

I'm amazed it lasted overnight...we get at least two transit tippers drive past our house everyday shouting on a tannoy playing a loop from a tape player "I earn, scrap I earnn, or aluminiurrrm or wot ya wunt takerrrn"

Condensor is usually copper or steel and evaporator aluminium, casing and compressor is steel. If its 134a or R600 etc, the gas is worth about a quid (literally £1...but de-gas 100 fridges and thats £100 ;) ).

alcazar 06 February 2013 02:15 PM

I left two discs from the front of the Scoob out for one who asked for them while I was starting the job. I promised him he could have them, but he never came back.

TelBoy 06 February 2013 03:28 PM

Funnily enough this happened to me last Saturday morning. I had put my defunkt Bosch dishwasher on the drive just outside the front door, to make it easier for the guys from the shop to load it onto their van. I quickly popped to the shops, and it had gone when i returned. Thinking i'd missed my delivery slot, the guy at the shop told me the van hadn't even left, so i'd been visited by the scrap collectors. Mixed feelings - theft vs favour. Shook me up for a few minutes though.