ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Question about SORN (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/964442-question-about-sorn.html)

Saxo Boy 04 February 2013 01:24 PM

Question about SORN

If you SORN declare a car do you have to surrender your tax?

This is what I want to do (it's a little complicated).

We have a Volvo T5 insured on my wife's policy. I want to replace it with a Seat Leon FR TDi within 14 days. We also want to buy a cheap runaround to become the second car. I could be buying the runaround tonight and I'd want to insure that on my wife's policy. It would take over from the Volvo with immediate effect until I buy the Leon which I'd insure in my name.

The Volvo is due it's MOT at the end of the month and we are taking it to a friends garage (100+ miles away) while visiting inlaws.

Because of the retarded new rules we cannot have an uninsured car unless we SORN declare it. What I want to do is SORN the volvo tonight for 3-4 weeks and then unSORN it for a week or two to MOT it and then sell it (obviously I'd arrange temp insurance while it is being used).

Can you easily SORN for such a short period without undue mucking about? I don't want to have to send away the tax disk and then reapply for a new one all within 3-4 weeks.

It's so annoying that you can't just leave your own car on your own drive taxed but uninsured :rolleyes:

f1_fan 04 February 2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 10974627)
If you SORN declare a car do you have to surrender your tax?

This is what I want to do (it's a little complicated).

We have a Volvo T5 insured on my wife's policy. I want to replace it with a Seat Leon FR TDi within 14 days. We also want to buy a cheap runaround to become the second car. I could be buying the runaround tonight and I'd want to insure that on my wife's policy. It would take over from the Volvo with immediate effect until I buy the Leon which I'd insure in my name.

The Volvo is due it's MOT at the end of the month and we are taking it to a friends garage (100+ miles away) while visiting inlaws.

Because of the retarded new rules we cannot have an uninsured car unless we SORN declare it. What I want to do is SORN the volvo tonight for 3-4 weeks and then unSORN it for a week or two to MOT it and then sell it (obviously I'd arrange temp insurance while it is being used).

Can you easily SORN for such a short period without undue mucking about? I don't want to have to send away the tax disk and then reapply for a new one all within 3-4 weeks.

It's so annoying that you can't just leave your own car on your own drive taxed but uninsured :rolleyes:

Yes in theory you can do exactly that, but you and I both know where the DVLA are involved the f**k up fairy will doubtless pay you a visit :(

I agree, it gets right up my f**king nose that I can't have a car I own on land that I own without having to tell some government spook for fear of yet another fine! :mad:

saints_forever 04 February 2013 01:35 PM

It does sound complicated. Would it not be easier to get temp insurance for the new car until you sell the Volvo? That way all of the cars are insured and would be fine on the road. Can't imagine you will be out of pocket as you would only have to pay for 6 months tax on the Volvo when you come to unsorning it and selling anyway.

Saxo Boy 04 February 2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by saints_forever (Post 10974655)
It does sound complicated. Would it not be easier to get temp insurance for the new car until you sell the Volvo? That way all of the cars are insured and would be fine on the road. Can't imagine you will be out of pocket as you would only have to pay for 6 months tax on the Volvo when you come to unsorning it and selling anyway.

I'll look into it, but from previous experience that was really expensive.

When I had my first Impreza I bought John Banks old 406 V6 and started to use that to go to work. I insured the Impreza as a second car on the policy for a temporary period. All I remember was that my NCD could only apply to the primary vehicle. In short I was 24/yo and insuring a scooby with zero NCD. I only had to do it for 8-12 weeks but I was getting raped!

saints_forever 04 February 2013 02:10 PM

I had the problem of trying to sell my old clio 182 whilst switching my scoob to my main policy. Admiral, who I am with, charged me £32 for the month to insure it, which I didn't think was too bad. Should be able to get the Volvo cheaper. At least then you could put it up for sale maybe on Gumtree before it goes in for the mot for the price you want, and somebody might come along and buy it without the new mot. Otherwise you could barter and say I'll stick an mot on.

hodgy0_2 04 February 2013 02:17 PM

essentially you want to declare it SORN for Insurance purposes rather than Road Tax purposes

don't see why not tbh

I don't think a car being untaxed is a requirment of SORN in the same way a car being Uninsured is a requirment of SORN