ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Resale Value (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/963726-resale-value.html)

NormantheDog 28 January 2013 10:29 PM

Resale Value

Can anyone tell me how much difference there would be on the resale of a car as a comparison between a 62 and a 13 plate? I have been offered both at the same price from different dealers. The 62 has £2190 worth of extras and finished in black but has to be registered before March the other is in White with £1405 worth of extras but dealer happy to register after 01 March. Car is an Audi RS3 so all are built these are the last unregistered vehicles so can't build myself if that makes sense. Just want to know how much between 6 month plates.

marshall332bhp 28 January 2013 10:42 PM

Had the same trouble wen we bought a new A3 and was told as long as we traded it in would make no odds because on paper it's only as old as when registered not what plate it has if that makes sense. We traded it in on Saturday 4 years old and true to there word we got a very very good price against the A5 especially for a dealer

bighead 28 January 2013 10:58 PM

take the black one , as that will sell, where the white one is less appealing when the times comes to get rid :D

NormantheDog 28 January 2013 11:09 PM

They do look pretty cool in white and wasn't a big fan of the salesman selling the black one.

marshall332bhp 28 January 2013 11:21 PM

White is the new black

Jamescsti 29 January 2013 07:16 AM

I think the age won't make any difference. It will be more down to what extras are on the car, condition, mileage.

Matteeboy 29 January 2013 08:57 AM

Funny how quickly the new reg becomes "old" Our year old van is already about two reg numbers old!!

RS3 is one of the few cars I would consider in white. Then I'd get an M135i ;-)

f1_fan 29 January 2013 10:15 AM

The amount of difference will be affected by when you decide to get rid of it. If you are only going to keep it a couple of years then the difference may be noticaeable, but if you keep it 5 years it will be less so.

My guess at 3 years old the difference would be £750 ish, but as above condition will play a part too.

I don't think the extras fitted matter too much in terms of resale value unless they are something major like sat nav.

All that said though I really wouldn't get too hung up on it as surely the difference at its biggest will be offset by choosing the car you want now. It's not a massive amount of money over a few years.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Matteeboy 29 January 2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10965991)
The amount of difference will be affected by when you decide to get rid of it. If you are only going to keep it a couple of years then the difference may be noticaeable, but if you keep it 5 years it will be less so.

My guess at 3 years old the difference would be £750 ish, but as above condition will play a part too.

I don't think the extras fitted matter too much in terms of resale value unless they are something major like sat nav.

All that said though I really wouldn't get too hung up on it as surely the difference at its biggest will be offset by choosing the car you want now. It's not a massive amount of money over a few years.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This

For once :thumb:

stilover 29 January 2013 01:06 PM

Come selling or trade-in, the dealer will suck air through his teeth and claim you should have bought the other one becuase of.......

I've had this before. Who cares? Buy the car `YOU WANT` not wich one will be worth an extra £500 in 3 years time.

I'd buy the Black one.

marshall332bhp 29 January 2013 03:53 PM

And they might not even be doing a 13 plate. As the in laws were told last week when they ordered there new A3 because they think people wont buy a car with a 13 plate. And that's from the dealer.

NormantheDog 29 January 2013 04:12 PM

Well the black one got £500 cheaper today but it comes with the aluminium styling pack externally which I don't really like but may learn to like it of the difference is enough if you know what I mean. The white one doesn't want to get into a bidding war.......................

stilover 29 January 2013 05:16 PM

The best colour combo for me in the RS3, is Daytona Grey and the aluminium styling pack.

Abx 29 January 2013 05:18 PM

Get what you prefer, when I was looking at the MY11 STI's last month I was looking at something about a year old (not plate) so got a 61 as that at the time happened to be 14 months old so ticked the box. With 2 plates a year now I think the 'new' car thing has been diluted, that and within a week it had my private reg on so no one new anyway!

stevie1982 29 January 2013 10:03 PM

Would have say it would come down to which one I preferred the look of as the amount of difference come sale time would be so little. Personally the colour thing wouldn't matter as I imagine the market for both would be similar would be a bit different if the other colour was say a red, green or yellow. The extras I agree don't add value yet the do make your car stand out over a similar aged and mile car that could be the reason why yours is bought and not the lesser spec'd car. Think Arron hits the nail to. The reg change is so often now it has diluted the want for the latest registered car and I would hazard a guess most will look for the in between reg to save a few quid

NormantheDog 29 January 2013 10:12 PM

The advantage of the '13' plate is it will be one of the last of about 10 in the country on a '13' as the only ones left are a handful at HQ sat gathering dust as the run has ended. The new shape is now being knocked out so probably a new RS3 in a year or so's time hence possible deals at the moment.

scoobynutta555 29 January 2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by marshall332bhp (Post 10965708)
White is the new black

I mostly buy black cars, although there have been a few exceptions. White is a fad colour which means it'll go out of favour and you'll lose out resale time. Besides, black looks better :D

marshall332bhp 29 January 2013 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555 (Post 10967166)
I mostly buy black cars, although there have been a few exceptions. White is a fad colour which means it'll go out of favour and you'll lose out resale time. Besides, black looks better :D

Well I thought it was when they started coming into work when I worked in the bodyshop but saying as that was 3 year ago and u see more and more white cars on the road can u really say its a fad colour??? I think not! It's here to stay am afraid

marshall332bhp 29 January 2013 10:28 PM

And am not a fan of black cars. Probably because of my trained eye they always look a mess to me.

NormantheDog 29 January 2013 10:44 PM

I probably prefer the black as it hides the tar and we get covered down here - don't mind cleaning but not every day! The problem with the black one is it has that hideous aluminium styling pack which I am guessing is stuck on somehow and not easily removable. The front I could live with it;s the daft pieces on the door handles and sides of the spoiler on the hatch section and I think after all the above is where my dilemma is not helped now by the black being 500 cheaper!

scoobynutta555 29 January 2013 11:29 PM

Back to the point of the op, black will sell better. Trained eye, who are you Steve Austin? ;)

marshall332bhp 30 January 2013 05:40 AM

No an experienced paint sprayer.

marshall332bhp 30 January 2013 05:43 AM

Ad say from what you have been saying the black be the best option for you. Am sure the aluminium will grow on ya

billythekid 30 January 2013 11:14 AM

I would get the new plate, if it were me.

billythekid 30 January 2013 11:15 AM

PS - let me know how you get on with it - I have an S3 and thinking of going for the RS3 if used prices come down a bit in the next 6 months.

NormantheDog 30 January 2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 10967597)
PS - let me know how you get on with it - I have an S3 and thinking of going for the RS3 if used prices come down a bit in the next 6 months.

The new RS3 should be coming out next year so that may hit used prices a little.

Dave Thornton 30 January 2013 06:04 PM

OP - Very simple way to resolve this. Go to another Audi dealer, tell him you have a Feb 2012 61 plate in black with xxx extras and a Mar 2012 12 plate in white with xxx extras - both have the same mileage and in the same condition. How much will he give you for each?

NormantheDog 30 January 2013 09:11 PM

Well that was the most bizarre outcome in my 43 years....................if anyone wants to know send me a message as until I have collected the car I won't believe it and don't want to put bad luck on the situation!

robby 30 January 2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by NormantheDog (Post 10968457)
Well that was the most bizarre outcome in my 43 years....................if anyone wants to know send me a message as until I have collected the car I won't believe it and don't want to put bad luck on the situation!

Do tell - we all want to know the outcome

stilover 31 January 2013 01:16 PM

I've PM'd you. But better to write in on here. saves you writing the same PM 100 times. :thumb: