ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   help please :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/962976-help-please.html)

mucka 22 January 2013 10:27 PM

help please :(

Finally come to finish my wagon turbo, just fitted new exhaust gaskets, took for a spin and didnt thrash it, pulled back on my drive after 10mins driving and seems to be alot of steam coming from downpipe/bottom part of turbo flange like gasket area, have tryed to tighten and quite tight.

also ive got forged recirv valve fitted, start of drive seems boost really well, then you hear big dumping sound as i changed gear, and power gone :(

any ideas?? Gutted :(

gazney101 22 January 2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mucka (Post 10956785)
Finally come to finish my wagon turbo, just fitted new exhaust gaskets, took for a spin and didnt thrash it, pulled back on my drive after 10mins driving and seems to be alot of steam coming from downpipe/bottom part of turbo flange like gasket area, have tryed to tighten and quite tight.

also ive got forged recirv valve fitted, start of drive seems boost really well, then you hear big dumping sound as i changed gear, and power gone :(

any ideas?? Gutted :(

Sounds normal for the new gaskets to be smoking for a bit but problem with boost sounds likely that ur recirc valve is sticking open.

mucka 22 January 2013 11:55 PM

Well i thought they must burn/shrink in time, and ok cool about recirv... didnt think about that. is it aa new recirv or can you repair?

chocolate_o_brian 23 January 2013 02:57 AM

Re-circ valves are cheap enough second hand - you didn't state what your car is.

I usually use a bit of exhaust paste with gaskets and any smoke etc. is just excess burning off. Steam was maybe condensation from the car being in the cold perhaps?

lisa_z 23 January 2013 06:57 AM

Be carefull car prob only just heated up at 10 mins of driving should not be using much boost before that anyway. Let her heat up before rt foot goes down
Xx ;)

mucka 23 January 2013 08:08 AM

Sorry its a wagon 2lt turbo 1996. Thanks for your replies

scoobyricht 23 January 2013 08:09 AM

Take the recirc valve off and have a play with it, see how smoothly the piston bit moves, maybe lube it up a bit. also check around for pipes which might have come off when building boost. The smoke/steam is more than likely condensation or oily hand prints from when you put it back together. should clear after a little while but keep an eye on it. make sure rocker gaskets aint leaking onto the manifold on the turbo side.

JDM_Stig 23 January 2013 08:59 AM

do you still have the standard dv to try ?

wrx fifer 23 January 2013 09:11 AM

as above stick the standard one one

yabbadoo4 23 January 2013 09:40 AM

sounds like the problem i had when i bought my wagon, it had a crappy baileys dump valve and it would stick open and dump boost as i was accelerating exactly as you describe. change it out for another if you can and see if it cures it.

mucka 24 January 2013 08:38 AM

I will clean off all crime etc, and no i dont have the standard dv, might look about for one. thanks all