ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   RIP Atari, a legend passes (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/962848-rip-atari-a-legend-passes.html)

mart360 21 January 2013 09:51 PM

RIP Atari, a legend passes

Atari has filed for Bankcruptcy

http://news.sky.com/story/1040846/ga...for-bankruptcy

A Sad day :(,

I grew up with Some of Nolan Bushnell's finest stuff,

Tempest
Missile Command
Asteroids

Mart :(

pslewis 21 January 2013 09:54 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent many an hour on their games - do you remember their fantastic handheld game console? The Lynx? Brilliant!

bioforger 21 January 2013 09:56 PM

The Amiganuts will be having a field day.

Tidgy 21 January 2013 10:02 PM

thast the test drive unlimted series gone then :o

kinda explains why i have had no reply from tech services for a long time

pslewis 21 January 2013 10:03 PM

I had an Atari ST, Atari 2600 ...... and an Amiga - that was over 20 year ago, surely the wars between the camps have long since ended????

bioforger 21 January 2013 10:05 PM

hah you'd think so wouldn't you, but the war between the 2 camps runs deep and long :)

Tidgy 21 January 2013 10:09 PM

ahh, the devil is in the detail. The companies int eh us have filed for bankrupcy protection due to the parent comapny in france goign tits up. Game developer arm have been keeping the whole company afloat for years apparently

Torquemada 21 January 2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10954985)

I spent many an hour on their games - do you remember their fantastic handheld game console? The Lynx? Brilliant!

Damn! That's just a bit cack.

I still have two Lynx in a drawer somewhere, one still works afaik! Great bits of kit. Also had an st 520 and a jaguar.

Played AvP on the jag at an old school gaming night in Aldershot last year and it still looked great for a 20 year old console.

Shame to see the old gaming giant in such a state although I'm amazed it took this long, considering.

Neanderthal 21 January 2013 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10954985)

Best handheld console of that time.

RobsyUK 21 January 2013 10:52 PM

I thought this fizzled out ages ago. ..? What have they been doing recently?

Tidgy 21 January 2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10955129)
I thought this fizzled out ages ago. ..? What have they been doing recently?

test drive unlimited was one of theres

Bubba po 21 January 2013 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10955162)
test drive unlimited was one of theres

THEIRS.

I thought Atari died yonks ago, a victim of the Bladerunner curse?

Terminator X 21 January 2013 11:49 PM

My son would piss himself if he had to play this ;)

http://wheredoesgodzillapoop.com/wp-...2/12/pong.jpeg

TX.

boxst 22 January 2013 05:09 AM

Atari disappeared a long time ago (in 1984) and then it resurrected under Jack Tramiel with the Atari 520ST.

I loved my 2600 when I was a child and then I learnt how to program properly on an Atari 400 (Basic, 6502 Assembler) and then had most of their machines (800, 130XE, 520ST).

And then it really lost out to the Commodore (Amiga) and they both lost out to consoles and the PC.

Graz 22 January 2013 10:26 AM

First games console I ever owned (jointly with my brother ;)):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...od-4Sw-Set.jpg

Possibly the best Christmas day ever coming down to find that under the tree. Spent the rest of the day playing Space Invaders and Combat :D

Matteeboy 22 January 2013 10:32 AM

I was late to the party with an Amiga 500 (ooooh the excitement of getting a 0.5MB upgrade not long afterwards!!) - are Commodore still around?

Never had anything against the ST and I LOVED the console above - my cousin had it. Something special about them compared to the latest PS3/whatever.

mart360 22 January 2013 12:17 PM

I have several Woody's and a 5200 :)

A holdall full of cartridges, and other bits and bobs...

great fun even now

Mart

Dale17 22 January 2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10955199)
THEIRS.

I thought Atari died yonks ago, a victim of the Bladerunner curse?

No matter what thread you go on, there is always one!
GET A GRIP !

ALi-B 22 January 2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 10955435)
I was late to the party with an Amiga 500 (ooooh the excitement of getting a 0.5MB upgrade not long afterwards!!) - are Commodore still around?

Nope went bump shortly after the CD32. :(

Had all sorts of legal issues too with dodgy bank accounts in the Bahamas and pollution issues from their factories.

Puchased by Escom, who quickly slapped the brand name on a run of the mill 486DX PC, of whom also went bump.

The operating system is still being developed by some die hard enthusiats :cool:

ScoobyJawa 22 January 2013 02:52 PM

They haven't gone, the US subsiduaries have filed for bankruptcy protection as they want to split from the loss making french holding company..... aim of carrying on making console/ handheld/mobile games

bioforger 22 January 2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10955706)
Nope went bump shortly after the CD32. :(

Had all sorts of legal issues too with dodgy bank accounts in the Bahamas and pollution issues from their factories.

Puchased by Escom, who quickly slapped the brand name on a run of the mill 486DX PC, of whom also went bump.

The operating system is still being developed by some die hard enthusiats :cool:

Commodore USA are still trading.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx

Copy n edit from wiki;

Escom went bankrupt in 1997. The Amiga brand was then sold to another company Gateway 2000, they sold the Amiga brand without having released any products. The current owner of the Amiga name sell hardware using the Amiga or AmigaOne brand to computer vendors Commodore USA, Eyetech Group, Ltd. and A-Eon Technology CVBA. Unofficial AmigaOne clones were developed by Italian hardware company, Acube.

ALi-B 22 January 2013 06:33 PM

Thats not really Commodore, like Amiga, its the reminants of its trading name.

Think of it as modern Triumph which is a company who bought the trade mark rights and is pretty much nothing to do with the old Triumph origins, bar its name.

Having said that: I'd quite like to buy a new C64...even if its just a generic ITX form factor PC stuck inside a replica C64 case :cool: (I also fancy a new Triumph Bonneville :cool: )

stevebt 22 January 2013 06:37 PM

I thought it was just the French side that they were giving up?

bioforger 22 January 2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10956145)
Thats not really Commodore, like Amiga, its the reminants of its trading name.

Think of it as modern Triumph which is a company who bought the trade mark rights and is pretty much nothing to do with the old Triumph origins, bar its name.

Having said that: I'd quite like to buy a new C64...even if its just a generic ITX form factor PC stuck inside a replica C64 case :cool: (I also fancy a new Triumph Bonneville :cool: )

Well yea not a Commodore of the 70/80's a rebirth :)