ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Bleeding Cookie appologies !!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/962573-bleeding-cookie-appologies.html)

mart360 19 January 2013 09:00 AM

Bleeding Cookie appologies !!!

So is this the next PPI scandal?,

What is it with every bbl**dy site you visit dragging you to some obscure bit of text with a bleeeeeedin heart sop, of its cookie policy etc.

FFS, just run the page, i dont give a toss about bloody cookies :razz:

What next, " Have you been affected by tracking cookies? Our claimants recived on average £2000 for being tracked by Cookies. Have you been affected? Call us on xxxxxxxxxx for a no win, no fee assesment" lol

Jeez, I thought PC and elfand, had been reigned in!!!

Mart :D

AndyC_772 19 January 2013 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 10951151)
What is it with every bbl**dy site you visit dragging you to some obscure bit of text with a bleeeeeedin heart sop, of its cookie policy etc.

New(ish) EU regs that require site owners to obtain visitors' consent before storing cookies on their PCs.

f1_fan 19 January 2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 10951151)
So is this the next PPI scandal?,

What next, " Have you been affected by tracking cookies? Our claimants recived on average £2000 for being tracked by Cookies. Have you been affected? Call us on xxxxxxxxxx for a no win, no fee assesment" lol

Jeez, I thought PC and elfand, had been reigned in!!!

Mart :D

Blame the bloody EU for implementing it and our government for as usual cowtowing to them! No one else gives a toss either just the do-gooders in Europe. The same people responsible for all women's car insurance going up in the last few weeks due their stupid ideas of equality ... still it's good that we are in the EU as they do so much good for us :cuckoo:

Mouser 19 January 2013 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10951185)
Blame the bloody EU for implementing it and our government for as usual cowtowing to them! No one else gives a toss either just the do-gooders in Europe. The same people responsible for all women's car insurance going up in the last few weeks due their stupid ideas of equality ... still it's good that we are in the EU as they do so much good for us :cuckoo:

Cowtowing :D

Scooby Soon! 19 January 2013 10:05 AM

I thought the cookie thing was canceled at the last minute?

f1_fan 19 January 2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 10951199)
Cowtowing :D

F**king hell.... LOL! Must be them burgers I had last night, they must actually have contained beef too ... they weren't from Tesco :lol1::lol1::lol1:

kowtowing FFS!!! :o:o:o

f1_fan 19 January 2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 10951201)
I thought the cookie thing was canceled at the last minute?

Nope, came into effect May 2012!

JackClark 19 January 2013 04:24 PM

Is anyone really taking any notice? I maintain 4 websites currently and although ready to go live the messaging is currently disabled, I was told that being in the process of doing something to comply was enough. Could be very wrong. Facebook have done nothing for instance.

f1_fan 19 January 2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10951552)
Is anyone really taking any notice? I maintain 4 websites currently and although ready to go live the messaging is currently disabled, I was told that being in the process of doing something to comply was enough. Could be very wrong. Facebook have done nothing for instance.

Like all these things Jack no one is taking much notice now, but they can use it as another stick to beat you with later on if they so desire.

Remember it only applies to sites based in the EU so Facebook may not qualify.

If you aren't using cookies for anything like ad shaping or the likes I wouldn't worry about it.

JackClark 19 January 2013 05:56 PM

Google Analytics but no Google Ads, all sites are Drupal not that that makes any difference.

f1_fan 19 January 2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10951718)
Google Analytics but no Google Ads, all sites are Drupal not that that makes any difference.

Yeah Google Analytics is technically a third party cookie so you should by law have the disclaimer on the sites, but I wouldn't worry about it until everyone else is doing it ... it's not as if you are using them for nefarious purposes.

As you say have it ready to go just in case.

JackClark 19 January 2013 06:31 PM

It's there on all sites, just looks ****, click a button to enable and done.

Scooby Soon! 19 January 2013 10:26 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...plied-consent/

?

f1_fan 20 January 2013 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 10952234)

Yes they got relaxed at the last minute to include 'implied consent' in some instances (e.g. when using only firsr party simple cookies e.g. for order taracking), but even then you still need to make the information about what cookies you use and how you use them prominent (i.e. not hidden in your privacy policy) and state that by using the site visitors agree to store the cookies on their computer. It's opt out rather than opt in basically.

StevieL81 20 January 2013 05:38 AM

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...is-cookies.jpg

Scooby Soon! 20 January 2013 08:29 AM

I will be leaving them off my sites because they looks pants and scare people (and some of the notifications can not be clicked very easy on a tablet, apparently you will get an enforcement notice first and if you ignore it then a possible fine. I am beting that i am more likely to be using a space ship to get to work before I am issued with an enforcement notice

IWatkins 20 January 2013 09:33 AM

Indeed. Not bothered. Ignore. :)

Adrian F 21 January 2013 10:21 PM

well i think it is wrong that you have to allow tracking of your surfing habits before you can even use a lot of websites, to my mind this is blackmail.

I understand that by rejecting cookies i might have a less tailored experience but that should be my choice still there are a number of websites i no longer use because the cookie policy has made me aware of tracking on sites where it has no justification other than intrusion