ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Do I need a new map? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/962111-do-i-need-a-new-map.html)

LVC 14 January 2013 05:55 PM

Do I need a new map?

Bought my WRX Hawkeye just before Xmas with 41k miles on it. The only modification evident was an after-market exhaust. I don't know what make but it's big and makes a lovely deep sound, lol. I think the CAT is still there as it sailed through an MOT the day before I picked it up.

The only other mod I've done is a Cosworth Air filter which is now in place as the Unipart one was a bit past it.

I'm not planning on any other mods as the car will be used "almost" daily and I'm trying to keep it "econimical-ish".

However I have noticed today (first real drive since changing the air filter) that it has a couple of "flat spots" - when I accelerate hardish in 3rd adn then 4th, the engine "hesitates" in a couple of places and then lets go. I'd not noticed this before changing the filter, maybe a coincidence.

Is this something that will "sort itself out automatically" (air flow measure recalculation, etc.) or do I need it remapped? I don't think it has ever been mapped since it was new with the exhaust change - not even sure if this needs a remap - I'm a bit lost on the mapping subject...Help :wonder:

Also I've just done 200miles on 35 litres (7.7 gallons) of 98 which calculates to 26mpg - is this about right? At the moment I'm not driving hard and am enjoying getting used to the car.

The exhaust will pop if I accelerate a bit and then back off whilst static - no I don't do this a lot just once or twice so mates could hear the burble. This could indicate running rich I think.

Also (part 3) Found out today that 1/4 full on the gauge only lets me put 35 litres in - and the book says the tank is a 60 litre, someone's hiding the spare 25 litres me thinks :freak3:

Awaiting your expert replies, thanks :notworthy

brendy76 14 January 2013 06:10 PM

I doubt very much it would make a difference though I would get a remap just to get thw best our of the car anyway. :)

The Pink Ninja 14 January 2013 06:14 PM

Your petrol light comes on with approx 10-12 litres in the tank/lines

LVC 14 January 2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10945188)
I doubt very much it would make a difference though I would get a remap just to get thw best our of the car anyway. :)

Are you saying that the flat spots are normal or that they wouldn't go even with a remap or that they will go by themselves ??? :wonder:

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 10945194)
Your petrol light comes on with approx 10-12 litres in the tank/lines

So the gauge is normal and designed to make you half fill up more often :D:brickwall

Jolly Green Monster 14 January 2013 06:30 PM

Should really be mapped for the mods. Shouldnt have flat spots.

Simon

LVC 14 January 2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 10945224)
Should really be mapped for the mods. Shouldnt have flat spots.

Simon

Thanks Simon - that's what I thought.

I assume that I'm not going to be doing much damage to anything running it as it is whilst I try and track down a re-mapper over here ?

V9 STi 14 January 2013 06:57 PM

Definitely flat spots and not clutch slip?

LVC 14 January 2013 06:59 PM

Yes defo flat spots - clutch is fine ;)

Jolly Green Monster 14 January 2013 07:03 PM

You could do.

You using shell vpower?

How far into france are you?

LVC 14 January 2013 07:10 PM

Can't find Shell vpower over here - running her on 98

I'm just south of Le Mans - Loire Valley. Takes about 4 1/2 hours to get Calais for the cheapie ferries to Dover or 2 1/2 hours to get to Caen for the Portsmouth link (but the ferries are more expensive as the crossing is longer). If I can't find a decent mapper over here I'm not against bringing her back to the UK but would rather avoid it if I could as adding another £300 to the remap cost starts to get expensive.

Unless of course a mobile-mapper fancies a free weekend in the Loire Valley ;)

Q: Are all remaps rolling road jobbies ?

BILLETBEANZ 14 January 2013 07:18 PM

Not all on rolling road plenty done jst on the road but i think i would be right in saying if u wnt a graph with a exact power output u would need to stick it on rollers. Im sure simon at JGM wouldnt mind a free holiday lol

LVC 14 January 2013 07:24 PM

I'm not worried about a graph just want her to run right.

Free holiday could be a serious option as flights in to Tours from Stansted are dirt cheap (18.50€ when I went back to pick the car up) so a return trip over a weekend with free board and lodgings would be a cheaper option for me than bringing the car back - anyone interested? If you wait until the weather warms up I can throw in some free jetskiing on a private lake as well ;)

Jolly Green Monster 14 January 2013 07:36 PM

Lol.

Well diesel in my daily is going to be cheaper than petrol in your hawk.

Happy to travel over. Drop me a pm if you want. I live about 40 minutes from Dover.

Simon

LVC 14 January 2013 07:41 PM

Thanks Simon - MP will be on it's way shortly ;)

BILLETBEANZ 14 January 2013 07:43 PM

Lol ill come over for some free jetsking. Sadly the only MAP i can help you with will be a A 2 Z. Lol

LVC 14 January 2013 07:47 PM

lol - nice try ;)

LVC 20 January 2013 08:59 PM

I'm busy trying to save for a remap (not easy with a new baby in the house and a misses who keeps finding "cute things" to buy him, lol).....in the meantime is there anyway I can try a "reset" of the ECU for it to take into account the change in filter etc? This "flat-spot" issue is mildly annoying.

Maybe I'm talking b*ll*cks (wouldn't be the first time, lol) but on other cars I've had you can disconnect the battery for a period of time and then the ECU rechecks everything taking into account new readings and sets up from "empty" - can this be done on a Hawkeye WRX and if so is it worth doing and how do I do it?????

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

toneh 20 January 2013 09:42 PM

Disconnecting ecu wont do anything mate
Are you sure you've not caught a vac pipe when doing the filter or ferreting about , I would check all you're pipe work for tiny splits or leaks , also turbo inlet pipe for tiny splits ,

As these are common causes for rich running and misfires

Btw when did it last have a set of plugs , if the filter wasn't changed I'd be surprised if the plugs have !

LVC 20 January 2013 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by toneh (Post 10953529)
Disconnecting ecu wont do anything mate
Are you sure you've not caught a vac pipe when doing the filter or ferreting about , I would check all you're pipe work for tiny splits or leaks , also turbo inlet pipe for tiny splits ,

As these are common causes for rich running and misfires

Btw when did it last have a set of plugs , if the filter wasn't changed I'd be surprised if the plugs have !

Ta muchly - I'll have a look for splits etc.

Is the plug change difficult accesswise on a Subaru - given where they are I'd imagine that it's not a simple job, does it need a "special" tool?

toneh 20 January 2013 10:07 PM

Can be a bit fiddly first time. The key is a nice set of sockets , as is usually the case one extensions too long the others too short lol
But if you take bits and bobs off and move em out you're way it's not that bad , just a couple of cups of tea a bit of patience and its all good ;)

LVC 20 January 2013 10:29 PM

Thanks.

I've just checked the service book and the oil, oil filter, air filter and plugs were changed at 38k miles - she's now got 42k miles, so I'm guessing that they should be OK.

I'll check for splits etc. The flat spot is only when I accelerate hard and it's only a slight hesitation and then the revs start climbing as normal and the car speeds up. Gentle acceleration and it doesn't do it....annoying :(