ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   What has got to you the most with your projects? (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/960020-what-has-got-to-you-the-most-with-your-projects.html)

Saalro 25 December 2012 08:03 PM

What has got to you the most with your projects?

I've been building my Impreza now for over a year and i had no idea what to expect and the amount of hours and hard work it was going to take, but it soon comes apparent.

What has got to me the most is the wiring, it's as if when they built the car in the factory they literally just pushed it all behind the dash in the most untidy possible way.

I have spent hours on the wiring and i'm still not happy with it, i want it to be tidy but it just doesn't seem possible.
Everything is a challange with it, from removing unwanted wiring, to taping it up due to inconsistent lengths, protecting it, the stupid routes they have given it and the god dang positioning of it all, it's flipping idiotic :mad:

It gets you down at times, i tell you that.

Rant over.

Thanks

mickywrx 25 December 2012 08:50 PM

Custom wiring loom = job done.

Worth a thought, Sam.

GazJenno 25 December 2012 11:46 PM

Like with most things, the more you do the more you learn. The problem I found with my car project is the first jobs you do on it you do okay to the best of your knowledge and move on but once you've done a few other jobs you look back and realise how crap a job you did on the first thing. Ends up being a never ending circle of improvement which soon gets very costly as you waste money doing the wrong thing before you get it right, the satisfaction at the end is what makes it worth it.

I was a bit scared of the wiring and left it mostly alone. After doing other small wiring jobs I now feel confident to do a custom wiring loom, just need the money for the gear. Don't let it get you down though, persistence will get you there and you will no doubt learn a lot in the process... Just don't let it consume your life at the same time :)

Good luck with it.

Gaz

philS scooby 26 December 2012 03:42 AM

Subframe bolts all snapped inside the chassis legs hat to drill out and weld back on

Saalro 26 December 2012 02:19 PM

I've thought about a custom wiring loom but i'm not sure if there is any CAN BUS wiring.

Thanks

TurboAndy 26 December 2012 04:38 PM

I know the project ive been doing with my father wasnt an impreza but what got to me was how long it takes to do such little jobs that you originally thought will only take you an hour but ends up more like 3 hours. Yet big jobs you think will take all day to do only takes half a day lol.

JdcTypeR 26 December 2012 04:51 PM

Finally finishing it after 2 years and then it got stolen not long after getting it back on the road :(

TurboAndy 27 December 2012 07:17 PM

Have you heard anymore about it?

JdcTypeR 27 December 2012 07:59 PM

Heard no more about it Andy but got something else now

Saalro 27 December 2012 08:02 PM

That's such a smame, any photos of it?

Anyone made a custom wiring loom?

Thanks

Ciaran 27 December 2012 08:07 PM

The bloody cost. The most simple things just add up all the time. Also hate the fact that every other bolt seems to break :(

mickywrx 27 December 2012 08:47 PM

David Wallis or John Stevenson - they're both on my friends list on FB Sam.

kylejennings05 27 December 2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JdcTypeR (Post 10919180)
Finally finishing it after 2 years and then it got stolen not long after getting it back on the road :(

such a shame there realy is some heartless yobs out there! :cry:

trails 28 December 2012 11:13 AM

blew mine four years ago 28.01...most frustrating part is misled by people, second has to be being let down by people.

Bean1984 28 December 2012 11:33 AM

I use to have a unit. Was paying £500 pcm. Had my vectra stored in there with an electric shutter and security bar on it as well.
Spent a lot of money converting my st vectra into a c20let turbo then one weekend some tosser had the whole lot including all the tools. Just short of £5k went missing in less then 24 hours