ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   M135i (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/959738-m135i.html)

Matteeboy 21 December 2012 06:36 PM

M135i

Anyone here got one?

I think I'll replace the 335d with one fairly soon. Understated, compact but with a boot that won't upset the dog and really rather quick. And cheap too. Time to test one...!

Terminator X 21 December 2012 06:44 PM

Peeps are creaming themselves over on P/Heads about it all ... car sounds bonkers and great VFM. Wont you miss the diesel clatter though fella ;)

TX.

Matteeboy 21 December 2012 07:38 PM

I'd miss the torque... ;-)

Jimpreza 21 December 2012 08:17 PM

Get a proper 'M' car mate :)

SPIDERWRX 21 December 2012 11:56 PM

get a Used m3 :thumb:

i dont think the m135i will hold its value very well

im looking at swapping my 335i for a m3 next year need 4 doors :brickwall

bighead 22 December 2012 12:20 AM

they may compare well with the M3 power wise , but built quality wise is not on par , ones a £30k car the other is £60K .....different league

Matteeboy 22 December 2012 07:19 AM

As mentioned, the M3 comes in the wrong shape! I also hate piddly range between fuel stops.

richs2891 22 December 2012 09:17 AM

Erm is that going to be the same with going 335D to a M135i?

In some ways I wished I not bought my BMW diesel, it made me look at most other cars and think they are bad on fuel ! I've got very used to spending less than £100 a month on fuel. I've driven the M135i and loved it but I want to know what it will do mpg wise in the real world.
Richard
Richard

legacy_gtb 22 December 2012 09:20 AM

A mate at works got an m135i .... been nothing but trouble!

Good when its working, but in the year hes had it its been off the road more than on it.

Matteeboy 22 December 2012 09:45 AM

Rich; two mates have one and are getting around mid 20s to the gallon. More if driven carefully. I get low 30s in the diesel however hard I drive it.

Worth seeing what happens when they are run in properly though; our vans mpg and performance have shot up since it hit 8k miles.

Gtb; that is a worry- the 35i unit was pretty troublesome whereas the current BM has been ultra reliable. I will do some checking and see what I find out! Is it definitely the new version though ? I'm sure it's only ben out a few months!

richs2891 22 December 2012 10:22 AM

Ouch to the mid 20's, get v used to the low to mid 40's from my mapped 123D. And the mpg went up in mine as well once it had passed the 10K miles mark.
A bit of a worry about the 35i engine, bit more research needed as well, but I've high hope for the new AMG A class as well, (will just have to live with the fuel consumption on that) or do I stick with what I know and just buy an X1 !

Richard

Brun 22 December 2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bighead (Post 10915261)
they may compare well with the M3 power wise , but built quality wise is not on par , ones a £30k car the other is £60K .....different league

So how does a 320 stack up against an m3 quality wise?

Matteeboy 22 December 2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 10915503)
So how does a 320 stack up against an m3 quality wise?

Tee hee!

M3s had the same interior cost cutting measures as others 3ers later in their life cycle. Vinyl sun blinds, a random gap between rear seats (that houses cup holders in the older ones), cheaper door cards, etc. Properly annoyed a few owners.

Word is that the 1 series is now pretty nice inside whereas the M3 is a bit old now. I shall see for myself soon.

Obviously the M3 has that engine but sub 20mpg and a small tank is hard to stomach even if you're loaded (which I'm not).

SRSport 24 December 2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by richs2891 (Post 10915382)
Ouch to the mid 20's, get v used to the low to mid 40's from my mapped 123D. And the mpg went up in mine as well once it had passed the 10K miles mark.
A bit of a worry about the 35i engine, bit more research needed as well, but I've high hope for the new AMG A class as well, (will just have to live with the fuel consumption on that) or do I stick with what I know and just buy an X1 !

Richard

If you're concerned with reliability I would be very hesitant over getting a Mercedes. the A and B classes have been very problematic. Saying that though when everything works I wouldnt have anything else for the price.

Littleted 30 December 2012 09:05 AM

The 3 series is ****e inside so I doubt the 1 is any better, but that being said I was spoiled by having a 5 series for a week beforehand.

But I,ll admit the 135 is about right for the money, where as the 330d luxury I had, was no way on this earth worth the 43k price tag they wanted.

Nice car that 135 just I'd be cautious if they keep breaking down, go troll the forums see what's happening.

I'd get one of these second hand

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...i-turbo/559810

Mates just got it awesome car and 4wd

Brun 30 December 2012 09:32 AM

Audi - fook that! Route 1 to the hard shoulder - and being BMW through and through I don't think Matteeboy wants to be put to sleep in a barge :D

SRSport 30 December 2012 09:47 AM

Save yourself a packet and get one like this, second down.

BMW 135i

This guy sold me my Mercedes and I had 3 months of complete hassle free repairs when it went wrong (he sold it to me when it was perfect). After that period I still had a dealer warranty but through a 3rd party which was just as straight forward to claim on, it just involved more paper work. I dont think I will use another dealer now.

Littleted 30 December 2012 09:51 AM

Both cars put you to sleep mate, he's in a 335 that new bi turbo is as fast and quicker off the mark.

I had an Audi for 3 years and was rock solid, but service was expensive.

I'd only ever get that one though, wouldnt waste my money on anything else, not until BMW start doing proper 4wd.
Not a fan of rwd, just doesn't do anything for me, and I'm not one for sliding the car to work lol.

Littleted 30 December 2012 09:53 AM

Srs is that the same car or is it a diff engine now. Ie updated

I didn't even know they did one on an 08. Very cheap that and rag top and prof audio,

Bargin

SRSport 30 December 2012 09:56 AM

I dont know Im afraid, but I can vouch for this sellers integrity and honesty.

Have Audi pulled their socks up regarding their quality now?

Littleted 30 December 2012 10:14 AM

No idea I'm sure I,ll find out soon, my mate does mega miles so if its gonna break ill know.

He had the merc e class before and that was crap, blew two injectors systems car was off road for over 2 months in 3 years ****eee, plus as he lives on a hill spent 3 weeks stuck in the snow, hence why this time he's gone for 4wd. But that's a minor thing from my point, but with him being a director he's at work religiously from 6am till 6pm and any kind of hiccup in his routine annoys the hell outa him.

SRSport 30 December 2012 10:24 AM

My opinion of German cars are rock bottom. VWs, Audis, Mercedes and Porsches that I or other family members have experienced have been shocking. I nearly bought a BMW a year ago until I read that the e92 4 pots were ticking time bombs so jumped out of the frying pan and straight in to the fire with the Merc. My uncle had a 4 pot 1 series bought from new and it spent more time in its first year with BMW than on his drive. I think I'll stick to Japanese from now on, although I've heard that the 6 pot BMWs are considerably better so may try one of them as my last attempt of restoring faith in the German marques.

SRSport 30 December 2012 10:27 AM

I followed a TTS in to Homebase the other day and jokingly said "that poor woman, I wonder if she knows what she's bought".

When I came out I think she just did.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_1082.jpg

Matteeboy 30 December 2012 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10923410)
My opinion of German cars are rock bottom. VWs, Audis, Mercedes and Porsches that I or other family members have experienced have been shocking. I nearly bought a BMW a year ago until I read that the e92 4 pots were ticking time bombs so jumped out of the frying pan and straight in to the fire with the Merc. My uncle had a 4 pot 1 series bought from new and it spent more time in its first year with BMW than on his drive. I think I'll stick to Japanese from now on, although I've heard that the 6 pot BMWs are considerably better so may try one of them as my last attempt of restoring faith in the German marques.

Had ours (six pot) over four years and apart from a couple of "belt and braces" jobs I've had done (a few new turbo pipes, new intercooler pipe) and oil changes every 8-10k (NOT over 20k!), it's not missed a beat. Which is handy because if it did, it would be expensive!! I'd be wary of BM four pots too.

zip106 30 December 2012 03:32 PM

We've had four diesel BM four pots - 3 of them covered over 70k miles trouble free (apart from an ABS issue on the 5er).

The fourth one has so far got to 13k with only a clutch issue.

It's like saying to avoid ALL 996/997/986/987 Porsches because the engines go pop.
Some do, but not enough to be scared of them!

ALi-B 30 December 2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb (Post 10915352)
A mate at works got an m135i .... been nothing but trouble!

Good when its working, but in the year hes had it its been off the road more than on it.

Erm - how can that be? Its only been out on sale in teh UK for four months?

Or are you talking about the 1M-coupe? which is a totally different car - different shell, different engine, different interior etc.To clarify the M135i is the new shape (F21) hatchback, not the old shape coupe (E82)

PS I know someone with a 520d with 250K miles on the original workings. Original timing chain, even original clutch! Still with swirl flaps! The only things its needed is a new DPF (which generally last 150K so, understandable)and two MAFs (one was a ebay knock-off, so failed 6 months later :rolleyes: ). I think its how people drive and service them because, this one has new oil every 6months and lives most of its life on the motorway, so the intake doesn't foul up with soot. Yet I know someone who bought a 520d with just 100K on the clock and the timing chain jumped..oops....Its service history? Just some BMW stamps every few years:18month oil changes, can't be good can it? Regardless of what the OBC reccomends?

Matteeboy 30 December 2012 04:36 PM

But a four pot engine in a BMW just isn't right. Petrol or diesel. It's simply how it is... ;-)

Ali is right about the 1M which is a proper car but only in saloon/coupe shape but with a bit more power. It's also much heavier than the M135i but looks nicer.

nik52wrx 30 December 2012 04:44 PM

Do you normally take photos of people getting their cars recovered :eek:

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10923414)
I followed a TTS in to Homebase the other day and j[B[/B]okingly said "that poor woman, I wonder if she knows what she's bought".

When I came out I think she just did.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_1082.jpg

Matteeboy 30 December 2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 10923902)
Do you normally take photos of people getting their cars recovered :eek:

....that also have nothing to do with the thread?!

richs2891 30 December 2012 07:03 PM

Any ideas what went wrong with that TTS - engine is not known for problems !

Unless its been repossessed !

Richard