ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   CV Joint buggered ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/959339-cv-joint-buggered.html)

vandavieboy 17 December 2012 04:47 PM

CV Joint buggered ?

so when im turning the car there is a pretty loud clicking noise coming from the passengers side at the front . is this a sign that the cv joint is buggered ? if so what parts would i need to buy in order to replace (im in no way a mechanic but would try it myself) and also where in your opinion would be the cheapest place to get the parts ?
cheers.
davie.

Mishimoto 17 December 2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by vandavieboy (Post 10909547)
so when im turning the car there is a pretty loud clicking noise coming from the passengers side at the front . is this a sign that the cv joint is buggered ? if so what parts would i need to buy in order to replace (im in no way a mechanic but would try it myself) and also where in your opinion would be the cheapest place to get the parts ?
cheers.
davie.

This sounds exactly like a failed CV. Parts will likely be available at your local parts supplier or dealership. Usually the entire shaft is replaced. :)

Turbotits 17 December 2012 05:46 PM

Import car parts. Either change the joint or complete shaft. Both are pretty easy to do with the correct tools

ScoobySteve69 17 December 2012 05:47 PM

Outer cv £300 be cheaper buying a used shaft, that's what I did.

vandavieboy 17 December 2012 06:03 PM

outer/inner ? what would the likely culprit be as im looking for prices just now and a used drive shaft is over 160 quid

scoobyjunky 17 December 2012 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by vandavieboy (Post 10909637)
outer/inner ? what would the likely culprit be as im looking for prices just now and a used drive shaft is over 160 quid

not if you buy them from scott @ scoobyspares there not i got two for under that price posted aswell!!!!

vandavieboy 17 December 2012 09:25 PM

really ? how easy are they to change ? and if i bought the passenger side drive shaft would that fix my problem ? cheers, davie.

Mishimoto 17 December 2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by vandavieboy (Post 10909637)

The culprit should be easily identified by a split boot with the grease coming out. If neither is split than one should exhibit bearing damage. Repack the one that does not need joint replacement. :thumb:

ScoobySteve69 17 December 2012 11:20 PM

I sourced a complete shaft off here for £90 mate.

scoobyjunky 18 December 2012 08:06 AM

They are a piece of piss mate as long as ur strut bolts have been off at some point they can be quite tight use a breaker bar to help with that all u need to buy are a driveshaft roll pin and a new hub nut make sure u loosen the hub nut with the car on the ground as same with wheel bolts then jack the car up take wheel off then take the calliper and disc off two 17mm nuts tie the brake calliper to the strut so u dnt stress the brake line then undo the two strut bolts pull the strut and hub apart tap the roll pin out on the inner cv joint this only goes in one way and out one way so keep note then pull the shaft off the gearbox spline then pull out the hub refit in the reverse simple as that also tip take brake reservoir cap off to release pressure on the brake pads to get them off the disc use clamps to press them in when refitting to the disc then when all back together put cap bk on and depress the brake pedel a few times till hard again sorted

As said though I had a clicking sound come from my front end and mine was a bearing problem not greased properly so it's a bit of process by elimination in my case

2pot 18 December 2012 08:52 AM

front shafts only
http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/driveshafts-14/

vandavieboy 03 January 2013 10:21 PM

cheers 2pot. gonnae order the cv joint from there. is that easy to change over ?