ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Time Attack race car build (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/959109-time-attack-race-car-build.html)

Toffee 14 December 2012 10:59 PM

Spec C Time Attack build

2 Attachment(s)
As most know my car was an almost standard Spec C when first purchased, following on from thread selling parts I thought I would show you were the car build? is up to at present. The car is being transformed in to a pure track toy, hopefully the car will be good enough over the coming years to help me compete at the highest of levels.

The first job was to strip the car down in preparation for a Custom Cages Internation spec cage to be fitted by Shawn Woods @ SW Motorsports, there are a number of chassis "teaks" happening at the same time which I will go in to further in another post. You will see there are no longer any body panels on the car, these have all been removed ready to install a full ABW widebody kit. I am hoping to be able to 295 section tyres on 10.5" wheels with no restriction on ride height, we will see :wink:

Here is where we ae up to >
Attachment 57208

Attachment 57209

Ouch!!! I know its looking a bit rough, but once the hard work is completed and the car is painted again I am hoping she will look as good as ever!!!

frayz 14 December 2012 11:29 PM

Will be watching with interest Lee. Good luck mate. :)

B4D HK 15 December 2012 01:10 AM

Hey dude just curious why you used a spec c shell to do this....? (No offence meant)

Toffee 15 December 2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by B4D HK (Post 10906499)
Hey dude just curious why you used a spec c shell to do this....? (No offence meant)

Spec "C"= Competition... :D its just the car I longed for and purchased 4years ago, now she is mine and I have never regretted buying it, there are a number of advantages with starting off with a Spec C from the original spec sheet, so its a good starting point. I know a few think they are "rare" so should molly cuddled? I don't, I reckon it should be used what Subaru designed it for... thrashing it!! :norty: :thumb:

Allan S 15 December 2012 11:18 AM

Defo be following this, look forward to seeing your progress dude.

B4D HK 16 December 2012 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Toffee (Post 10906665)
Spec "C"= Competition... :D its just the car I longed for and purchased 4years ago, now she is mine and I have never regretted buying it, there are a number of advantages with starting off with a Spec C from the original spec sheet, so its a good starting point. I know a few think they are "rare" so should molly cuddled? I don't, I reckon it should be used what Subaru designed it for... thrashing it!! :norty: :thumb:

Ahh i misread the text/photo, i thought you got rid of everything spec c and was starting with a bare shell.....lol
I have one myself, awesome cars :)

stockcar 16 December 2012 10:55 AM

nice one Lee, be happy to help out if required...................

alyn

stevebt 16 December 2012 04:20 PM

Why would you do this to such a nice car ;)

Infected by sti 16 December 2012 05:07 PM

Subscribed :)

Looking forward to the updates, car looked lovely tho before you stripped it back :lol1: should be really mean now :norty:

Twin Fields 16 December 2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Infected by sti (Post 10908195)
Subscribed :)

Looking forward to the updates

Me too. I'm really starting to take an interest in Time Attack and am hoping to attend an event in 2013! :thumb:

Toffee 17 December 2012 05:11 PM

I would just like to say thanks to you all for the encouragement, it has been very hard work over the past few weeks getting the car stripped to where it is now and also arranging all of the other things that surround the preparation for a seasons efforts in competing.

We have now just about finished the drilling, grinding and cutting on the shell, so the cage installation is starting iminantly. I hope by mid January I will be able to provide pictures of the car with the cage all in and the body work all back on and hopefully sprayed in the new colour scheme. Hopefully by then I will have been lucky to attract a few sposors and will make announcements when these are confirmed.... fingers crossed!!

Cheers,
Lee.

GezP 17 December 2012 06:22 PM

Subscribed mate. Good luck, I'm sure it's gonna be an animal by the time you've finIshed :)

Toffee 19 December 2012 12:24 AM

Heads up on the Time Attack dates for 2013 >

Rnd 1. Cadwell Park – Monday 1st April
Rnd 2. Croft Circuit – Saturday 11th May
Rnd 3. Snetterton Circuit – Sunday 9th June
Rnd 4. Oulton Park – Saturday 3rd August
Rnd 5. Donnington Park Circuit – Saturday 14th September (club only)
Rnd 6. Brands Hatch Circuit – Sunday 29th September

Toffee 24 December 2012 07:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
So after another week or so the stripping of the car has continued, each time I think we are almost there, there then appears to be a bit more, and more and so on. Anyway making reasonably good progress, but as yet there is still a bit more to do, here are a few pics of were we are up to >

Attachment 57210

Attachment 57211

Attachment 57212

Attachment 57213

Attachment 57214

Attachment 57215

STI_Baly 26 December 2012 05:36 AM

Car looked and drove brilliant before and no doubt it will look, feel and drive better when your done Lee.

See you in the new year chap.

JonMc 26 December 2012 07:47 AM

Wow, when you had the FS thread I assumed you were breaking and getting rid:eek:

Good luck with the build:thumb:

Toffee 26 December 2012 11:46 AM

Cheers guys, defo not selling up, just modding it slightly :D

Cheers,
Lee.

Toffee 09 January 2013 10:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So been doing a fair bit more since my last post, the longer wheel studs have been fitted and are all in, stripped the rear hubs of the brake shoes and ABS wiring, removed the petrol tank and all pipes up to the engine bay, removed the ABS pump and all hard pipes going through the car, removed the rear diff carrier (T bar thing) and all brackets, removed the petrol tank filling nozzle bits n bobs plus a few brackets that are no longer needed and probably a few more things that I might have forgotten?

So now the exciting bit, I unwrapped the cage and laid it all out and we had a look at the CD which comes with the cage, as per the pics Shaun has made a start on putting it in. So after a couple of months of stripping were now starting to rebuild :D My new wheels are here ready to go on and the body kit should be arriving any day now so things should start happening and the car will start coming together.

Attachment 57216

Attachment 57217

Attachment 57218

Infected by sti 09 January 2013 11:03 PM

I wait with anticipation :D

This is where it gets exciting seeing it pieced back together :)

Shaggy1991 10 January 2013 01:53 AM

Subscribed. Good luck, I look forward to seeing this through, hopefully it wont end with you selling it early for 'further commitments' after about 3 pages like other projects :thumb:

Toffee 10 January 2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaggy1991 (Post 10939393)
Subscribed. Good luck, I look forward to seeing this through, hopefully it wont end with you selling it early for 'further commitments' after about 3 pages like other projects :thumb:

The agreement is it leaves SW Motorsports to head to SD Motorsport on the 1st February, thatscage finished and sprayed, all body kit finished, and most of the interior in place also with new wheels and tyres on. Steven (Darley who drives the Banana) and Dave Wallis will hopefully have it finished by the 1st March ready for a bit of testing, 1st April round 1 of Time Attack........... it will not be "one of those threads" :D :thumb:

stockcar 10 January 2013 08:24 PM

discs are all sorted this evening Toffee, not around Friday so catch up early next week............

alyn

Toffee 10 January 2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 10940274)
discs are all sorted this evening Toffee, not around Friday so catch up early next week............

alyn

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: your a star Alan, thanks for all the help and advice :cool: will give you a call on Monday.

Lee.

stevebt 12 January 2013 08:42 PM

I'm pleased you took those wheels off before they got damaged from the welding ;). Speaking of wallis, did you pay any attention to what he said about looking into the correct wheel hubs or did you just buy wheels to suit your hubs?

Toffee 12 January 2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10942817)
I'm pleased you took those wheels off before they got damaged from the welding ;). Speaking of wallis, did you pay any attention to what he said about looking into the correct wheel hubs or did you just buy wheels to suit your hubs?

Bought the wheels anyway and planned on correcting thre hubs if I ran in to issues, rang Steven Darley and was told my Hawk Spec C hubs are the ones to have so I am ok :thumb:

Spoke to Daren at ABW last night and the wide body kit will be here next week, cant wait to see this fitted with the wide wheels :luxhello:

The Pink Ninja 12 January 2013 09:17 PM

Gonna be a tasty motor when done Lee :thumb:

stevebt 12 January 2013 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Toffee (Post 10942865)
Bought the wheels anyway and planned on correcting thre hubs if I ran in to issues, rang Steven Darley and was told my Hawk Spec C hubs are the ones to have so I am ok :thumb:

Spoke to Daren at ABW last night and the wide body kit will be here next week, cant wait to see this fitted with the wide wheels :luxhello:

Nice one looking forward to seeing you at the MLR sprints although I will be in s2 ;)

stevebt 12 January 2013 09:44 PM

Forgot to say, your dong time attack as well as MLR sprints? Who is spending lots of cash this year :)

Toffee 12 January 2013 10:27 PM

Just when you start to think your car is gonna be awesome, you get to see the Gobstopper 2 at the autosport show!! were just playing at it :D

I have entered 6 events with 22B.com and have already sent off my application for Time Attack, 12 events in all for 2013. There will be a few track / test fays here and there so hoping for a good 2013!! us Scoobs need to beat those pesky Skylines and Evos!!!

stevebt 12 January 2013 11:24 PM

Lee I know/can work out what you have spent on your car so you can't hold it in the same breath as the RCM car. The money on that car will double mine and yours together.