ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   mobile bar (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/959004-mobile-bar.html)

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:03 PM

mobile bar

alright guys i own a catering business and am adding a mobile bar service to my enterprise. i want a general feel from you all a bout this and how you feel it would work, could achieve a gap in the market etc etc

the bar itsef is free to hire and comes fuly stocked with most pub drinks catering to all ages. it works the same as a function hire, you can put cash behind the ar, pay up front or have a cahs bar. our pricing works so that we are cheaper than all pubs, clubs and social clubs.

i thonk the bases are covered here but if not ask away and please do give your opinions

Jamie 13 December 2012 10:12 PM

You might want a free spell checker with it? just saying.

:)

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:14 PM

lol dodgy laptop, no backspace or delete, roll with the punches on this one

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:15 PM

Good idea for special events but is there some sort of permission needed for whichever land that it's on, I.e car show, field party, outdoor events etc.
But great idea.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:16 PM

permission is granted by owner on land, however i am required by law to have a licence to sell alcohol, nbe it temporay or full licence. this is as far as i am aware the only legal stage required to do this. i am already registered as a gfood handler and such so thisis covered.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:19 PM

i suppose on a second note wou;d anyone consider hiring this out? what would they expect to pay for a drink?

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Karl Barrow (Post 10904964)
permission is granted by owner on land, however i am required by law to have a licence to sell alcohol, nbe it temporay or full licence. this is as far as i am aware the only legal stage required to do this. i am already registered as a gfood handler and such so thisis covered.

I think a lot of land owners would refuse the permission on the basis of event being held, especially council. So you would be limited only to concert type events and alike.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10904971)
I think a lot of land owners would refuse the permission on the basis of event being held, especially council. So you would be limited only to concert type events and alike.

if an event is already being held then if we are being hired liability sits with the land owner or event organiser, i would only take liability fr my stock equipemt and staff as they should understand the risks of hring a mobile bar (drunks etc) although we are responsible to encourage responsible drinlng. same applies to wedding private functions etc

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:24 PM

Also the landowner would probably accept it but the final desicion would be with council as I found out on Connors day 2012, council gave the go ahead on private land( not owned by them) but no alcohol to be sold as it would affect the neighbouring community.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:26 PM

this is where the temporary licence comes into play though it will dictate areas it can and cannot be sold in. the majoproty of our business will be private hire and functions aswell as the odd large ebent

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Karl Barrow (Post 10904978)
if an event is already being held then if we are being hired liability sits with the land owner or event organiser, i would only take liability fr my stock equipemt and staff as they should understand the risks of hring a mobile bar (drunks etc) although we are responsible to encourage responsible drinlng. same applies to wedding private functions etc

Agree you're right there. If somebody calls you then it's out of your hand.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:28 PM

would literally be a case of providing the service i have been asked to, makingsure im within the legislation that governs me

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Karl Barrow (Post 10904982)
this is where the temporary licence comes into play though it will dictate areas it can and cannot be sold in. the majoproty of our business will be private hire and functions aswell as the odd large ebent

Cool, see this is what I'm getting at I was looking into this for the event but the council wouldn't allow it, so just saying it would be a limited market instead of you're catering business which is more widely available for business opportunities.
You will just have look hard on the concert type events and put your feet in the doors of them.
Cracking idea though just limited on sites for sale and business opportunities.

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:34 PM

Suppose if I had a big house with a mahoosive garden and was having a party then I would happily call you.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:35 PM

well fingers crossed ouer wedding and hog roast clientelle basis will provide and produce a varied amount of busines linked in to it all, fingers crossed of course!

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10904995)
Suppose if I had a big house with a mahoosive garden and was having a party then I would happily call you.

:thumb: i do marquee hire too :)

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:38 PM

Well let me know how it goes and I'll set one up here up north lol
Good luck mate hope it goes well.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:39 PM

im always looking to franchise anyway to put the company around the county, so any time your interested pm me dude

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Karl Barrow (Post 10905002)
im always looking to franchise anyway to put the company around the county, so any time your interested pm me dude

Oooooooooh, franchise? I'm too greedy to pay percentage of profits to someone else, I want it all and the drinks business seems a ok idea.:D
Plus wages to pay lol.
I'm always looking for business ideas that are cheap set up costs and good profitts:D

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:48 PM

haha low percentage and franchise costs are minimal, setup anequipement thats it.

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:52 PM

Lol looked into 24hr alcohol delivery to your door but didn't follow it up, too busy and lazy and slipped my mind until now.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:54 PM

plus the legislation to be able to sell and deliver at any hour. market would be minimal and work only really on a saturday and maybe friday night. good idea though

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 10:56 PM

This is why I couldn't be arsed tbh as it would only work on weekends so for the profits is it really worth it.

Karl Barrow 13 December 2012 10:58 PM

unless you worked on a distributiuon basis but lets face it who has the startup capital for that??

bustaMOVEs 13 December 2012 11:05 PM

Yeah! Lol

Karl Barrow 15 December 2012 09:29 PM

does anyone else have anything they would like to add to this?

legb4rsk 16 December 2012 09:16 PM

Just a quick question.Will you be on-site to supervise?
All that cash going over bar may be a temptation.
Unless they pay at the end for what they use.

ScoobyWon't 16 December 2012 09:17 PM

What areas do you cover?

Do you have a personal licence to sell alcohol? It's different to a temporary events notice and premises licence.

Pedroturbo 16 December 2012 09:22 PM

There is a burger van style trailer down the bottom of my road that is a mobile bar looks a posh and expensive trailer and hasnt moved in the last 3 years so it doesnt seem to make him any money!

subaruturbo_18 16 December 2012 10:28 PM

Would you not need a personal licence so you can sell alcohol? and that only authorises up until 499 people, providing you have land owner, and council authority. You may also need to get licensing for the event itself...?

I don't think you can just rock up somewhere and legally start selling alcohol... obviously private and public functions will change the laws on it though...