ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Scottish Independence (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/958286-scottish-independence.html)

stevebt 16 September 2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11516523)
What about people in Northumberland and Newcastle - just over the border yet they don't get all the incentives and promises of investment etc

Must be a bit galling for people up north, but not quite north enough

Maybe this is the death nell of such a London/SE centric United Kingdom

Were all stuffed if its a yes vote. I'm sure it won't be too hard to travel to Scotland for work if it really does make a go of it :)

warrenm2 16 September 2014 07:12 PM

I've heard Manchester called the Venice of the North, with a yes vote Scotland can become the Venezuela of the North....

ScoobyWon't 16 September 2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11516425)
I really don't see why Spain would care. Country X getting independence does not mean coutnry Y will get it. This is not a precedent in law that applies across the EU, this is a matter for the UK, and the UK only. It doesn't matter if the whole of the EU breaks up apart from Spain, if they dno't want the Basques to go it alone, they don't have to let it happen.

OK, it may mean more terrorism, but that's not the same at all. Allowing Scotland in to the EU has no effect on whether Spain allows any autonomy to a region that wishes for independence!

It's not just the Basque region the Spanish will argue, they could also argue fishing rights.

Several EU members have issues with succession. Unfortunately for Scotland some states have a strong principled opposition to succession. Spain, Romania, Cyprus and Greece (and the EU) for instance still do not recognise Kosovan independence.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZzJOAGJpe...0/Scotland.png

Suresh 16 September 2014 08:48 PM

Goodbye

When Scotland leaves, the rUK suicide rate will fall massively. Good riddance to the miserable f\/ckers!

Martin2005 16 September 2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 11516535)
It's not just the Basque region the Spanish will argue, they could also argue fishing rights.

Several EU members have issues with succession. Unfortunately for Scotland some states have a strong principled opposition to succession. Spain, Romania, Cyprus and Greece (and the EU) for instance still do not recognise Kosovan independence.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZzJOAGJpe...0/Scotland.png

They would have to get the UK to back it too.
I'm fairly sure EU members would take a dim view of Scotland if they walk away from their share of the national debt.

Maz 16 September 2014 08:56 PM

Hi Paul living here in Scotland I am seeing first hand whats happening here and to say its electric is a understatement the BBC are having a blackout on whats happening here showing only small amounts of us yes voters congregating when scotlands coming out in there masses to vote yes I cannot describe what I am seeing its a pity south of the border cant see it with censorship from biased medias, at 1.25 in the video you see Edinburgh march which the BBC said 8000 people marched when it was 30000 people marching :) whether you you agree with salmond the people of scotland are rallying behind him which the medias are not showing you south of the boarder, I hope both england and scotland can be the united as friends after independence happens bud :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEF1...ature=youtu.be

hodgy0_2 16 September 2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11516408)
Salmond is getting away with telling bare faced lies about the NHS.

Do you think Salmond will privatise the NHS, after all whatever happens it will be his call?

Sure, Salmond is a politician (a pretty accomplished one who has run rings around Cameron, Milliband Darling etc)

But the yes vote is not about Salmond really is it, the Scots know (because they a pretty savvy in theses matters) that the Yes vote is way more than a vote for the SNP

It is a vote for independence - as the late great Robin Day once said to Sir John Knot "your are a here today gone tomorrow politician" - much like Salmond

Presumably independence will outlive him

DYK 16 September 2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11516631)
Hi Paul living here in Scotland I am seeing first hand whats happening here and to say its electric is a understatement the BBC are having a blackout on whats happening here showing only small amounts of us yes voters congregating when scotlands coming out in there masses to vote yes I cannot describe what I am seeing its a pity south of the border cant see it with censorship from biased medias, at 1.25 in the video you see Edinburgh march which the BBC said 8000 people marched when it was 30000 people marching :) whether you you agree with salmond the people of scotland are rallying behind him which the medias are not showing you south of the boarder, I hope both england and scotland can be the united as friends after independence happens bud :)

Looks like its a yes independence Scotland then ?

hodgy0_2 16 September 2014 09:18 PM

Frightening number of ginger nuts in that video

Half expected it to be a viral for Duracell

Martin2005 16 September 2014 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11516640)
Sure, Salmond is a politician (a pretty accomplished one who has run rings around Cameron, Milliband Darling etc)

But the yes vote is not about Salmond really is it, the Scots know (because they a pretty savvy in theses matters) that the Yes vote is way more than a vote for the SNP

It is a vote for independence - as the late great Robin Day once said to Sir John Knot "your are a here today gone tomorrow politician" - much like Salmond

Presumably independence will outlive him

I see Dimbleby let him off the hook. So much for BBC bias!

Cpt Jack Sparrow 16 September 2014 10:11 PM

Dimbleby grilled brown, then had a fireside chat with Salmond...

Very balanced BBC :wonder:

RA Dunk 17 September 2014 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11516715)
I see Dimbleby let him off the hook. So much for BBC bias!

You really have no idea how bias the Beeb hav been over all of this, but I suppose you know better (as usual) than the thousands who have been protesting outside BBC's offices in Glasgow..

jasey 17 September 2014 08:21 AM

I was particularly impressed with Salmond's answer to what are you going to do in the event of a Yes vote and any market turmoil that many occur on Friday.

"That's the Bank of England's problem"

Devildog 17 September 2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11516381)
400 mill is a darn sight bigger sum in the grand scheme for indy scotland than it is for the uk as a whole.

biggest issue is both sides are bigging up what they want to big up giving scewed views.

even the salmond worshipers can't deny that lol

Ģ400 mil is the number from April next year, not post independence.

Devildog 17 September 2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11516408)
Salmond is getting away with telling bare faced lies about the NHS.

Do you think Salmond will privatise the NHS, after all whatever happens it will be his call?

What lies Martin? Granted he's been clever in his words, but I don;t see any bare faced lies.

I don't think he will - but its not necessarily his call. Its whoever gets voted into power in 2016.

Alan Jeffery 17 September 2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11516526)
Were all stuffed if its a yes vote. I'm sure it won't be too hard to travel to Scotland for work if it really does make a go of it :)

Forget that mate, the place will be swamped with Poles.

f1_fan 17 September 2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11516850)
You really have no idea how bias the Beeb hav been over all of this, but I suppose you know better (as usual) than the thousands who have been protesting outside BBC's offices in Glasgow..

Martin knows everything ..... about nothing :D

Devildog 17 September 2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 11516944)
Forget that mate, the place will be swamped with Poles.

Apparently not, according to Better Together who say all the Polish and others will be sent home apparently...

f1_fan 17 September 2014 10:34 AM

I see that scum ridden rag The Daily Mail is doing its best for the yes campaign by printing a load of unsubstantiated nonsense about the SNP!

Devildog 17 September 2014 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11516966)
I see that scum ridden rag The Daily Mail is doing its best for the yes campaign by printing a load of unsubstantiated nonsense about the SNP!

Its a farce Chris. Thankfully people up here are smart enough to realise that.

What little unacceptable behaviour there has been has been equal on both sides, but you won't see this in the mainstream media:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...lism-1-3536766

Carnut 17 September 2014 11:44 AM

This video just sums up for me how full of bullshėt the yes camp is. I can see some Scottish person sat there crying out dreaming of the freedom.

If the yes vote wins I give it about 5 mins until all the hate towards westminster and the bbc etc is redirected to the new government or who ever has any power or say. Its just small person syndrome.

f1_fan 17 September 2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11516983)
Its a farce Chris. Thankfully people up here are smart enough to realise that.

What little unacceptable behaviour there has been has been equal on both sides, but you won't see this in the mainstream media:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...lism-1-3536766

It does seem once again the English media are being very selective with their coverage. I have sort of given up on the BBC anyway, the Syria chemical attack nonsense was the last straw for me.... I reckon the government pull their strings far too often.

Devildog 17 September 2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11517013)
This video just sums up for me how full of bullshėt the yes camp is. I can see some Scottish person sat there crying out dreaming of the freedom.

That video simply shows the passion and support thousands upon thousands of Scottish people have to be masters of their own destiny.

To be fair, I suppose all you have to compare it to is rioting, looting and fighting, which is what generally what happens when you have large numbers of English people demonstrating together so I can excuse your inability to see it for what it is.

If the yes vote wins I give it about 5 mins until all the hate towards westminster and the bbc etc is redirected to the new government or who ever has any power or say. Its just small person syndrome.
:lol1: Are you for real?

You do know that if the yes vote wins independence won't take place until March 2016?

Whats going to be much more interesting will be if the No vote wins watching Cameron, Clegg and Milliband having to backtrack on the promise of new powers for Scotland :D

Devildog 17 September 2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11517017)
It does seem once again the English media are being very selective with their coverage. I have sort of given up on the BBC anyway, the Syria chemical attack nonsense was the last straw for me.... I reckon the government pull their strings far too often.

Don't be silly Chris, its just us small person syndrome Scots and our hate ;)

It's not as if the BBC have been proven time and time again to have been maniplated. I mean, come on, using the media as a proganda machine has never happened before now, has it :D

Geezer 17 September 2014 12:30 PM

My dealings with Scottish people have been mainly No, or would like to vote Yes but the figures don't add up so will vote no. I think the Yes campaign is lot more visible and vocal, but whether it's actually more popular or not.... I suppose we will see tomorrow!

jonc 17 September 2014 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11517042)
Don't be silly Chris, its just us small person syndrome Scots and our hate ;)

It's not as if the BBC have been proven time and time again to have been maniplated. I mean, come on, using the media as a proganda machine has never happened before now, has it :D

I think it's fair to say that the media as whole on both sides are guilty of propaganda depending on which side they are backing.

I'm beginning to think that the Yes campaign should win as, with the divide this has created in the UK, I think it will be less painful for the rUK. At least with an iScotland, everyone knows where they stand and Scots can no longer blame UK for the woes they will go through as the cost of independence finally hits home. That is if iScotland does not continue to cling on to the purse strings of the Bank of England. If BoE and Westminster continue to have control over iScotland's monetary policy, it will just breed animosity.

Carnut 17 September 2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11517035)
That video simply shows the passion and support thousands upon thousands of Scottish people have to be masters of their own destiny.

To be fair, I suppose all you have to compare it to is rioting, looting and fighting, which is what generally what happens when you have large numbers of English people demonstrating together so I can excuse your inability to see it for what it is.

:lol1: Are you for real?

You do know that if the yes vote wins independence won't take place until March 2016?

Whats going to be much more interesting will be if the No vote wins watching Cameron, Clegg and Milliband having to backtrack on the promise of new powers for Scotland :D

When I say 5 mins I didn't actually mean 5 mins, more like a few years but relatively speaking thats nothing.

Masters of their own destiny:lol1: bankers will still run the moneys, mp's will still be in charge, you cant honestly expect to be the country that produces decent mp's and bankers that dont put themselves first.

English people already have the power that you so crave if what the yes camp say is to be believed and we still dont get the county we want.

Just you wait until the big boys like USA etc and the rest of the uk who are Scotlands biggest market by a long shot start to lean on you :lol1:

oh and stop telling us that we dont know what is going on in Scotland, that may or may not be true but by your logic you have no idea what is going on down here. You also keep talking about Scottish people like they are from a different planet to the English.

nizmo80 17 September 2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11517073)
When I say 5 mins I didn't actually mean 5 mins, more like a few years but relatively speaking thats nothing.

Masters of their own destiny:lol1: bankers will still run the moneys, mp's will still be in charge, you cant honestly expect to be the country that produces decent mp's and bankers that dont put themselves first.

English people already have the power that you so crave if what the yes camp say is to be believed and we still dont get the county we want.

Just you wait until the big boys like USA etc and the rest of the uk who are Scotlands biggest market by a long shot start to lean on you :lol1:

oh and stop telling us that we dont know what is going on in Scotland, that may or may not be true but by your logic you have no idea what is going on down here. You also keep talking about Scottish people like they are from a different planet to the English.

Shouldnt you be standing out side your local shop with a cardboard sign with the end is here written on it shouting out mindless crap trying to scare the feeble minded.

Because you are too weak to stand up against the odds and show you have the balls to do what you feel is right dont mock other people who are confident enough to do what you cannot :D

Maz 17 September 2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11517073)

Releasing Al Megrahi early and telling Trump where to stick his combover proves Scots have more backbone than the weasels in Westminster. I don't think Scotland is looking to cultivate a 'special' relationship with the US.

Geezer 17 September 2014 02:44 PM

Whatever the outcome, you are gonna have a nation divided. Roughly 50/50 on union and independence. Well done Salmond for polarising your population so badly in search of your personal dream.

And the sad thing is, it will make hardly any difference to the average man in the street whether you are part of the union or not. But, whichever way it goes, he has p1ssed off half the population :rolleyes: