ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Snake or Woodhead pass (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/958212-snake-or-woodhead-pass.html)

dsemuk 05 December 2012 08:33 PM

Snake or Woodhead pass

Anyone been across either of the above in the last 24hours? What are the road conditions like?

I prefer the Snake but if that is bad I will go Woodhead.

**jay** 05 December 2012 08:37 PM

Was across the snake pass today in an artic at 44 ton, its pretty icy but nothing too bad, just take care.
Jay

alcazar 05 December 2012 08:52 PM

You are one of those gits that goes this way and holds car drivers between 20 and 40 mph then? LOL

Get on the motorways!

**jay** 05 December 2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10895304)
You are one of those gits that goes this way and holds car drivers between 20 and 40 mph then? LOL

Get on the motorways!

Cant mate as load out of hope so got to use that pass, think of the fuel im saving you lol
Jay

alcazar 05 December 2012 09:03 PM

Pah!

A lovely road like that, a Subaru with 400/400, and EVERY time I go that way, I get stuck behind one of you lot, usually all the way! :(

**jay** 05 December 2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10895332)
Pah!

A lovely road like that, a Subaru with 400/400, and EVERY time I go that way, I get stuck behind one of you lot, usually all the way! :(

lol easy to overtake, too many accidents to be driving quick on that road anyway, the bikers use it like a race track in the summer, wish i did not have to use it as hate it, usually end up with overheated brakes lol but no choice as where i load is on that road :(

dsemuk 05 December 2012 09:41 PM

Snake it is then, thanks for the info **jay**

Are you taking loads out of Blue Circle LaFarge at Hope?

**jay** 05 December 2012 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by dsemuk (Post 10895391)
Snake it is then, thanks for the info **jay**

Are you taking loads out of Blue Circle LaFarge at Hope?

No probs mate just watch out for all the water thats run off the hills and freezing up, its fine though but be wary at corners.

Yeh im a tanker driver i go into lafarge cement at hope now and again, horrid place but needs must :(

Dale17 05 December 2012 10:19 PM

Snows supposed to have shut the snake off earlier tonight pal.

dsemuk 06 December 2012 04:05 PM

Well just arrived back after a few hours in Derbyshire, Snake pass was fine. As **jay** said water run off had frozen on the road surface in places, particularly near the Snake Pass Inn, although it was turning to slush with the passage of traffic.

Also took a diversion along the Strines road, Ewden Valley very icy in places but good fun all the same. I can confirm that winter tyres are worthwhile.

hairy 07 December 2012 06:49 PM

any update on what was like today going that way tomorrow thanks ian

dsemuk 07 December 2012 08:15 PM

I was back across the Snake again today.

Fair bit of snow overnight and the road was closed until about 10AM Friday morning. I went across about 11AM and it was clear a fair bit more snow had fallen overnight, all the lay-bys / pull-ins had a good 3" of snow.

The road surface was clear apart from odd bit of ice, mainly in the gullies.

I did have one interesting encounter, I took the camera with me today so pulled in to get some photos, on my journey back east I pulled up at the summit on the snowy verge. A bloke in a Vauxhall Corsa van had pulled in in the opposite side seeing my tracks thinking it was easy to park on the verges, he was well and truly stuck. He didn't appreciate AWD + winter tyres!

He had a tow rope and a guy in a transit kindly stopped to help drag him back onto the black stuff.

Very pretty but not if you get stuck!

hairy 07 December 2012 09:09 PM

lol cheers think ill go different way have been looking forward to it but you cant get though now when roads closed like you could last year with the new gates might just come back that way :) thanks for the info