ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   07 hawk 2.5 sti skipping/ clunking when full lock in reverse ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/958069-07-hawk-2-5-sti-skipping-clunking-when-full-lock-in-reverse.html)

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 11:42 AM

07 hawk 2.5 sti skipping/ clunking when full lock in reverse ??

When reversing on full lock like skipping sort of feels like its pulling on drivers front side sounds like a rubbing clunking ??? Only on full lock

TonyBurns 04 December 2012 11:50 AM

Well thats the A-DCCD kicking in then (centre diff is winding up to compensate your movements), switch it to manual and open and you wont get this problem (its in the handbook btw ;))

adam405sti 04 December 2012 11:52 AM

It will do that in full lock. Shouldn't really be driven in full lock if driven in small tights spots like parking. Keep an open diff (green setting at bottom or auto).

TonyBurns 04 December 2012 12:04 PM

It will do it in auto no matter what, its only partial lock but you do feel it, only manual and open is where you wont get it at all.

urban 04 December 2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10893380)
only manual and open is where you wont get it at all.

Or if the handbrake is lifted slightly?

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 12:45 PM

It's doing it in auto toe, I meant the steering on full lock ?

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 12:47 PM

Ill try it in manual toe and see if that fixes it, I finish at 2pm so ill reply an let u know how I get on :(

urban 04 December 2012 01:07 PM

toe?

And why are you thanking yourself :Suspiciou

TonyBurns 04 December 2012 01:28 PM

yup the handbrake works but it means you have to pull it on the first notch, easier to just switch to manual ;)

urban 04 December 2012 01:40 PM

Indeed tis much easier to just switch to manual.

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 02:08 PM

I've jus put it in manual and tried it works fine, I'm at a gararge by mine now, I'm just going to get it checked just to be on the safe side, :) thanks for the help

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 02:30 PM

Just had it checked it didn't make no noises or skipping out in auto or manual when it was doing it I'd been out for about an hour or so, the fella at the gararge said its probably done it because the diff was hot, but ill just run it for abit in manual full back and see if any noises appear, this thing has a mind of its own, thanks for the advice people :))

Flaps 04 December 2012 03:33 PM

I thought mine was broken when I heard my 07 STI do this for the first time too! :lol1:
I find that's the only use for the diff switch, to stop it making noises! I notice no other difference!

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 03:41 PM

Haha that's the first time I'd heared it do that, I've not had the car long, do you run yours in manual or auto ?

WRX Blues 04 December 2012 04:14 PM

Sorry to hi-jack but whilst we are on the subject of DCCD can you play with this on the move?

urban 04 December 2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by WRX Blues (Post 10893666)
Sorry to hi-jack but whilst we are on the subject of DCCD can you play with this on the move?

Yes

WRX Blues 04 December 2012 04:43 PM

Thanks Urban

Hawkeye D 04 December 2012 06:01 PM

I have been getting this too on my 07 STi Spec D.

Glad I'm not alone, and it's sounding more like characteristic than faulty.
They really don't like being reversed on full lock do they!

Dan- 04 December 2012 07:04 PM

when i 1st noticed my car doing this i was like noooo! just got the car and the diffs knackered! if your in locked diff its horrid! i will never do that again haha in the dry

Norman Dog 04 December 2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 10893807)
I have been getting this too on my 07 STi Spec D.

Glad I'm not alone, and it's sounding more like characteristic than faulty.
They really don't like being reversed on full lock do they!

Exactly the same with mine, just as the OP describes.
Oh well, at least i know what it is now. :)

The Pink Ninja 04 December 2012 07:40 PM

I did the same when i got my current car, I thought id take it to Elvington for a Grudgement Day and have a play with the diff as i hadnt had a A-Dccd car before, It took a bit of getting used to when driving it into the corners and when i finished my lap came slowly in on full lock and all i could hear and feel was bang bang, I thought i`d popped a driveshaft or something :)

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dan- (Post 10893885)
when i 1st noticed my car doing this i was like noooo! just got the car and the diffs knackered! if your in locked diff its horrid! i will never do that again haha in the dry

Yes I put mine in lock in the dry when I first got the car and went round a roundabout and nearly ended up through a wall / I quote do not put the dccd in lock and try and do a tight turn unless your name is ken block lol :)

Px07 Scooby 04 December 2012 07:53 PM

I think it's time to dig the manual out and have a read of it before I drive this thing again lol :)

Flaps 04 December 2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Px07 Scooby (Post 10893630)
Haha that's the first time I'd heared it do that, I've not had the car long, do you run yours in manual or auto ?

Auto unless turning tightly or reversing

Infected by sti 04 December 2012 11:23 PM

I thought the exact same thing the first night I pulled home in my blob :lol1: pulled up and reversed as I would normally to be greeted to "clunk clunk clunk" I thought WTF! Was not best please lmao, done some research and done what the others have said and it ain't done it since, I leave the wheel set right back so the clocks light up green on the indicator and just flick the switch when reversing, I often drive around in fully open / switch all the way back when dry anyway, find its better on fuel when on a run :wonder:

Dan- 05 December 2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Infected by sti (Post 10894355)
I thought the exact same thing the first night I pulled home in my blob :lol1: pulled up and reversed as I would normally to be greeted to "clunk clunk clunk" I thought WTF! Was not best please lmao, done some research and done what the others have said and it ain't done it since, I leave the wheel set right back so the clocks light up green on the indicator and just flick the switch when reversing, I often drive around in fully open / switch all the way back when dry anyway, find its better on fuel when on a run :wonder:

its when it rains when its on open and you forget :P