ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Sky's Soccer Saturday programme???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/957823-skys-soccer-saturday-programme.html)

f1_fan 01 December 2012 03:24 PM

Sky's Soccer Saturday programme????

My brother has today introduced me to the delights of Sky's Soccer Saturday programme - wtf?????

The programme seems to consist of an anchorman (with a silent w presumably) reading out the scores that are clearly coming up at the bottom of the screen and adding some random fact like "that's Seth Hedgewick's first goal for non league twice removed Theckford Town since his cat died".

Then there are four or five semi articulate ex footballers being paid to watch various Premier League game in the studio and occasionally the focus switches to them where they excitedly describe like a ten year old on Christmas morning what they just saw on the screen (rather than show it to us) and whilst doing so are more often than not drowned out by the even more excited exclamations from one of the others off screen whereupon attention switches to them and they say something like 'the manager has just come of his bench and said something so one of his players". If a goal goes in I am sure one of them will have a coronary!

The piece de resistance however is where we go live to the grounds around the country and hear from some full on inarticulate types about whatever game they are watching - do we see the action? No, again we see the person watching the action describing it like a subnormal baboon - it's virtually impossible in some cases to understand what the hell they are going on about?

So in essence you are watching a programme of people relaying what they are watching on screens and at the grounds.... it's radio for the TV and it's stupid!

Does anyone watch this sh1t? Only football could throw up this nonsense :lol1: :lol1:

Myles 01 December 2012 03:26 PM

If you don't like football (and as an f1 fan you wont), you wont like it.

zip106 01 December 2012 03:27 PM

It's football (or to give it its correct name - soccer), expect no less.

They have to dumb it down so the supporters understand it. :)

ronjeramy 01 December 2012 03:28 PM

Not a football fan then :D

f1_fan 01 December 2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 10890100)
If you don't like football (and as an f1 fan you wont), you wont like it.

If F1 was broadcast this way I would still not watah it. It's crap stupid TV for morons IMO!

zip106 01 December 2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 10890105)

Me?

Good God no!

Wrong shaped ball for me.

f1_fan 01 December 2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 10890105)

Not at all, but it's more the premise of the programme that astounds me... it's the biggest load of nonsense I have ever seen!

Myles 01 December 2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10890108)
Me?

Good God no!

Wrong shaped ball for me.

You like the game of gentlemen then, midget throwing and blood capsule chewing?

Myles 01 December 2012 03:41 PM

The Soccer Saturday prog has made the same mistake as the F1 programmes, they employed some ex-competitors who in the case of the football could be described as moronic, in the case of F1 incredibly boring or just tapped and unable to string two sensible sentences together.

f1_fan 01 December 2012 03:44 PM

Well my brother is intent on sitting here and watching this crap so I am going to take the Merc out for a blat! See you all later :thumb:

zip106 01 December 2012 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 10890121)
You like the game of gentlemen then, midget throwing and blood capsule chewing?

I do, and there are cheats in all sports so no need to go into all that bollocks.

Myles 01 December 2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10890127)
I do, and there are cheats in all sports so no need to go into all that bollocks.

I know, its a sin to generalise.

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10890102)
It's football (or to give it its correct name - soccer), expect no less.

They have to dumb it down so the supporters understand it. :)

zip106 01 December 2012 03:49 PM

You were talking about the game, I was talking about the spectators.

I'm correct in my generalisation :p

Aaron1978 01 December 2012 05:12 PM

Shock horror, person dislikes programme that talks about something they dislike:lol1:

alcazar 01 December 2012 06:12 PM

I used to love football.

The advent of the Premiersh1te and the amount of money swilling round in the game, plus over-hyped footballers and managers who cannot be questioned, and now Sky's version of "Grandstand" has turned me right off the whole shebang:(

Scooby B 01 December 2012 06:26 PM

Its worth watching just for Chris Kamara :lol1:

Myles 01 December 2012 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10890283)
I used to love football.

The advent of the Premiersh1te and the amount of money swilling round in the game, plus over-hyped footballers and managers who cannot be questioned, and now Sky's version of "Grandstand" has turned me right off the whole shebang:(

Football as it should be survives in Leagues 1 and 2 and below.

billyrogers 01 December 2012 08:16 PM

i always watch it on a saturday as a footy fan, unless they are showing a game ofcourse. albeit i could get live score updates from my phone, i still end up watching this. no idea why as i can see your point :cuckoo:

The Dogs B******s 01 December 2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 10890471)
I'm watching the X Factor now, so figuratively yes, it is well up there.:thumb:

Me to:cry:

zip106 02 December 2012 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 10890467)
Not you:thumb:

Me then?

I'm not trolling either.

Just saying, that's all.

I played soccer from the age of 5 right through to 15, got disillusioned with the rantings of other parents and the coaches, so turned to rugby, played, and now coach.

Much better IN MY OPINION.

Myles 02 December 2012 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10890744)
Me then?

I'm not trolling either.

Just saying, that's all.

I played soccer from the age of 5 right through to 15, got disillusioned with the rantings of other parents and the coaches, so turned to rugby, played, and now coach.

Much better IN MY OPINION.

No, I don't think it was you either. I think the target of Dog's ire was the OP.

f1_fan 02 December 2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 10890498)
As it is this is the best you can get for a legitimate update of your teams progress.

I N T E R N E T !!!! Doh! :Whatever_

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 10890498)
f1 fan sounds like a closet homosexual based on his constant need to protest that he doesn't like 22 men on a muddy field showing how athletic they are and sometimes kissing each other.

Ah the last bastion of defence of the football fan.... the gay jibe! It would work if I had a problem with the concept of homosexuality, but luckily I am blessed with a brain so I don't! Next!

Funkii Munkii 02 December 2012 11:30 AM

Dont you ever tire of it F1 ?, like we needed another reminder of your hatred of Football.

You must have been at a loose end when you were talking Lfc in the Sports forum last season :lol1:

Myles 02 December 2012 11:47 AM

I would make a comment about F1Fan not liking sport, and F1 not being a sport but that would just be antagonistic!

f1_fan 02 December 2012 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10891001)
Dont you ever tire of it F1 ?, like we needed another reminder of your hatred of Football.

How come you missed the point of the post even though I have reiterated it 3 times?.... Ah yes... football fan!

f1_fan 02 December 2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 10891018)
I would make a comment about F1Fan not liking sport, and F1 not being a sport but that would just be antagonistic!

Not at all, it would be your opinion and one to which you are entitled, it is not, however, the topic of this thread!

tubbytommy 02 December 2012 12:56 PM

i watch it from time to time but unless you are interested in the sport in question it seems pretty pointless a bit like the discussions on the f1 program on tv.

but being a fan of both sports i find both programs entertaining

Myles 02 December 2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10891066)
Not at all, it would be your opinion and one to which you are entitled, it is not, however, the topic of this thread!

Indeed it is not! :thumb:

Watching Soccer Saturday next week then?

Funkii Munkii 02 December 2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10891065)
How come you missed the point of the post even though I have reiterated it 3 times?.... Ah yes... football fan!

Sport's fan :thumb:

Hammer man 02 December 2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10890097)
My brother has today introduced me to the delights of Sky's Soccer Saturday programme - wtf?????
Does anyone watch this sh1t? Only football could throw up this nonsense :lol1: :lol1:

"Does anyone watch this"....yes, your brother. I go to the game instead. Its much more fun.
"Only football could throw up this nonsense".....No, Sky tv has.:rolleyes: