ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Connect iPad to Amp wireless. Options? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/957787-connect-ipad-to-amp-wireless-options.html)

IWatkins 01 December 2012 03:01 AM

Connect iPad to Amp wireless. Options?

Real easy one. Real life experiences only please. Please.

I want to connect wirelessly over about 18 feet between my iPad to my stereo amplifier. I'll be using the Music app to play music. Amp has RCA or optical input.

For the last six months its been headphones only (urgh), but neighbour is away for six months so good for big noise here.

Hooray!

BlueBugEye 01 December 2012 07:45 AM

Or similar.

JackClark 01 December 2012 09:24 AM

Airport express will Airplay music to your Amp whilst extending your network. Or if your Amp is near your TV, Apple TV.

john banks 02 December 2012 10:03 AM

I tried that Belkin and sent it back as the audio quality was poor, it sounded like an AM radio.

john banks 02 December 2012 10:08 AM

I am presently thinking of connecting my iPad to my amp with a 3.5mm jack cable and seeing if I can remote control it with iPhone and getting the iPad to play stuff from network. When I tried to get iTunes to play over network I got lots of errors so I just ended up using windows media player which just worked. I have wired networking at my amp and server.

john banks 02 December 2012 01:08 PM

10 mins playing around and Raspmc is streaming my iTunes library over my network - presently through HDMI to the TV, but it has an option to do it through its 3.5mm jack plug. Working very smoothly, won't need to have yet another computer by my TV, using iPhone as a remote for XMBC, and will try Airplay through it too.

This is a fantastic use for a Raspberry Pi with less messing around than getting iTunes to play over a network or getting DLNA working on my Sony Blu-Ray (it works but it clunky to use).

john banks 02 December 2012 02:04 PM

Airplay and 3.5mm jack plug output work. There is a little click when changing between tracks on the 3.5mm output which may or may not be a deal breaker, but it doesn't happen over HDMI.

john banks 03 December 2012 08:00 PM

If anyone is not bored to death yet, I thought I would mention that the click on HDMI was solved by updating the firmware on my TV! This is looking like a great solution for me, but if using 3.5mm jack plug I'd not do it no because of the clicking between tracks which is a known bug.

bustaMOVEs 03 December 2012 08:18 PM

Yep airport express for streaming music wirelessly from iPhone/iPad and if you want to stream to tv then apple tv.
I only need to stream my music so airport express is good for me. (thanks to jackclark for info a while ago).

Littleted 05 December 2012 11:56 AM

pioneer amps have built in Airplay, if your flush

JackClark 05 December 2012 04:47 PM

Built in Airplay is a win. I want a Zeppelin so bad.