ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Lotus 340R What do you think ???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/95746-lotus-340r-what-do-you-think.html)

Wish 13 May 2002 08:50 PM

Ive been looking around for a Lotus 340R, Quite a rare car Olny around 150 in the country.
But i worried by the fall in the values cost £35k new and can now pick one up from a dealer for around £20k do you think the values will hold from now on ? or am i on a looser !!!

Scaramanga 14 May 2002 08:58 AM

I reckon that they are going to lose a fair bit more as well. The recent press seems to say that for the compromises you have to make (no weather protection, exorbitent service costs) aren't justified by the performance. One recent example was that to change the battery required a full body off job (seeing as it's a single moulded item). Costs were 75quid for the battery and 1,500 for the labour (yes you read that right)

Evo Mag are running one as a long term test car if you want to keep an eye on what they think.

The only upside as far as I can see is the exclusivity of them.
I'm now going to be proven comprehensively wrong and they will rocket in value ;)

Just my tuppence worth. Depends if you want to enjoy or keep as an investment?

Good luck anyway
Cheers,

Simon

chuckster 14 May 2002 09:59 AM

I have to agree with everything Simon said, body off servicing - ouch! The fact the Exige is a more capable car can't help either. I'd like one though, purely for the fact it's soo rare. :D
C

chris p1 14 May 2002 05:20 PM

Get a Westfield type car they are loads cheaper and a lot faster if you get the right one,i took my Westy to Rockingham last week and it blow away all the Lotus's including a 340R,i could by two off mine for a cheap one of there's :)
Chris.

Chris T 14 May 2002 05:58 PM

try www.british-cars.co.uk

there is a 340r forum there plus all the elise chaps - some of whom may have previously had a 340r.

also look at www.southrun.co.uk there is a web page with links - the link you need is jackals forge or jackals race page - this chap had a 340 - he may still have it for sale - they are around 18k to 20k now - yes they will go down further - get the 190bhp spec - mad mad cars - guaranteed crowd pleaser - many many westie types around - but the loti will pull the crowds.

wilf 14 May 2002 06:33 PM

Have you been reading the EVO mag long term test comments?

......£750 labour plus VAT just to change the battery cos the whole body has to come off. Same story with replacing a radiator which cost EVO over £1k. Ouch

Wish 08 May 2012 06:16 PM

Wow my second ever post back in the day.

UPDATE ... Well I did buy one and had it for a while. Great car to own and made money on it ! Result :-)

Terminator X 10 May 2012 12:45 AM

10yr old thread, are you fookin loopy :lol1:

TX.

Wish 10 May 2012 06:22 PM

Lol it was my second post on here :-)