ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do You Use a Desktop PC at Home anymore? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/957303-do-you-use-a-desktop-pc-at-home-anymore.html)

pslewis 26 November 2012 01:21 PM

Do You Use a Desktop PC at Home anymore?

Wondering if the desktop PC has had its day?

In our house we all have Laptops/Netbooks ..... after Xmas we shall all have Tablets.

The Desktop is useable, old, but works fine - yet sits in the dining room without use .... I'm thinking of chucking it into the 6th Bedroom where it will sit until I build the courage to throw it in the bin ...............

And, you lot, do you use Tablets/Laptops soley these days?

alcazar 26 November 2012 01:24 PM

Sitting in front of a desktop here, and have another in france.

I HATE laptops with a vengeance, with their horrid cramped keyboards, the way you can't get the screen to eye level, the lack of a mouse, and even, on some, the lack of any drives.....

LSherratt 26 November 2012 01:28 PM

I've used desktops for the past 12 years or so, but just last month I bite the bullet and bought a Macbook Pro (laptop). I find it better simply because I can use it downstairs in the living room while watching TV, or in the kitchen while keeping an eye on the cooking, etc.

At the moment I'm typing on it while sat at my desk, and it's just as fast as my old desktop. I don't know how anyone can think the keyboard is cramped? Also this has a retina screen so I don't even need to worry about levelling the screen exactly to my eye level.

My desktop is currently gathering dust on my bedroom floor until I have the balls to chuck it.

chocolate_o_brian 26 November 2012 01:32 PM

Yep, 7 years old and a Frankenstein of components here.

Fantom 26 November 2012 01:34 PM

I'll never get rid of my desktop but hardly use it since I got an ipad

speedking 26 November 2012 01:39 PM

Yes. Hate laptops with a vengeance.

David Lock 26 November 2012 01:41 PM

Can't decide whether to keep them in my 7th or 8th bedroom :wonder:

dl

billyrogers 26 November 2012 01:42 PM

i use both depending on use. laptop for casual web browsing and light stuff.

use my desktop for gaming and video editing and anything more demanding because you cant beat a high spec pc compared to a laptop for processing power. (well unless you have a brand new alienware or dell xps or something like £2000)

steve ex vauxhall 26 November 2012 01:52 PM

All tablets here.
Passed the desktop to the butler :-)

dpb 26 November 2012 02:01 PM

Still got one , in the fifteenth bedroom. :rolleyes:

Oldun 26 November 2012 02:01 PM

PC at home and work, can't stand laptops, tablets, smart phones etc.

I think that the world has become hypnotised by mobile devices.

derekboy71 26 November 2012 03:13 PM

I use a Dell laptop. Can't stand all the cable from Desktops, plus the cat use to chew through them :)

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2012 03:20 PM

Have an ipad that I'm forcing myself to use (to learn about for work).

Have a laptop that I CANNOT do without.

Also have about 4 desktop machines littered around the house.

All get used as much as possible over the tablet for one simple reason - the tactility of a keyboard is nigh-on impossible to recreate on a flat screen.

Same applies to feckin smart phones/touchscreen phones.

Leslie 26 November 2012 03:34 PM

I have built my own PC's for some years now. I enjoy doing it and working to make them as fast as I can.

My desk is adequately large enough for my present desktop as well as my amateur radios and I feel no urge at all to change things. I certainly don't feel the need to be able to access a PC in any room in the house!

Les

samo 26 November 2012 03:37 PM

I have a desktop at the moment, but will be switching to a laptop for the sake of space. My house is stupidly small (lounge/kitchen, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom) so have no room with my planned home improvements. Shame as i hate laptops too but needs must.

Graz 26 November 2012 05:20 PM

Depends what you're doing with it I guess. Even on laptops at work now except I just plug it into my docking station with two 21" 1080p monitors, keyboard and mouse attached to it so it might as well be a desktop. Engineering PC is an actual desktop. So in a corporate environment yes they are still used a lot.

At home same thing, desktop mostly gathering dust, have a server, couple of laptops and I planning on building a home theatre PC to plug into the plasma :)

ScoobyJawa 26 November 2012 05:28 PM

Bigtime - no laptop has 3 x 1920x1200 displays :D

legb4rsk 26 November 2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10883996)
Can't decide whether to keep them in my 7th or 8th bedroom :wonder:

dl

There are a lot of bedrooms in the care home.Pete thinks it's a big house.:thumb:

Mary mag 26 November 2012 06:01 PM

I do not own a smartphone, nor a laptop, a notebook(?) etc.

I don't even have a computer - i have no need for one.

dpb 26 November 2012 06:10 PM

OK, I'm confused

Oldun 26 November 2012 06:12 PM

Ahh, I see, so you access S Net via some other means then? :)

Mary mag 26 November 2012 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10884380)
OK, I'm confused

Ha Ha I knew that would be coming!

I use an old TV and a Dreamcast games console I picked up from a church jumble sale for a few pounds!

I guess it is almost a computer of a kind.

mart360 26 November 2012 06:23 PM

Desktop - Main PC/server

and a lappy & tablets

all have ther uses

Mart

ALi-B 26 November 2012 06:44 PM

Can't stand laptops/tablets etc. Displays are far too small and the screen resolution is usually far too low. I hate looking at a single tiny 15" (or 17" screen) when I have a beautiful 23" 1920 x 1200 IPS monitor, and a 19" along side it.

Using anything smaller is like looking at the desktop through a letterbox :lol1:

That attitude may change if I get my hands on a Retina laptop - 2880 by 1800 resolution Mmmmm. Although the bad posture issues of using a laptop would need to be addressed; Crouching over a screen that is too low is very unhealthy in the long term.

The stagnation of the ATX form factor is whats killing the desktop PC IMO. Almost all PCs have to comply with a variation of it, even in uATX size its dimensions are hopelessly cumbersome when it comes to making something that would look good under a nice plasma display that doesn't sound like a hairdryer when doing heavy processing. Something Steve Jobs was right on..PCs are dull beige boxes (well, black these days).

The desktop PC need to be smaller, but remain expandable. Its possible; we don't need huge ATX PSUs and gargantuan 5.25" drive bays anymore. And why does everything on the motherboard have to be one one side?...fold it! So half of the components are on the underside - instantly you've halved the size of the motherboard!

My ideas and concepts are wasted on here :lol1:

dpb 26 November 2012 06:51 PM

I'd have to admit to thinking about mini mac as replacement desktop. :o

corradoboy 26 November 2012 06:57 PM

I've only ever had a laptop, I bought my Powerbook G3 in 2000 and it's still in daily use. Due an upgrade as the processor simply can't cope any more, but I'm going the other way and getting a desktop by sticking a Mac Mini under the TV as a media device. I might add an iPad when funds allow too, but I hope that will be it for another 10-12 years.

stevebt 26 November 2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 10884406)
Desktop - Main PC/server

and a lappy & tablets

all have ther uses

Mart

What he says :)

davyboy 26 November 2012 07:18 PM

When time allows I use my 27 inch iMac. Always a pleasure.

Movie editing or photos, or just play browsing.

J4CKO 26 November 2012 07:26 PM

Well, desktops,

1 in the front room, main one, one in the garage, one in the man hut and the middle lad has a desktop being a gamer, so that is four.

Laptops, I have two (both Dells, one work 12 inch and 17 inch home beast), wife has one, eldest has one and youngest has a laptop.

You know what this means,

We have to many bloody computers !

I am responsible for 324 Oracle and SQL Servers at work as well.

RobsyUK 26 November 2012 07:42 PM

Gaming and webcams are massive on p.c's so they will be around forever