ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Stereo not working (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/957186-stereo-not-working.html)

jaygsi 25 November 2012 02:16 PM

Stereo not working

Stereo stopped working lights up but no volume, stereo works in other cars. Wirring loom looks fine so does iso plug, but no sound at all?

alcazar 25 November 2012 05:45 PM

Separate speaker plug, somewhere?

jaygsi 26 November 2012 09:06 PM

Can't find one, iso plug looks find, the next plug inline looks ok

Infected by sti 26 November 2012 09:31 PM

Had it been working fine before in this car?

I Have had it before on an install where the loom from the radio ISO plug did not match the car loom, the switched live feed (remote lead) was going to another wire on the car loom causing it to mute, have only had it once and was not in a scoob but thought I'd throw it out there.

jaygsi 27 November 2012 11:37 AM

Thanks for info will take a look at that, it worked for a few mins then stopped, so will check loom on orignal stereo

jaygsi 11 December 2012 10:54 AM

All looks ok, any other ideas?

Infected by sti 11 December 2012 11:17 AM

So the remote lead out of the radio loom is not going anywhere on the car loom? If it is going somewhere still give it a snip if its not in use. Have you put another stero in the car to check the speakers? If you ain't got another stereo to try use a AA battery and put the live terminal of the speaker cable to the live in battery and same on the earth, it will give you a distortion sound but will enable you to listen out for the speakers if no other option is available.

Sounds a bit of an odd one that tbh, it's got to be something really trivial and staring you in the face if it works in other cars :lol1: no doubt you will kick yourself when you find it shag ;) just hope it aint dead speakers but for all of them to give out is very unlikely IMO, are they still standard speakers in the doors or aftermarket ones? And if aftermarket ones did you install them or were they already fitted? And have you had them working before now :wonder:

alphaj12 11 December 2012 01:26 PM

I know this will sound really stupid but I had this problem on my old classic

I traced it down to a loose connection in the boot, basically under the rear parcel shelf but in the boot itself. All I had to do was to touch/move the wires a fraction and it would then work fine......till it happened again. Just kept touching them every time I had no music. Could never understand how it affected the fron speakers as well but I didn't really investigateas it only happened every few months.

Like I say it sounds daft but gotta be worth a look

alcazar 11 December 2012 04:42 PM

If it's affecting the fronts too, it MIGHT be a wire producing a dead short.

Best to find it as it can burn out output transistors.

Infected by sti 11 December 2012 05:38 PM

Yea that's why I asked about the speakers, your rather unfortunate if its all standard and its grounding its self somewhere where the wire has split/frayed etc on the speakers, you don't get much of that with standard installs, its more so where people have done dodgy cable runs along sharp edges and put the covers over the top or seals back in place not realising what their doing on installs that issue rears its head more often than not.

jaygsi 12 December 2012 12:27 AM

Ok cheers will try suggestions, only bought it few months ago, fitted new stereo was working fine, now stopped, so not sure if on orginal speakers or not.

jaygsi 19 February 2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by alphaj12 (Post 10901912)
I know this will sound really stupid but I had this problem on my old classic

I traced it down to a loose connection in the boot, basically under the rear parcel shelf but in the boot itself. All I had to do was to touch/move the wires a fraction and it would then work fine......till it happened again. Just kept touching them every time I had no music. Could never understand how it affected the fron speakers as well but I didn't really investigateas it only happened every few months.

Like I say it sounds daft but gotta be worth a look

Bang on the money, cheers lad, dodgy connection on rear 6x9, how this affects the sound system i can't workout, but your advice worked a treat cheers