ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spacesaver really any use? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/956247-spacesaver-really-any-use.html)

markb_s1 16 November 2012 09:28 AM

Spacesaver really any use?

Morning folks.

I've got a flat on my car and was thinking of sticking the space saver on so i can get the flat off and drive to a mate's to get a new tyre fitted. However, it occurred to me that this may be a stupendously bad idea...

bearing in mind I, like most of you i suspect, have aftermarket wheels and tyres fitted, I'm concerned that there will be a mismatch between the circumference of the space saver and the ones on there which will cause problems for my front diff... can anyone advise please?

Infected by sti 16 November 2012 09:54 AM

If its just to get to a local garage then I would personally say you will be fine, I would not recommend using it as an everyday wheel :nono:

markb_s1 16 November 2012 10:19 AM

certainly wouldn't use it everyday.

i reckon it would be for about a 10 mile drive, so not that far, and i certainly wouldnt' be caning it!

sovietspybob 16 November 2012 10:49 AM

In the handbook for the 2005 widetrack STi it says when using the space saver make sure you set the DCCD to fully open mode. Not sure how the non DCCD center diff copes with it but it must be designed to cope with it to some extent otherwise they wouldn't have a space saver in the car.

Even though you've got aftermarket wheels the rolling radius will be the same as standard wheels? Otherwise your speedo would be reading wrongly.

Infected by sti 16 November 2012 10:53 AM

It will be fine for that period bud IMO :)

markb_s1 16 November 2012 11:11 AM

thanks folks.
i think the current wheels/tyres aren't hugely different form the stadnard RR, so i'll give it a go. :)

urban 16 November 2012 11:14 AM

Had to use the space saver a few times in the past(maybe 15 mile trip)
Just don't drive too quick

Scooby B 16 November 2012 12:28 PM

Just dont go too fast or too far and you will be ok.

Bristol98 16 November 2012 02:00 PM

What about a set of four for winter? ;)

urban 16 November 2012 02:05 PM

Also markb s1, ot sure what car you drive.
But, on the newage STI's the spacesaver won't fit over the front calipers, so you have to changes two tyres :mad:

bustaMOVEs 16 November 2012 02:33 PM

Don't the sti come with space saver that cover the brembos then?

Henrik 16 November 2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10870807)
Don't the sti come with space saver that cover the brembos then?

if you get a front puncture, you need to stick the space saver on the rear wheel and use the rear tyre on the front, according to my handbook :)

bustaMOVEs 16 November 2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 10870820)
if you get a front puncture, you need to stick the space saver on the rear wheel and use the rear tyre on the front, according to my handbook :)

That's a bit of a farce in it:cuckoo: I have a wrx with brembos on and was thinking of getting a sti space saver just in case my front had a puncture.
That's a bit poor from Subaru not to make one for the brembos.
Replacing a puncture on the hard shoulder on a motorway will take double amount of time to change, where as you need to get off hard shoulder ASAP as its a danger zone, so therefore you're more at risk now.
Well I don't need another space saver then, mines the same:thumb:

urban 16 November 2012 02:50 PM

Yeah, and you'll especially enjoy changing a front puncture some night when its raining!

Paulo P 16 November 2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bristol98 (Post 10870772)
What about a set of four for winter? ;)

That's what I've just done :D

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...556C177ED3.jpg

Ayde 16 November 2012 03:03 PM

The STI spacesaver is a different size (bigger) to the WRX spacesaver. I got hold of one when I put STI Brembos on my WRX. Whether the spacesaver will fit over them I haven't a clue?

bustaMOVEs 16 November 2012 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ayde (Post 10870850)
The STI spacesaver is a different size (bigger) to the WRX spacesaver. I got hold of one when I put STI Brembos on my WRX. Whether the spacesaver will fit over them I haven't a clue?

Really :wonder: think somebody needs to try this and confirm it :thumb:

Henrik 16 November 2012 03:15 PM

Arent the rear STI brakes bigger than the WRX brakes too? Might be why the space saver is bigger, as the WRX one might not fit over the STi rears either (if they are indeed different in the first place)

bustaMOVEs 16 November 2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 10870863)
Arent the rear STI brakes bigger than the WRX brakes too? Might be why the space saver is bigger, as the WRX one might not fit over the STi rears either (if they are indeed different in the first place)

Maybe, the calipers are very similar size but the discs size differs 290 on wrx and 316 on sti.
So could be.

markb_s1 16 November 2012 04:08 PM

thanks all. fortunately (???) my car is a my93 wrx with wrx front calipers so i'm hoping it won't be a problem. :)

bioforger 16 November 2012 08:04 PM

Newage STi spacesaver fits over brembos I used it a couple of weeks ago on mine for a week. Diff doesnt need to be open either, load of tosh, make sure its pumped up to 60psi or whatever, drive off boost and keep it below 60.

Jacko4130 16 November 2012 08:13 PM

Used my space saver on my 03 STI and all was fine, just dont go booting it, I stuck to under 50 mph and all was fine over the 5 miles home.

bustaMOVEs 16 November 2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 10871233)
Newage STi spacesaver fits over brembos I used it a couple of weeks ago on mine for a week. Diff doesnt need to be open either, load of tosh, make sure its pumped up to 60psi or whatever, drive off boost and keep it below 60.

Originally Posted by Jacko4130 (Post 10871261)
Used my space saver on my 03 STI and all was fine, just dont go booting it, I stuck to under 50 mph and all was fine over the 5 miles home.

Ah cool, cheers guys for confirmation, might just get one now :thumb:

beef-on-the-bone 16 November 2012 09:36 PM

get a fifth alloy instead??

i got rid of my spacesaver and have a full size spare with a decent tyre and all match if on the car, and no worries about clearing my brakes (8 pots)

stockcar 17 November 2012 10:20 AM

lots of modern cars have Space Savers that only fit the rear axle because of over-sized front brakes.....