ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   help with modifications please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/956107-help-with-modifications-please.html)

markbrooks 14 November 2012 07:51 PM

help with modifications please

Hello. I have just brought my first impreza. Its a 52plate wrx and i would like to modify the engine but i have never done this before and dont really no where to start. I have heard that i could re-map it to about 250 bhp but i would like it to be around the 300 mark. Can anyone give me any ideas on what is good modifications to do and roughly what bhp i would get from them. It would also be nice if u could give me a rough idea on cost for the modifications to. Thanks

* * * KEV * * * 14 November 2012 07:55 PM

Probably be a good idea to let people know if the cars been modified in any way first off all and then you're more likely to get better answers ;)

L.J.F 14 November 2012 07:57 PM

To reach 300 you will need to upgrade-

Turbo
Injectors
Exhaust
Fuel pump
Top mount intercooler

Then have a remap for the above mods but just remember you will probably need to get better brake setup aswell to help stop the extra power;)

MattyB1983 14 November 2012 08:00 PM

300 bhp is just out of your reach with the standard turbo.
Your best route is -

-Decent exhaust system with either a sports CAT or a de-cat.
-good brand panel filter
-three port boost Solonoid
-new fuel pump (not essential but more for safety)
-mapping session with a well know tuner

These few mods will completely transform your car and bring power up to about 280 bhp (maybe a bit more) with similar torque. The drivability will be so much better too which Is the important bit.

Cost wise, second hand exhaust is going to be circa £200, new panel filter £40, fuel pump £50, three port £15 and then mapping.

stonejedi 14 November 2012 08:07 PM

My advice would be to get a feel of the car first as it is your first impreza before adding more power.I would proberly start with brakes handling mods etc... first,then open up the power a bit.it's a slippery slop once you start modifying but well worth it.

markbrooks 14 November 2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10868575)
300 bhp is just out of your reach with the standard turbo.
Your best route is -

-Decent exhaust system with either a sports CAT or a de-cat.
-good brand panel filter
-three port boost Solonoid
-new fuel pump (not essential but more for safety)
-mapping session with a well know tuner

These few mods will completely transform your car and bring power up to about 280 bhp (maybe a bit more) with similar torque. The drivability will be so much better too which Is the important bit.

Cost wise, second hand exhaust is going to be circa £200, new panel filter £40, fuel pump £50, three port £15 and then mapping.

Thany you both for your replys. Just out of interest how much would a bigger turbo be and what gain would it give me. Also to matty how much would a new exhaust cost and what is a good make to go for and what is a three port solonoid

markbrooks 14 November 2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 10868590)
My advice would be to get a feel of the car first as it is your first impreza before adding more power.I would proberly start with brakes handling mods etc... first,then open up the power a bit.it's a slippery slop once you start modifying but well worth it.

I had a fiat coupe 20v turbo before this which has simular power but because its front wheel drive i didnt think it was worth giving it any more power.

markbrooks 14 November 2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by * * * KEV * * * (Post 10868554)
Probably be a good idea to let people know if the cars been modified in any way first off all and then you're more likely to get better answers ;)

Sorry its compleatly standard apart from a dump valve

alcazar 14 November 2012 08:18 PM

Before embarking on ANY mods check the position with your insurwers. failure to tell them of ANY mods could inavlidate your insurance. Annoying if it's a small claim, a disaster if you have a big'un.

DO look at brakes and handling first.

Also take into account whether or not you could still get the car through an MoT.

markbrooks 14 November 2012 08:37 PM

I no about the insurance. Im not one of these that will do things and not tell them. its not worth it. I no about the brakes i will be doing them soon as i think the rear brakes will need doing for the mot so i may aswell upgrade them. What are good mods for handling.

daz1968 14 November 2012 10:48 PM

I had a blob wrx and did the stage 1 tune involving an exhaust panel filter and remap, fitted sti front brembos and sti wheels then fitted a white line 22mm rear rollbar, made a good setup for how much it cost, never took it any further as then changed it for a jdm sti. I didn't see the point in pushing the wrx any further as insurance for me was cheaper to change the car.