ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Land Rover Evoque (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/955849-land-rover-evoque.html)

stilover 12 November 2012 12:49 PM

Land Rover Evoque

Had a test drive of a SD4 at the weekend. Must say, I was very impressed. Interior quality was good, and the ride and handling was most pleasing. Engine, although not hugely powerful (188bhp) was strong enough, and is was quiet and solid at 100mph.

Only downside is the price. Over £45k for a decent specced Dynamic model.

Anyone got one?

SPEN555 12 November 2012 01:04 PM

I think it was Pistonheads who had one on a long term test. They had to replace one tyre and it cost £320 :eek:

Matteeboy 12 November 2012 01:33 PM

Driven one and also a very similar spec Freelander (SD4 HSE); I got to drive most LRs when our Defender was constantly in for warranty work.

If you want a car-like SUV they are really quite decent and the SD4 unit is pretty sprightly. Handling is pretty good, it's comfy and I didn't do much off roading (I did in the Freelander - oh dear...!) but they appear to be competent.

Downsides are: Everyone has one and the image is a bit iffy, it's like driving inside a tank (rear vis is dire and it's hard to judge the front corners too) and I'd worry constantly about reliability. The list price is a bit mad too - mind you the Freelander was around £40k too and had a fair bit more space but was a lot more "rolly" on road bends. It also didn't like my off road test one bit...

grahamc 12 November 2012 09:05 PM

My missus owns... we use it as a daily car. Have owned for a year in January 2013, done just over 7k miles. Had a couple of minor issues with sensors (door opening and setting off the alarm, headlamp not shutting down properly and running battery flat, seat belt sensor) and had an issue with a clamp on the rear bumper. All fixed under warranty, courtesy car, etc.

Not the best pic:
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a...292800x600.jpg

It now has matte black wheels and some light tinted windows.

What do you want to know? Price is definitely worth it, very nice to drive, so comfortable, quiet and easy to live with, compared to the freelander. I assume it drives like a standard road car (I dont own a standard road car :))

We went for the 3 door, but would probably go for the 5 door next time. Panoramic roof is a MUST!! In summer it is fantastic!

zip106 12 November 2012 10:09 PM

Do they come in any other colour than white?

BOB.T 13 November 2012 12:20 AM

I've seen a pink one...

grahamc 13 November 2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BOB.T (Post 10866613)
I've seen a pink one...

Ive seen Jordans pink one..... :freak3:

P1Fanatic 13 November 2012 12:15 PM

Amazed at how many of these there are on the road and yep nearly all are white. Seems as pointless as an X6 to me.

Infected by sti 13 November 2012 12:19 PM

My brother got a red one

Not a bad bit of kit in all fairness :thumb:

SkullFudge 13 November 2012 12:22 PM

A friend of mine bought a 61K model Range Rover. Had nothing but trouble then the gearbox went at 3000 miles.
Got rid of it and now has a 4x4 Merc. He said it's a total different ball game.

john banks 13 November 2012 12:27 PM

My friend has a new TDV8 Vogue RR and it is a lovely thing, but it has broken down a few times already. This one was a deal because the last one was trouble.

With this quality record, although the Evoque looks nice, I would struggle to justify the price on a four cylinder engine. For my low mileage I'd look for something that had depreciated and had a multicylinder engine.

stilover 13 November 2012 01:04 PM

Hmmm, few worries about reliability here.

I have a 170TDI Tiguan as my daily driver, so was thinking about the Evoque. The Tiguan has been faultless.

I'll review next year.

Matteeboy 13 November 2012 02:44 PM

I'm rather taken with those Tiguans. Same 4 motion system as our van but better clearance. Would get one over an Evoque.

The Trooper 1815 13 November 2012 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 10867037)
I'm rather taken with those Tiguans. Same 4 motion system as our van but better clearance. Would get one over an Evoque.

+1. Had one on hire for a few months, sad to say it was faultless and the Parking Assist was a scream.

gpssti4 20 November 2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by grahamc (Post 10866709)
Ive seen Jordans pink one..... :freak3:

we've all seen her pinkone, or do you mean her car?

On another note. My friend is developing these at the moment - contracts to Landrover. I believe that he's currently working on the cruise control system. He rates them highly (but he does drive a base Focus!)

DT-SPD 20 November 2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 10875483)
On another note. My friend is developing these at the moment - contracts to Landrover. I believe that he's currently working on the cruise control system. He rates them highly (but he does drive a base Focus!)

:) Small world isnt it. I'm working at JLR too on the same project :)

grahamc 20 November 2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 10875483)
we've all seen her pinkone, or do you mean her car?

her matte pink evoque

Dave Thornton 20 November 2012 10:32 PM

The Evoque is an excellent car, there's few doubting that. But the more popular it becomes, the less exclusive it becomes. And when the Porsche Macan comes out, the Evoque will be so last year. Give it 2 years and the RR and Porsche brands will be somewhat diluted.

nik52wrx 21 November 2012 08:01 AM

Christ, has she ruined an evoque as well as her full fat range rover :brickwall

Nik

Originally Posted by grahamc (Post 10876516)
her matte pink evoque

grahamc 21 November 2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton (Post 10876580)
The Evoque is an excellent car, there's few doubting that. But the more popular it becomes, the less exclusive it becomes. And when the Porsche Macan comes out, the Evoque will be so last year. Give it 2 years and the RR and Porsche brands will be somewhat diluted.

RRs sales strategy is very disappointing with this car! They have a base model, which is FWD and rubbish interior which is aimed at sales reps. This just dilutes the brand.... its such a shame as its a great car and should remain exclusive.

Missus has top spec one and even we struggle to see the differences when bottom of the range goes by. If I am paying for top spec, there shouldnt be anything that looks similar on the road.... but a lot of car manufacturers do this.

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 10876804)
Christ, has she ruined an evoque as well as her full fat range rover :brickwall

Nik

sadly :(

Daryl 21 November 2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by grahamc (Post 10876941)
They have a base model, which is FWD and rubbish interior which is aimed at sales reps. This just dilutes the brand.... its such a shame as its a great car and should remain exclusive.

Missus has top spec one and even we struggle to see the differences when bottom of the range goes by. If I am paying for top spec, there shouldnt be anything that looks similar on the road.... but a lot of car manufacturers do this.

sadly :(

What a load of rubbish! For a start, the base model doesn't have a rubbish interior, but why shouldn't they make the cheaper models look great. Your post makes you sound like a right snob - like you want everybody to know how much you spent!

gpssti4 23 November 2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DT-SPD (Post 10875992)
:) Small world isnt it. I'm working at JLR too on the same project :)

Small world indeed. Say hi to Gaz when you see him. Or, what's your name I'm out for a beer with him tonight.

hodgy0_2 23 November 2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 10877103)
What a load of rubbish! For a start, the base model doesn't have a rubbish interior, but why shouldn't they make the cheaper models look great. Your post makes you sound like a right snob - like you want everybody to know how much you spent!

do you remember the hissy fit 911 drivers had when the Boxster came out

complaining it looked the same from some angles, and they had to pay twice as much (and on and on and on)

really, is that what worries you in life

as ever great cars with dull people driving them

ScoobySteve69 23 November 2012 10:09 AM

Horrible looking `car` designed by an equally horrible looking person IMO.

neilied 26 November 2012 10:38 AM

there are 2 kahn models on my local garages forecourt. a metallic burnt orange and a white one. 3 and 5 door but silly price tags. They are sitting next to a mountain of bentley and a 2 lambos. helps to up the price

Matteeboy 26 November 2012 10:59 AM

Anything Kahn makes me weep.

Not only ultra tacky but also badly made. Spot any Kahn ruined RR and look at the rims; I can virtually guarantee (unless brand new) they'll look shoddy and not just from the goon owners kerbing them.

Overpriced tat made of cheese.

jameswrx 26 November 2012 07:33 PM

These are just the new RR sports to me! To be found outside every third 4 bed house on a modern housing estate.

Can't imagine dumping £45k on one, sheesh.

mrmadcap 26 November 2012 07:42 PM

The fact that Victoria Beckham was supposed to have had a hand in the design turns me right off.

I mean, come on, it's the equivalent of me designing a handbag, can you imagine it:

The Gucci wag swag bag by mrmadcap.

Devildog 28 November 2012 12:24 PM

I'd have one - in fact we nearly did, but:

List price is just a starting point - looking at nearly 40k for decent spec
Boot is tiny - absolutely hopeless for now 3 dogs and horse kit
Towing capacity is bizarrely less than the Freelander
You can get a Discovery for pretty much the same money if you spec one carefully, and I've never been one for style over substance.

So, the Shogun has been perfect over the years and with Disco reliability still a fecking issue (my mates brand new one has been back for warranty items including a stranding him in he middle of no where break down) I'll probably go for another Shogun - LWB this time, or Like Mattee a Defender - with a lift kit.

If the Evoque had a bigger boot, I'd probably have one right now. Yes, in white, but with a matt wrap.

Daryl 28 November 2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Horrible looking `car` designed by an equally horrible looking person IMO.

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
The fact that Victoria Beckham was supposed to have had a hand in the design turns me right off.

She had nothing to do with the design of the Evoque, she merely worked with LR on a limited edition.

But in good old Scoobynet fashion, don't let the truth get in the way of your poorly informed opinions!