ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Price comparison sites.. quotes legit? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/954947-price-comparison-sites-quotes-legit.html)

Chicken Breast 03 November 2012 09:34 PM

Price comparison sites.. quotes legit?

Potentially buying an 02 bug wrx... Bit of background, I'm 22, 3yrs ncb and currently insured by adrian flux with a heavily modified celica. AF quoted me 3500, greenlight didn't even bother ringing me back lol but confused.com were able to get me 1500 :confused: Bearing in mind I paid 1700 not too long ago to insure a skoda felicia I'll happily pay this. But is it legit? I read on here somewhere they'll quote me that online, then when I call to confirm they'll move the goalposts so to speak and quote more.
I'm hoping to go see the car tomorrow, and with insurance places shut til Monday I don't wanna fall in love tomorrow only to ring up and find I can't insure it.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Cheers.

CharlySkunkWeed 03 November 2012 09:40 PM

had 3 different quotes off the same company ! two comparison sites and actually phoned them , all completley different amounts.

I would use the sites as a rough guide , but a phone call is the best bet .

Chicken Breast 03 November 2012 10:07 PM

Were they all roughly the same price though? As in it didn't jump up a couple hundred when you rang them? That's all I'm worried about really.

CharlySkunkWeed 03 November 2012 10:18 PM

No mate , about 50quid difference. Id be more worried if they back tracked when you actually tried to buy the policy.

Moley 03 November 2012 10:58 PM

A guy on here was quoted £900 online, so bought the car.
Went to set the policy up and the final price was £2700

About 90% of people who ring us and say "i've had a cheaper price on the internet" end up ringing us up saying the price changed when they went to pay for it.

I'm sure some are probably ok.... just check before buying the car.

Chicken Breast 04 November 2012 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 10855744)

About 90% of people who ring us and say "i've had a cheaper price on the internet" end up ringing us up saying the price changed when they went to pay for it.

I don't even... How is such a thing possible? How do they justify that?

SRSport 04 November 2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 10855744)

I thought that you could save quotes and that they would be valid for 7 - 14 days. I check comparison website a week before insurance is due, save the cheapest and get that one the day before.

Moley 05 November 2012 10:07 AM

I have no idea why the prices change, i don't deal with those companies at all.

All i know is lots of people come back to us saying the prices increased when they tried to pay for them.

mickywrx 05 November 2012 08:43 PM

For a laugh, I always check the comparison sites when my renewal is approaching.

Best quote I got a couple of years ago was £9.99 or something through Kwik Fit. I was gutted that it wouldn't let me pay. :( Doubt even Gary could match that. ;)

Most recent time I checked,

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...ancequotes.jpg

Cheapest price is 3 times more than what I pay, and they are for TPFT, not fully comp.

scooby noob 05 November 2012 08:57 PM

Insurance is mental these day's. I was quoted about £700 for mine by numerous companies. I ended up using a comparison site ( don't remember which one ) and it was £200 cheaper :cuckoo: from the same company that quoted me £700 on another comparison site. :wonder: Dazed and confused i took out the policy before anyone realized they had ballsed up. I'm 32 and had 8 years no claims ended up paying £550 from admiral (fully comp):thumb:

JonMc 05 November 2012 09:00 PM

I use price comparison sites as a benchmark for the wife's car and home insurance, never for the scoob, but whenever I go to buy the actual price is always dearer once I've gone to the insurers website, usually do to extras such as legal protection or IPT:eek: