ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bhp difference tmic & fmic? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/954531-bhp-difference-tmic-and-fmic.html)

lofty35 30 October 2012 08:28 PM

Bhp difference tmic & fmic?

This is gonna be my set up nxt year, just want to know how much extra bhp will be added if i fit a fmic?
Scooby uk turbo 2000 , 2001 plate
Vf34/35 or 28
Decat
K & N panel filter
440s
Walbro pump
3 port boost
Sti tmic or fmic
Map by JGM
What bhp can i expect?
Best turbo?
Cheers guys

scoobaru mad 30 October 2012 08:58 PM

At an educated guess (depending on engine condition an boost levels) I'd say between 320 to 330bhp area, maybe a little more

As for turbo option? It's a bit a personal preference really, duty cycles can be altered for early or later spool, nor here or there really. But the characteristics of turbos on the scoobys are different. Example.

VF35 have quiet a good spool up rate, and have plenty of mid to up range torque. Power comes in from 3k (ish) very smooth an linear right up the rev range.

We're as the TD05H, has nothing nothing nothing WHOLLOP!!! :notworthy an has you feeling the pattern work of the seat in the back of your head :lol1: it's my personal favourite :D

The VF series are good smooth turbos with good spool rates, but the TD's depending on size are abit tougher (better for anti lag sort of thing:luxhello:)
But are abit laggier.

It's personal preference matey. Good luck with the build :thumb:

nyscooby 30 October 2012 09:50 PM

Top mount.....

GoML-STi 30 October 2012 09:56 PM

You don't need a front mount intercooler unless your aiming for over 400bhp. nyscooby has a topmount running 400bhp but he is a bit strange.

nyscooby 30 October 2012 09:58 PM

Yeah... pick up is quick though..

but its coming off... got a hybrid kit here to go on.

Sub 400 TMIC... all day long.

bustaMOVEs 30 October 2012 10:02 PM

Op, with mods you have listed there's no need for fmic, and you may want to change injectors to 550s
Best turbo out of the 3, vf34 but IMO.
And should see 330+

GoML-STi 30 October 2012 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10850055)
Yeah... pick up is quick though..

but its coming off... got a hybrid kit here to go on.

Sub 400 TMIC... all day long.

No comment lol

MattyB1983 30 October 2012 10:06 PM

No 'need' for FMIC but by adding one it will increase bhp slightly.

GoML-STi 30 October 2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10850065)
Op, with mods you have listed there's no need for tmic, and you may want to change injectors to 550s

Did you mean fmic or did you mean no need to upgrade his tmic to an sti version ???

MattyB1983 30 October 2012 10:10 PM

If you don't want to go with a FMIC then fitting a newage top mount is a good bet.

L.J.F 30 October 2012 10:11 PM

Just fit a newage sti tmic and job done:) I might be selling mine after the new year along with all the custom brackets and custom under tray as I plan on going Lateral 1 piece kit.

lofty35 30 October 2012 10:35 PM

Cheers guys - is sti newage tmic easy to fit?
Whats td05 max bhp?

Tidgy 30 October 2012 10:43 PM

not sure where folks are getting figures from but test show 300 and up you see improvments in going front mount. If you look at the areo of the car then you realise just how bad the idea was due to air ballooning over the scoop, also heat soak becomes an issue once you start to get up above 300.

go front mount anytime you go bigger than TD04.

lofty35 30 October 2012 10:54 PM

So fmic then?

Tidgy 30 October 2012 11:08 PM

yep, definatly, anything else is a compramise. Also at that sort of tune i'd recomend keeping an eye on oil temps. mine suffered heavily from them till i went downt he oil cooler route.

o mines very similar spec, uk turbo with a vf34, front mount etc etc

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ly27-10-07.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ls27-10-07.jpg

Shaun 30 October 2012 11:13 PM

WTF is going on those "inlet probe in a cuppa tea" readings! :eek:

wrxyz 30 October 2012 11:15 PM

Talk to your mapper... go with what he suggests... I am fitting almost exactly your spec next week. With a TD05H.
Was def' recommended not to fit a front mount. There are gains to be had with a front mount anything over 300BHP, but...... most feel that the gains are not worth the lag that you can get with the front mount.
I wont be looking at one... in fact the front mount i got will be for sale or it will sit in the shed !!

johnfelstead 30 October 2012 11:22 PM

460BHP, 490Lbft on my TMIC. There is a huge amount of nonsense talked about the airflow through the Top Mounts, they work just fine at high speed.

bustaMOVEs 30 October 2012 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by GoML-STi (Post 10850077)
Did you mean fmic or did you mean no need to upgrade his tmic to an sti version ???

Sorry yeah fmic :brickwall lol I'll edit cheers

lofty35 30 October 2012 11:50 PM

Mmmm??
Think i will just ask simon @(JGM)

bustaMOVEs 30 October 2012 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10850213)
yep, definatly, anything else is a compramise. Also at that sort of tune i'd recomend keeping an eye on oil temps. mine suffered heavily from them till i went downt he oil cooler route.

o mines very similar spec, uk turbo with a vf34, front mount etc etc

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ly27-10-07.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ls27-10-07.jpg

Tidy them figures can be achieved on tmic and more, it's not worth the small bhp increase in terms of cost and fitting one, going above 400 then yes it's justifiable, I know a guy who's running 490 on tmic just to be diffrent.
If the op ports his headers and uses a Harvey trick up pipe, probably see more hp than yours.:thumb:
It all accounts on engine and turbo condition also.

bustaMOVEs 30 October 2012 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 10850234)
460BHP, 490Lbft on my TMIC. There is a huge amount of nonsense talked about the airflow through the Top Mounts, they work just fine at high speed.

Tell him about bez's if you know him:wonder:

MattyB1983 31 October 2012 12:14 AM

It's horses for courses, a newage STI top mount is a great bit of kit and will happily run to 400 and as above, well beyond.
With a front mount you will see a small power increase and a good mapper can rid you of any lag caused by going front mount.

At your level I'd go with a top mount personally.

nyscooby 31 October 2012 07:54 AM

Mappers wont rid you of lag at all. if your turbo isnt suited to a FM.. you will get lag.

I had a VF43 with a FM... horrible lag, late boost curve. Swapped for a TM... problem gone.

Suit your parts to each other... do speak to a repytable mapper...

And dont just go off what you read... some times trial and error... or R&D is required.

MattyB1983 31 October 2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10850531)
Mappers wont rid you of lag at all. if your turbo isnt suited to a FM.. you will get lag.

I had a VF43 with a FM... horrible lag, late boost curve. Swapped for a TM... problem gone.

Suit your parts to each other... do speak to a repytable mapper...

And dont just go off what you read... some times trial and error... or R&D is required.

Who mapped your car ??

nyscooby 31 October 2012 08:40 AM

When i bought it several months ago, with the equipment fitted... not sure who had mapped it.

Since i bought it, changing parts and upgrading, been mapped by Bob Rawle.

Issues listed above (with VF43 and FM) where with car when i bought it... issue now rectified.

MattyB1983 31 October 2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10850554)
When i bought it several months ago, with the equipment fitted... not sure who had mapped it.

Since i bought it, changing parts and upgrading, been mapped by Bob Rawle.

Issues listed above (with VF43 and FM) where with car when i bought it... issue now rectified.

Could the original map not have something to do with it ?
I'm not saying a FMIC won't produce any more lag but mapped properly by one of the best can bring it to an unnoticeable level. Combine that with the small bhp increase you'll get and in many cases its worth it.

Tidgy 31 October 2012 09:29 AM

any noticeable front mount lag is a setup issue and nothing more, search on here there's threads all over about it, with the usual myths spread aroudn that get debunked by proper test results.

Figures can be achieved with top mounts, but they suffer from lower top end performance and then you have to be careful how you drive, on a hot day if you get stuck in traffic it will be totally heat soaked, also have a look at the airflow that gets kicked up by the front of the car, the top inch of the scoop is the only thing that actually pulls in air once the car is moving.

cost wise there not huge amount of difference in cost, considering how much else is being done at the same time.

Tis up to you in the end, you takes your choice you pays your money, but i know which way i would go.

Tidgy 31 October 2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10850223)
WTF is going on those "inlet probe in a cuppa tea" readings! :eek:

dunno mate, hadn't noticed it tbh

month later very similar result but IT down at 23.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ods/wheels.jpg

Tidgy 31 October 2012 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 10850288)
Tidy them figures can be achieved on tmic and more, it's not worth the small bhp increase in terms of cost and fitting one, going above 400 then yes it's justifiable, I know a guy who's running 490 on tmic just to be diffrent.
If the op ports his headers and uses a Harvey trick up pipe, probably see more hp than yours.:thumb:
It all accounts on engine and turbo condition also.

then i could do the same to mine and up it even more, i'm still running standard 440's and standard headers :D