ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Going to view a type r v6 limited tomorrow,anything to look out for? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/954517-going-to-view-a-type-r-v6-limited-tomorrow-anything-to-look-out-for.html)

Chocador 30 October 2012 06:51 PM

Going to view a type r v6 limited tomorrow,anything to look out for?

as title,I have placed a deposit on a v6 type r limited import.
It's quite away from me and I'm wondering apart from checking the I.d etc what else should I look/listen out for?
It's a reputable seller selling it but it's my 1st Subaru so I'm new to them.
Any info is much appreciated,thanks,lee

d4vidh 30 October 2012 06:55 PM

Why have you put a deposit on a car you haven't seen in the flesh yet?

blackvenom 30 October 2012 07:18 PM

There are a lot of good subarus about at the moment, so if your not 100%sure don't get it. I would suggest taking a mate or get a AA inspection, they check about 140 different points. Any noises walk away. Take a light to check all under the car, Expect a few wear marks but look out to see of the clocks have been lowered when it's been converted from kmh to mph

RobsyUK 30 October 2012 07:34 PM

Make sure all the lights on the dash come on when first turning the key. I hear some garages are taking bulbs out so you can't see the engine light on!

craigo 30 October 2012 08:08 PM

Intending having it mapped sometime soon ? Does it have any mods ?

N_Scooby 30 October 2012 08:17 PM

Put your foot on the clutch or it won't start!

MattyB1983 30 October 2012 10:17 PM

DO NOT GET THE AA TO CHECK IT OUT.
They really are a joke, if you went by what they say you would never buy a car. I've actually asked them to leave before because of the rediculous faults they were finding on a 30 year old car I was selling.

Max (hurst cars) is a decent chap and unlike most dealers isn't out to rob you.
-Check the sills and rear arches for rust.
-check gearbox is smooth with no crunches
-engine sounds good on cold start, but remember they aren't the quietest engines out there but listen for any deep knocking. A slight tap is normal but should go when hot.
-make sure it pulls well with no smoke.

To be honest it's just the normal common sense things that you'd check when buying any performance car.

Chocador 31 October 2012 10:18 PM

Picked it up and did the 520 mile drive home no problem,except my ears are bleeding and I need to get the speedo converted,that and remove the choice 'mods' some tasteless person has put on it.
But mechanically it's spot on,pulls like a train,no tapping,knocking,blue smoke,rattles etc,exhaust knocks a little but that's prob coming off.
Bodywork is near perfect bar a couple of car park dents,no repairs,rust or evidence of any paintwork,the things I don't like are cosmetic.
Need a type r bumper,grille and scoop,I might have some lights lined up.
Oh and an alarm and tyres but other than that I'm really chuffed with it!!

Chocador 31 October 2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by N_Scooby (Post 10849843)
Put your foot on the clutch or it won't start!

That was my first mistake ha ha!

MattyB1983 31 October 2012 10:27 PM

Great news, well done buddy.

gpssti4 01 November 2012 05:11 AM

Pictures please.

ditchmyster 01 November 2012 09:23 AM

If it's got a big scoop, dv or lexarse lights walk away.:lol1:

Just kidding buddy, max seems to have a good rep so far, so hopefully you'll be ok.

Presumably it's been remapped to run uk fuel.

That 22b front bumper is only worth about £20 quid so i'll give you that plus postage when you get rid.:D

Good luck with it,take your time to get to know the car, and keep your right foot in, lift off oversteer is a fcuker.:thumb:

averyp2 01 November 2012 10:21 AM

Assuming there are no major mods you should be fine running on Tesco 99 or Shell V Power - for peace of mind i would always get my mapper to have a check of the AFR. If you have a bit of spare change then a remap is obviously the safest and you get the most out of the motor. Assuming you are in Scotland then Andy Forrest would be a good place to start.

The front bumper is personal preferance, you will probably be able to sell yours for near on what you could get a facelift classic bumper for. I personally have a similar bumper (with seperate grill) and i like it, but then it was there when i bought it.

If its not been undersealed then do that asap, the imports do not come undersealed and it wont take long for the UK salty roads to eat through your rear arches! Messy but cheap job, fixing rusty rear arches is not a cheap job.

Get some pics up ;-)

Paul

Chocador 03 November 2012 10:13 AM

Someone will seriously buy that bumper from me???
Tbh I was going to stick it on eBay and hope for about £50!
I have sourced a complete jdm v6 front bumper,grille,v6 headlights,sidelights and sti rear lights,p1 scoop and vents and can get a complete standard sit exhaust but I'm not worried about that yet,want to get it's looks sorted first.
It's going in for a full cat 1 alarm on Monday,4 tyres are being ordered Monday as the tyres on it are on the limit,bought the speedo conversion chip last night.
After that lot is done I'll get it undersealed and the map checked,tbh I should have waited for 1 that didn't need so much work and money spent on it to get it looking like it should but least once it's done I'll know what I have and it should be spot on.
Pics to follow next week as I'm on nightshift till Monday :(

MattyB1983 03 November 2012 10:23 AM

Your doing it in the wrong order, the most important thing is how the car drives not how it looks. Get the car on a dyno and checked over so you know everything is sweet, failure could cost quite a bit more than a bumper and a few trims.

Chocador 03 November 2012 06:36 PM

I already drove it 520 miles in 1 day no problem and it's not going to be an everyday car or getting used much anytime soon so I'm not too worried about it melting till I get time to get it looked at,it's been in the uk getting used since march and it was checked over by tracktive back then.
I'm collecting what I can while it's available and when springtime comes round I'll have time to use it andbitvwill look/drive as it should.
Been told to go to andy forest by a few folk now,will give him a shout!