ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Help ! Screeching through exhaust MY02 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/95372-help-screeching-through-exhaust-my02.html)

Yorkie 12 May 2002 08:02 PM

Noticed this today with drivers door open. Car idling, blip throttle to 2000 rpm, lift off accelerator and at just before idle revs there is a loud squeek/screech from exhaust at the rear :eek:. Tried moving exhaust pipe manually to see if its a loose housing or something but can't hear anything. Only seems to do it when engine warmed through. Any ideas ?

Yorkie

Yorkie 12 May 2002 08:23 PM

All I wan't to know is does this warrent a visit to the dealer ?

WRXBOB 12 May 2002 09:06 PM

what it DOES warrant is a visit to TSL for a new back box ;)

Sorry I can't offer any constructive advice!

BOB :D

Yorkie 12 May 2002 09:06 PM

Perhaps I should have put MY01 in the title :rolleyes: Not that there is any difference in the mechanical specification. 20 views and no repies. Oh well......

Yorkie 12 May 2002 09:08 PM

Hi Bob, just seen your reply. You might be right there M8. Will that invalidate my warrenty though ?

Yorkie

Harry_Boy 12 May 2002 09:09 PM

Hi Yorkie - is it from the engine (amplified by the exhaust), or from the exhaust mounting itself?

Bob - trust you to plug a Trouser-like solution ;0)

WRXBOB 12 May 2002 09:13 PM

Hi M8,
I would imagine it could effect warrenty.
My CEL has been illuminated for a while now, I'm putting off visiting the dealer to have it checked out untill I get around to refitting the oem back box just in case they try to say its caused it. Car drives just fine with the CEL on so I'm in no rush.
Good luck with your problem :)

BOB

Yorkie 12 May 2002 09:17 PM

I am hoping its nothing serious like your problem Bob. Can the exhaust amplify sounds from the engine like Harry says :eek:

Harry_Boy 12 May 2002 09:24 PM

My guess is that it's either a slight adjustment needed on the exhaust hangers, or could possibly be the noise of the wastegate or bypass??

Yorkie 12 May 2002 09:32 PM

I wondered if it was the wastegate Harry. To be honest I tried the car again tonight after it had been stood and it had stopped doing it, so it seems to be only when engine is hot. Performance isn't affected in any way. It just sounded like a starling had nested in the back box and was protesting :D

Yorkie

Harry_Boy 12 May 2002 09:43 PM

When mine was brand new (driving home from the ferry!), I heard a 'fluttering' noise at about 2,500 rpm in fifth (yup, taking it easy...). I took this to be the wastegate, and after a few miles it gave up (presumably coated the exhaust a bit).

I'd be inclined to monitor it Mate and see what happens in a few hundred miles (not that I'd expect it to blow up or anything!).

As the Ford dealer once told me when the Ka that we used to have developed a rattling from every suspension strut - It's a characteristic Sir, not a fault. Didn't believe him of course.... But, Scoobys are made of sterner stuff!

WRXBOB 12 May 2002 09:51 PM

What sort of mileage?
Have U tried giving it a good thrashing? Might not work but its fun to do ;)

Try & get someone to blip the throttle for U while U go round the car to see if U can locate it. It's possible that the sound is travelling down the exhaust from the engine.

Other than that try turning up the stereo...but not too much or you'll realise how crap the oem stereo is!

Yorkie 12 May 2002 09:57 PM

Yeah, thanks Harry, I'll keep my ears open (and the door ! Can only hear it with the window down or door open :rolleyes:)
Still, it pays to be vigilant.

Yorkie

Yorkie 12 May 2002 10:01 PM

Bob, I had just returned from a good "thrashing" over the Derbyshire moors when I noticed this sound. It may have been there before, just not noticed it. Got my Brother to blip throttle while I had a listen. Sound appeared to be from back box area. Difficult to say whether it was travelling down the pipe.

Yes, I have already noticed that the OEM stereo is cr@p, but I expected that after what I had read in Autocar in October 2000:D
Good job the engine has a terrific soundtrack :D

Yorkie

Harry_Boy 12 May 2002 10:12 PM

Maybe add to the bass mix with a SS back box Yorkie??

WRXBOB 12 May 2002 10:14 PM

I now prefer to listen to my TSL back box than the stereo :D

1st)Try cupping your hands over the tailpipes and see if it muffles / alters the noise at all (don't burn your hands!) This will tell you if the noise is coming thro' the exhaust.

2nd)Take a long(ish) screwdriver and put the blade end against the bb, then put the handle end tight against your ear.If U can hear it through the screwdriver then the noise is coming along the metal work of the exhaust. It could be one of the thin metal shields/covers on the exhaust resonating.

3rd) Check to see if you have any leaks on the exhaust. Could the noise be like a whistling noise as exhaust gases escape?

4th) Go down the pub(leaving car at home) and discuss it with your mates. After a few pints U won't be bothered about it anymore!

BOB...Attempting to offer some sort of help!

Active 12 May 2002 10:23 PM

Bob YHM Bob W (active)

Yorkie 13 May 2002 07:16 PM

WRXBOB

Thanks for that info mate, I'll try that at the weekend: good tips:) (especially the pub one:D)

Yorkie

scoobyskid 13 May 2002 08:12 PM

I suggest you try shining a torch up the pipe(s) & look for any obstructions. There used to be a device you could purchase from a joke shop which you could stick up an exhaust. This would make it whistle/screech! It drove my brother mad, mind you, he had the last laugh since it was a bugger to remove. Here's a pic..

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/galle...3219191320.jpg

[Edited by scoobyskid - 5/13/2002 9:20:59 PM]

Mick 13 May 2002 09:03 PM

Get the exhaust hangers checked, also another mechanical fault possible on Scooby 'classic' exhaust would be the spring loaded ball joint. possible springs moving in cups or a problem with the sealing ring. (not sure if it is the same method of decoupling on bug-eye or not :rolleyes: :D )

Cheers

Mick

Yorkie 14 May 2002 08:11 PM

Thanks, it doesn't whistle like a kettle and only does is for the last 250 - 500 rpm before idle speed when blipping the throttle when at a standstill :confused:

This one has me totally baffled. Surely if something was loose/broke/leaking it would be their at higher revs ?

Yorkie

Mick 14 May 2002 08:26 PM

Nope! :eek: Depends on resonant frequency of loose or broken component!

BUT with a brand new car if you can demonstrate it easily it should not be too much to ask of a dealer to sort it out. The main problem ones are where the fault is not consistent.

Hope it gets removed :D

Mick

Yorkie 14 May 2002 08:36 PM

Thanks Mick. It looks like a trip to the dealer at the weekend [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Yorkie

WRXBOB 05 December 2002 10:27 PM

Bob W,not got any mail from U...well not at the time of posting this!
BOB B

PS. Hows the bruises?

[Edited by WRXBOB - 5/12/2002 10:28:47 PM]