ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best Method for Bursting Blood Blister Under Nail (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/953486-best-method-for-bursting-blood-blister-under-nail.html)

GlesgaKiss 21 October 2012 11:52 AM

Best Method for Bursting Blood Blister Under Nail

I've heard a several methods so far: a hot needle, a drill, digging away slowly with a stanley blade... and since I'm stalling for time, I'd appreciate all your opinions on the most painless method. :D

I've got two. One on both hands. But only one of them will stop me working, as I can't put any pressure on it at all. This has to be done before tomorrow, which rules out going to the docs, if that's a possibility.

pimmo2000 21 October 2012 11:54 AM

Busterbulldog 21 October 2012 11:55 AM

warm a pin ,thick end with a lighter then melt nail,it doesnt hurt,but the pressure release stops pain instantly if its a good one.the doctors use a battery version /element

the shreksta 21 October 2012 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
not sure im the best person to answer nail questions as my nail care resulted in this.................

Attachment 57144

Busterbulldog 21 October 2012 11:58 AM

ewwwwwwwwwwww

Lisawrx 21 October 2012 11:59 AM

I know it would eat into your day, but is it not possible just to go to A&E so somebody can do it properly?

I had a similar potential problem with my toenail recently, and the nurse (at GP surgery) said, if it hadn't bled so much at the time of injury, I would've had to go to the hospital.

Maz 21 October 2012 12:00 PM

Sterilised syringe needle under the nail seems the obvious solution. If the blood has not coagulated you may be able to remove it with a syringe.

GlesgaKiss 21 October 2012 12:25 PM

This happened on Friday afternoon, so I fear it might be too late to do anything about it. Really don't want to go to A&E for a checked finger. It's not really any kind of emergency at all. More of a thing a doctor could do in an appointment.

I might just end up leaving it. One thing I didn't think about was an infection. Knowing my luck, I'd get one.

jameswrx 21 October 2012 12:25 PM

Funnily enough I just did this the other day myself. I Squashed my finger between a gearbox and engine doing a clutch change and it actually burst my finger and made a mess of my nail. I made a hole in my nail the other day and squeezed out the blood, couldn't get my mrs to watch but did video it for her at a later date!

Another ruined nail growing now for me, that'll be my third. My thumb is split down the middle, ring finger split down the side and now my middle finger is next. Whenevr I damage them they grow weird.

Turbohot 21 October 2012 12:26 PM

Alan, get it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Don't be quacking with your DIY. He/she will charge you 45 quid, but will know what he/she is doing.

I have a corn under my right foot's big toe nail. Most injuries heal with time, but some continue to throb with pain forever. Anyway, I go to my chiro when it starts to trouble me again. He files the nail carefully and reduces the corn size with right tools.

I understand you have a blister under your nail, which you think your DIY will sort it. Well, I don't know. Don't faff about with it yourself or you'll end up with a case like Shreska's.

David Lock 21 October 2012 12:34 PM

I have always used a paperclip and ciggy lighter. You get the picture. I have always assumed the heat sterilised the end of the clip. Just smile and do it. Should save the nail as well.

dl

Turbohot 21 October 2012 12:37 PM

Just don't do it in front of the weak-hearted. I could never see the process taking place with my bare eyes, meself. Jeez! :cry:

the shreksta 21 October 2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10837317)
Just don't do it in front of the weak-hearted. I could never see the process taking place with my bare eyes, meself. Jeez! :cry:

you wouldnt have liked it when they were removing my toenail then when the scalpel was pushed under the nail to slice the flesh-i watched it but nearly barfed

Busterbulldog 21 October 2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10837323)
you wouldnt have liked it when they were removing my toenail then when the scalpel was pushed under the nail to slice the flesh-i watched it but nearly barfed

Did you learn your lesson and invest in better footwear tho? I dropped a cast iron soil pipe on my foot in trainers years ago,same result as you....I never work in trainers no more...good solid boots at @ times now

the shreksta 21 October 2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog (Post 10837331)
Did you learn your lesson and invest in better footwear tho? I dropped a cast iron soil pipe on my foot in trainers years ago,same result as you....I never work in trainers no more...good solid boots at @ times now

nah mate mine were ingrown nails due to poor fitting shoes (im a size 18 shoe so really struggle) they were ingrowing for 15+ years and i used a commando type knife to dig them out resulting in spikes of nails growing almost thru the bottom of my toes (both big toe nails were removed on the same day) then they got infected and this yellow/green paste was oozing from one of them-it was a cat hair causing the infection i had to have 6 weeks off work and salty foot baths 3 times a day,because of my foot size i couldnt use a bowl so i used a header tank from a plumbers merchants :thumb:

i now have 2 more ingrowing toe nails (the next toe along) currently waiting for removal

Terminator X 21 October 2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10837336)
(im a size 18 shoe so really struggle)

Wtf :eek:

TX.

the shreksta 21 October 2012 12:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10837340)

TX.

big lad matey :thumb:

here it is infected matey

Attachment 57145

my air max next to my mrs size 8

Attachment 57146

Maz 21 October 2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10837340)

TX.

Twenty six stones needs to well supported.:D

chocolate_o_brian 21 October 2012 01:26 PM

Now that's a big man bitch :D

Shreksta, do you buy your shoes from the U.S.? Like the big ass basketball players do with their big ass feet?

the shreksta 21 October 2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10837366)
Now that's a big man bitch :D

Shreksta, do you buy your shoes from the U.S.? Like the big ass basketball players do with their big ass feet?

yes mate,them air max were like $40 plus shipping $20 ish so not bad prices really but it takes around 2-3 weeks

Alg 21 October 2012 01:44 PM

This company supply footwear in larger sizes but as you see, can be a bit expensive:
Qualityshoesforbigmen

The Dogs B******s 21 October 2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alg (Post 10837386)
This company supply footwear in larger sizes but as you see, can be a bit expensive:
Qualityshoesforbigmen

:lol:

chocolate_o_brian 21 October 2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10837378)
yes mate,them air max were like $40 plus shipping $20 ish so not bad prices really but it takes around 2-3 weeks

Don't suppose you could on me where you get them from as I'm a journal size but $60 shipped is a bargain!!

Leslie 21 October 2012 03:06 PM

I think the safest plan is to be patient and let it cure itself. It would be very disappointing if you got an infection from messing about with it.

Les

jameswrx 21 October 2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10837378)

Size of them, they could have stuck a sail on each and chucked them in the Atlantic for you!

:D

Turbohot 21 October 2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10837323)

I would have passed out, mate. http://www.affiliatesdelight.com/sty...fault/thud.gif :(

cster 21 October 2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 10837269)
I know it would eat into your day, but is it not possible just to go to A&E so somebody can do it properly?

I would've had to go to the hospital.

And you'd probably have come out in a box. :lol1:

the shreksta 21 October 2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10837412)
Don't suppose you could on me where you get them from as I'm a journal size but $60 shipped is a bargain!!

i will have a look around matey,it was about 4 years ago i brought them

chocolate_o_brian 21 October 2012 04:52 PM

Cheers :D

RobsyUK 21 October 2012 04:53 PM

Id man up and leave it!