ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   What do you think this could be.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/953408-what-do-you-think-this-could-be.html)

Hopley_WRX 20 October 2012 05:44 PM

What do you think this could be....

Ok, Hi Gents and Ladies, What do you ECU guru's think about this one.
I've got a 2001 WRX completley standard apart from a Cotton Green panel filter and a prodrive backbox. When i drive the car hard in 3rd, 4th when i hit about 13.9 PSI boost, the engine CEL light flashes. It doesn't stay on, just flash for a little bit. Not sure if its related but boost doesn't feel like a smooth curve, it seems to judder abit. It used to have a cheap atmospheric BOV, but i soon took that out and went to standard recirc. What do you think?

JonMc 20 October 2012 05:49 PM

A flashing CEL usually indicates a misfire. Have you had the codes read to see what it is throwing up. Could be plugs, coil packs but without codes it would be difficult to diagnose:wonder:

Hopley_WRX 20 October 2012 05:52 PM

Cheers Pal, Funny you should say that. I've got a reader with 'torque' app on phone, it doesn't show any historic codes......

JonMc 20 October 2012 05:59 PM

Factory map is set for about 0.9 to 1 bar so it's not likely to be overboost, but worth checking the condition of your plugs. Also look for any hairline cracks in the coilpacks - pull the rubber sleeve off and have a good look. Could be the boost is blowing out a 'weak' spark causing a misfire:wonder:

Hopley_WRX 20 October 2012 06:01 PM

What you think then, new plugs, think they could do with doing anyway. Is it an easy job?

JonMc 20 October 2012 06:11 PM

It's fiddly but not difficult. Drivers side you'll need to whip the airbox out and passenger side it's easier if you remove the washer bottle. Worth getting a 2" ratchet extension for your spark plug socket and be prepared to try and squeeze your hand in once the coilpack bolt/spark plugs are loosened - easier to remove by hand if you can get them in there:thumb:

Check the tech archives see if there's a 'how to'

Hopley_WRX 20 October 2012 06:15 PM

You think the plugs will solve the problem? I had a feeling it may be a misfire, when it flashed on CEL. Doesn't feel like it is though. I may take it to a garage to have plugs done, unless someone local to me is willing to help :-) Anyone know which plugs i should get, platinum or irridium?? Confused.com

JonMc 20 October 2012 06:31 PM

Can't guarantee the plugs will fix it but when they only cost a few quid it's worth ruling it out:thumb:

NGK PRF6B are a good bet, you can go for a grade cooler but that's not necessary on a standard car. Personally I'd avoid iridium as I've heard too many stories about tips breaking off, but it's your choice.

Hopley_WRX 20 October 2012 06:45 PM

Ok, when i get round to it, will get them done. Hopefully that will solve the problem :-)

Hopley_WRX 28 October 2012 09:13 PM

Changed the plugs today, didn't take too long. Only an hour and half with 3 of us, including a light holder :-) Quite a straight forward job i must say.

Car feels so much better, a lot more responsive and guess what no CEL light :-) Happy Days!

JonMc 28 October 2012 09:20 PM

As I said, not difficult, just fiddly. Glad you're sorted. Worth checking them when you do an oil change as mine have worked loose in the past, but I am running close to 20PSI

sbn1979 28 October 2012 09:32 PM

is it a standard rom on it or has it been mapped? you may have CEL on knock

Hopley_WRX 28 October 2012 09:35 PM

As above mate, its standard. Its not knock, because as above the CEL doesn't come on anymore since changing the plugs. Cheers for your input though.