ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   new mobile phone without coverage (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/952830-new-mobile-phone-without-coverage.html)

Henrik 14 October 2012 11:21 PM

new mobile phone without coverage

So I picked up a new iphone today, and with it a new contract from Three.

I checked the coverage before buying by using their online coverage checker, and it showed that I'd be able to make and receive calls indoors and outdoors.

Get home, and there's no signal anywhere, even standing outside on the street.

What do you reckon my chances of cancelling are?

Boro 14 October 2012 11:22 PM

Good. Not fit for purpose.

Did you get it from a store or online?

Henrik 14 October 2012 11:31 PM

Bought in store... Will call them tomorrow and see what they say - probably try to wriggle out of it...

Boro 14 October 2012 11:36 PM

Did you tell them you needed it to work at home?

hodgy0_2 14 October 2012 11:42 PM

investment in mobile phone coverage stopped in 1998

in fact they (mobile phone co's) are now reducing it, and selling home boosters to compensate for a lack of investment

you could not make it up!!!!!!

IWatkins 14 October 2012 11:47 PM

Doesn't matter. Not fit for purpose is the phrase you need to use.

Immediate cancel with full refund and no admin fees/restocking fees etc. are your rights.

Even with Vodafone who can offer Picocells, your rights still stand.

Do not take anything less.

(Been here, done that, got Tshirt, twice)

Henrik 15 October 2012 07:03 AM

I didn't specify that it had to work as a phone at home, but then that would be implied anyway, I would hope.

It's encouraging that IWatkins has had success with rejecting phones, so I'm going to go back to the store after work and tell them to take it back, and then I guess it's the small claims court if they don't. If it was 2-300 quid, I wouldn't bother, but it's more than a grand for two years for what looks to be a useless brick at home (I don't have a landline...).

I've had phones with rubbish reception before in other houses, but that's usually been rectified by e.g. standing by a window etc. This I can live with, but *no* signal, not even outside, is a complete joke. It's not even as if I'm out in the sticks.

pimmo2000 15 October 2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 10828921)
Will call them tomorrow .

How ? :lol1:

Henrik 15 October 2012 07:23 AM

office phone ;)

pimmo2000 15 October 2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 10829003)
office phone ;)

I blame Apple .. they got so caught up in making it pretty, they forgot to include an ability to make calls, oh and the maps are basically copies of those treasure maps you get in pubs.

dpb 15 October 2012 07:49 AM

Surely you have to try another phone , without issues, first before rejecting the whole package

Henrik 15 October 2012 07:51 AM

I love the phone itself, but not three.

I can't be arsed to upload the latest rom blah blah etc etc that our technical architect keeps doing in the evenings, seemingly for fun... For me, as a dumb user, the iphone works really well. I just want a camera (ok, *without* the purple haze would have been better) and the ability to do facetime with my mum so she can see her grand-daughter.

Henrik 15 October 2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10829018)
Surely you have to try another phone , without issues, first before rejecting the whole package

the phone works well in other locations.

dpb 15 October 2012 07:53 AM

Actually can you even Swop the sim out to try in another phone

Iv no idea. :Suspiciou

dpb 15 October 2012 07:58 AM

I gather the purple haze is a design feature , due for patenting.

Soon everybody will be copying , much like the panoramic picture capturing. :)

Fleetster 15 October 2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10829021)
Actually can you even Swop the sim out to try in another phone

Iv no idea. :Suspiciou

No the Iphone has the smaller sim, you can get a plastick thing to put round it so it will fit in other phones BUT Id just take it back and get rid!

Twin Fields 15 October 2012 08:19 AM

I had a Three phone once. Gave up on them years ago!

P1Fanatic 15 October 2012 12:43 PM

I just moved to Three after 2-3 years with O2 whose coverage and 3G speeds are woeful. I now get 3G even at home and I I live in a smallish village.

I checked on the ofcom site to see who had masts near me before moving and the provider coverage checkers are rubbish:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

But if its thats bad yes you should still be in a no quibles return period where I doubt they would argue much.

ScoobySteve69 15 October 2012 01:33 PM

Three are sh1t..always have been, prob always will be. I`d still try another phone first as said above, icr@p are not much good for making calls.

Henrik 15 October 2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 10829321)
I just moved to Three after 2-3 years with O2 whose coverage and 3G speeds are woeful. I now get 3G even at home and I I live in a smallish village.

I checked on the ofcom site to see who had masts near me before moving and the provider coverage checkers are rubbish:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

But if its thats bad yes you should still be in a no quibles return period where I doubt they would argue much.

awesome site! Looks like I need vodafone!

P1Fanatic 15 October 2012 03:35 PM

Yeah it helped me out as otherwise would never have guessed that Three have a mast in my village. A few friends have found it handy too when picking new networks.

I also found that Three (and I assume other networks) will send you a test sim to check signal out. Maybe you can ask for one in a Voda store - try before you buy :)

Henrik 15 October 2012 05:04 PM

Err, well I just went to take the phone back, except I thought I'd check first if it was still not working, and now I have decent signal... Not great, but not totally rubbish either - same as t-mobile...

hodgy0_2 15 October 2012 06:25 PM

i find certain atmospheric conditions effect the signal I get

seems much better on clear and sunny days, much worse on cloudy/misty days -- but I could be imagining it