ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   5 door Focus RS (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/952405-5-door-focus-rs.html)

stevie1982 11 October 2012 01:54 PM

5 door Focus RS

now that would be something that could tempt me out of the hatch sti as a 3 door is not the best option for me and put me off the current RS

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26505

350bhp as standard and again possible talks of 4wd,

will keep an eye out on this

Tidgy 11 October 2012 02:18 PM

lol, i doubt they will give it awd, they said they would the last one then it arrived with FWD and power restrictions in lower gears.

The Trooper 1815 11 October 2012 03:00 PM

Saw a new Focus ST Estate the other day, very nice indeed.

zip106 11 October 2012 05:48 PM

5 doors - just wrong.

It should be as lightweight as possible, 3 doors and RWD with slippy diff.
Radio and A/C deleted but no cost option to put back.

It needs to be special like the Mk1, not like the Mk2.

stevie1982 13 October 2012 08:16 PM

Agree tidgy but may be the hand will be forced if the power is going to be hiked even more over the mk2 which suffered from torque steer, so let's hope

The ST is a nice looking car to be fair so hopefully they will hit the nail on the head with the RS

What's wrong with a 5 door mate, suits more people so have a bigger market. One reason I bought the hatch over the rs and I don't even have kids lol.

zip106 13 October 2012 08:29 PM

Sure, 5 door may sell more.

But to my eyes a hardcore sports hatch should look just that - and 5 doors doesn't cut it, IMO.

I had the Mk1 RS and I have two kids - made no difference to me.
Still have two kids and now have an Alpina coupe - no issues with only having two doors with either.

All that said, I doubt very much the new RS will be in the slightest 'hardcore', more's the pity...

Davey96wrx 13 October 2012 08:46 PM

New cars are toss IMO.

Don't rely on it being amazing.

And 5 doors IS wrong for a hardcore hatch FACT, think otherwise and you should probably be driving Volvo..

SRSport 13 October 2012 10:27 PM

The appeal of a hothatch to me is that it is a normal hatch that you can enjoy driving. Take a regular hatch like a Golf, Focus, Astra etc and make it go faster while keeping the general, practical shape, add a few subtle touches and give them special names; R32, ST/RS, VXR. 5 doors makes the hot hatch thing more appealing and even cooler - 'I need a car like this so this is as good as it can get'. If its too out and out sporty then buy a proper 2 door sports car instead.

zip106 13 October 2012 10:30 PM

I agree - but Ford already make a 5 door hot hatch in the ST.

The RS really needs to be hardcore and 3 door.

Preferably with a Cosworth badge on it...

Tidgy 13 October 2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 10827081)
Agree tidgy but may be the hand will be forced if the power is going to be hiked even more over the mk2 which suffered from torque steer, so let's hope

The ST is a nice looking car to be fair so hopefully they will hit the nail on the head with the RS

What's wrong with a 5 door mate, suits more people so have a bigger market. One reason I bought the hatch over the rs and I don't even have kids lol.

i dont think they will care tbh, the cost to develop and awd system will be emense, unless they use one from another manufacturer.

They already did that with the suspension on the other on, despite what they clim lol

CREWJ 14 October 2012 02:41 PM

It's always going to be FWD. Unfortunately.

Frosticles 14 October 2012 06:53 PM

Fingers crossed that they do make it. :thumb: The last one coped well with FWD only so I will assume that the next one will also just be FWD. A 4WD car would be great but I just can't see it TBH.
I loved the MK2 Focus RS, Had one on loan from Ford for the weekend when it was launched. Also "Borrowed" the RS500 as well. :luxhello:
I nearly bought one this year but decided to invest wisely in a MK1 RS2000 instead.
Still think they are wonderful cars. Here's to the next one. :)

trails 15 October 2012 11:57 AM

there is no three door derivative of the new Focus...waste of money for Ford and if it's anything other than FWD I'll eat my hat. If it's anything like the new ST it will be a rewarding drive though.

Truss 15 October 2012 04:57 PM

Its a shame, 5 door hatch's look like hearses(sp?). Like the A3 "sportback".
Stick to 3 door and please make it awd and it'll be a winner!