ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   AS Performance uprated gear linkage bushes - WOW!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/951413-as-performance-uprated-gear-linkage-bushes-wow.html)

frayz 01 October 2012 09:47 PM

AS Performance uprated gear linkage bushes - WOW!!

2 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to post up my experience of a recent modification.

I recently purchased a complete solid gear linkage bush kit from Alyn @ AS Performance.
As usual I got the fantastic next day service I've become used to from ASP.

The kit retails for £60 delivered and contains replacement bushings and crush tubes for every bush in the linkage.
The bushes are CNC machined from solid nylon and are far superior to the standard "gooey" rubber items in the OE linkage.

If you're a competent mechanic these can easily be fitted at home and I did so in under an hour, the old bushes come out and the new items press in with positive effort, the whole lot reassembles using the existing hardware. I added a little copper slip when refitting too.

My car is a 2002 STI version 7 and the OEM 6 speed gear shift felt good but I always thought it was lacking a clean positive engagement it could have.
With the linkage reinstalled I went for a test drive. All I can say is WOW!
My car has been extensively modified over the last 8 years with £££'s of pounds spent on it, and I can honestly say this is one of the single best modifications I've ever done.

There is ZERO slop in the shifter movement both in neutral and in gear. The gear change is solid, precise and feels so much more accurate to use. Also to note is there is no addition NVH in the cabin and no extra vibration to hand.
Its how it should have been from the factory!

The beauty of this is that no matter what power your car is running, or what your use your car for. The improved feel can be enjoyed at ANY speed. No longer do I worry about missing a gear or accidentally selecting the incorrect gear. The linkage is tight and clean.

Honestly, much better than any shift action I have felt on any OEM Subaru.

So good in fact that I felt the need to post about it :D
The kit is available for both the 5 speed and 6 speed Subaru linkages.

Check this at www.asperformance.com

or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/ASPerformanceUK?fref=ts

Cheers
Frayz :thumb:

Attachment 56980
Attachment 56981

Stevesbluewrx 01 October 2012 10:36 PM

Frayz, any chance of have a feel on Sunday?

I'm running a Short shift kit (Think I was the first person in the UK to buy one) from a company in Canada/USA and feels nice but would like to feel the difference if thats OK?

Steve

super_ted 01 October 2012 10:40 PM

Looking good.

JDM_Stig 01 October 2012 10:48 PM

you want to get the rear bush replaced too it takes even more movement out !

frayz 01 October 2012 10:52 PM

Steve, you can always have a feel mate. :D

Stig, the rear bush is only recommended to be changed on vehicles with solid mounted gearboxes as they can sometimes make the linkage too stiff on a car that still allows some movement of the box.

But yes, if I solid mount my box then the rear mount will also be changed.

jura11 01 October 2012 10:59 PM

As above looking good,we are thinking too fit this kit,nice price too

Jura

prodriverules 01 October 2012 11:03 PM

I can also vouch for the bushes,although my box isn't in the car yet I can feel it has no movement in the bushes at all after replacing with alyns bushes.
I will be replacing the rear steady bush with a kart boy item but I have the TRS box mount and poly cross member bushes as well so box movement will be next to nothing.
I agree with you frayz as I was advised the same about doing the rear steady without uprated box mount.

frayz 01 October 2012 11:09 PM

I also have uprated box and cradle mounts Ryan, so the box movement is very very little.

This is just the night and day difference to the linkage and shift feel.
I'd also add that the Kartboy items are a polyurethane.
The ASP items are solid Nylon with ZERO give!

prodriverules 01 October 2012 11:13 PM

Which box mount do you have frayz group N?

JDM_Stig 01 October 2012 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 10811141)
Stig, the rear bush is only recommended to be changed on vehicles with solid mounted gearboxes as they can sometimes make the linkage too stiff on a car that still allows some movement of the box.

But yes, if I solid mount my box then the rear mount will also be changed.

It came as part of the Kit for my 6 speed from GGR so Ive fitted it :thumb:

frayz 01 October 2012 11:27 PM

Actually have a Hardrace item on the box mount with SuperPro cradle bushes and CDF billet pitch stop.

But none of these changed the way the linkage feels. The nylon linkage bushes are what's made the shift so accurate. :)

prodriverules 01 October 2012 11:40 PM

Have you seen the TRS one from SC frayz it's almost a solid mount so not really comparable to the hardrace one,I have the beatrush pitch mount which to be fair is one the best around so I'm hoping damn near all movement will be illiminated when all fitted together!

Osimabu 02 October 2012 06:45 AM

Sorry if I'm being daft, but any chance of a link directly to the parts please. I can't seem to get the one in your original post to work.

Thank you.

stockcar 02 October 2012 08:50 AM

try this.......

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1523135&type=3

frayz 02 October 2012 08:51 AM

Just call Alyn
AS Performance 0191 410 3770

:thumb:

chet123 02 October 2012 09:22 AM

thanks for the feedback Frayz.

Osimabu 02 October 2012 07:22 PM

Thanks for the new link (pun not intended!)

MattyB1983 02 October 2012 07:49 PM

Are the 5 speeds ones the same price ?? (I guess they are)

I don't use tw4tbook so can't see the link.

stockcar 02 October 2012 08:00 PM

they are, although different (if that makes sense)

alyn

alcazar 03 October 2012 05:28 PM

"Can be fitted by a competent mechanic".......

With muscles like Schwarzenegger?
With access to a ramp?

Or really?

frayz 03 October 2012 05:55 PM

Lol,
I'm not a big guy and I don't have a ramp at home. I fitted mine on my driveway on axle stands. The same as I do everything else. Lol.

Joking aside, if you have sockets, spanners a jack and some stands it can be done with little fuss in about an hour. :)

Osimabu 03 October 2012 06:00 PM

Can it all be accessed from underneath or do you have to take some of the trim off inside the car? Sorry if it's a daft question but I've not played about with the gear linkages on an Impreza before (Blob, incidentally).

Thanks for the advice. I've a feeling your chap is about to get a lot of orders.

frayz 03 October 2012 06:52 PM

The inside part requires:-

Unscrewing the gear knob
Tugging the surround upwards to remove and then you can see the shifter bush right in front of you.
The rest is under the car.

Couldn't be simpler :)

53 03 October 2012 08:01 PM

Your posts reek of iPad :p

Knobs, nylon, tight bushes and tugging what's not to get excited about ;)

Osimabu 03 October 2012 08:16 PM

Thanks very much.

frayz 03 October 2012 08:16 PM

Lol. iPhone stu. iPhone :)

SirFozzalot 03 October 2012 08:20 PM

Sounds good Frayz! :cool:

frayz 03 October 2012 08:27 PM

This is one of those ALL GAIN no lose mods Steve. Really recommend it. :)

Stevesbluewrx 03 October 2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 10813470)
This is one of those ALL GAIN no lose mods Steve. Really recommend it. :)

My ex said that after having her tits done. :freak3:

Looking forward to a grope on Sunday. :norty:

Steve

stockcar 05 October 2012 03:05 PM

ooh err missus.....