ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MoT - Rollers for brake test (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/951107-mot-rollers-for-brake-test.html)

Osimabu 29 September 2012 08:07 AM

MoT - Rollers for brake test

I can't find the topic on here, but I'm certain that I read a while ago that it's necessary for our cars to have their brakes tested with rollers under all four wheels rather than just the fronts or rears during the MoT, to avoid potential damage to the differentials and gearbox.

Can anyone confirm if that's correct please, as my (DCCD) 2005MY Blob's MoT is due in a two weeks and my local garage only have the one set of rollers. They seem to think it's okay, but I don't want to find out the hard way that they're wrong.

Thanks for any replies.

gazzawrx 29 September 2012 08:11 AM

They are wrong, for any 4 wheel drive vehicles i test i use the decelerometer and go on road test. Thats the right way to do it :thumb:

You cant put 4 wheel drive on 2 wheel drive rollers, some will say you can do 1 wheel at a time but i'd rather do it properly tbh.

You can always bring the car to me to test for ya i'm based in brum and the mot's are £30

JohnD 29 September 2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 10807296)
You can always bring the car to me to test for ya i'm based in brum and the mot's are £30

I bet you'll inandated with calls from 'catless' Impreza owners!:norty:

JohnD

WR1-DAN 29 September 2012 09:56 AM

gazza is spot on it will cause sever damage to diif and transfer box,
any test station with a standard brake roller (single axle roller) can still test 4wd and awd as they also need to have as per vosa standards a decelerometer for a on road brake test.

sweden 29 September 2012 10:02 AM

As advised in no circumstances let them put your scooby on a set of rollers a decelorometer is what they need to use and road test.. Not sure in the uk but in Sweden we don't even need to let them drive the car but do the test with them in the passenger seat.

lee67 29 September 2012 10:04 AM

as above, i had mine done recently and they used a meter on the road:thumb:

chief-long-shin 29 September 2012 10:04 AM

I spoke to a guy at a Subaru garage who motd mine and he said that for how long they're on there for its no biggy. I double questioned him do decelorometer was used on road

petethemeat 29 September 2012 10:25 AM

Check this thread out. I have had mine done on a two wheel brake test and was assured it was fine. In actual fact the wheels are only turned at low speeds for a short amount of time.

https://www.scoobynet.com/929112-mot...l#post10544741

bigredrob 29 September 2012 10:46 AM

They , the mot tester, took the scoob for a quick spin with a meter on the floor in the passenger footwell, do the same on my freelander. never been on the rollers.

Brun 29 September 2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WR1-DAN (Post 10807387)
gazza is spot on it will cause sever damage to diif and transfer box,

Congratulations on your first post on Scoobynet being completely wrong :thumb:

Osimabu 30 September 2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 10807296)
They are wrong, for any 4 wheel drive vehicles i test i use the decelerometer and go on road test. Thats the right way to do it :thumb:

You cant put 4 wheel drive on 2 wheel drive rollers, some will say you can do 1 wheel at a time but i'd rather do it properly tbh.

Thanks very much for the advice and the offer Gazza (and to the others offering advice). However since I posted this, I've realised the car needs servicing too, so I've arranged to take it back to Litchfield's where they'll do it all for me at the same time.

'7' 30 September 2012 12:01 PM

Always had mine on the 2wd rollers. As stated before. For a brief time at short speed it's ok.

Wrx sti Ed 30 September 2012 01:46 PM

I heard some MOT stations have a 4wd option on the rollers.

gazzawrx 30 September 2012 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wrx sti Ed (Post 10808650)
I heard some MOT stations have a 4wd option on the rollers.

i bellieve thats just the one wheel at a time option, i have that on my rollers but i'd still rather do it properly and not take any chances with someone else's car, it's not so much an issue if the motors your own but i can't be repairing anyone else's motor when i dont get that much time to finish my own.:lol1:

gazzawrx 30 September 2012 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 10807370)
I bet you'll inandated with calls from 'catless' Impreza owners!:norty:

JohnD

i get a few ;):lol1:

Bean1984 30 September 2012 04:37 PM

Had mine done yesterday. Terry who done mine asked if mine was perm 4wd. I told him yea its perm 4 wheel drive. He chucked the meter in and took it for a spin. All good on the braking side of things especially as he admitted he had to anchor up hard as some plank pulled out in front of him

classicgc8 30 September 2012 04:58 PM

i use the decelerometer when testing 4wd vehicles,out testing station has 4wd software but not the hardware needed.

WR1-DAN 30 September 2012 05:24 PM

So brun, your an mot tester and a mechanic are you, take it you have done a few of these with your vast experience giving you the ability to mock and suggest that I'm wrong.

WR1-DAN 30 September 2012 05:33 PM

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_370.htm

Vehicles not to be tested on a roller brake tester

Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, eg vehicles
with
- More than one driving axle permanently engaged
- Limited-slip differential
- Belt-driven transmission
- Brakes for which the servo operates only when the vehicle is moving

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained
decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the
statutory tests, see Sub Section 3.7 B, page 25, and C, page 26.

Alan Jeffery 30 September 2012 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry, but some of you seriously worry about breaking an Impreza transmission during an MOT test?

Attachment 68509

Brun 30 September 2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by WR1-DAN (Post 10808877)
So brun, your an mot tester and a mechanic are you, take it you have done a few of these with your vast experience giving you the ability to mock and suggest that I'm wrong.

I may be all of the above and i may be none of the above but i trust the voice of experience over and above your opinion.

As suggested earlier in the thread, read this and pay particular attention to Alan Jeffery's comments and then decide if my comment was correct or not :p

.................and yes - you are wrong..................