ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Mini Cooper D (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/950576-mini-cooper-d.html)

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 08:13 PM

Mini Cooper D

Just after some thoughts on the Mini Cooper D (second generation) in it's various guises, what do the various 'packs' mean and add to the car?

I am looking to replace a very long in the tooth but very reliable Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi which apart from a very odd electrical glitch has been faultless, it's time to change the 206 but I don't want to replace it with something that is prone to lots of common faults.

What are the ownership costs like and in particular what is the estate version like in comparison to the hatchback, I have seen a nice estate in a dark metallic red with a black roof which I do like the look of.

This will be a third vehicle as I have a works vehicle for weekday use, my Spec C for weekend fun so this will be used for shopping, the odd run out but not a great deal more and won't even run up 3000 miles a year.

nickwrxstiV2 23 September 2012 08:35 PM

If you are only doing 3000miles a year in it, why a diesel?

All I know about them is the mpg is phenominal! 60mpg urban, 70mpg combined and 80mpg on a run! :notworthy

tubbytommy 23 September 2012 08:37 PM

i didnt know you were an estate agent

prodriverules 23 September 2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10800363)

He's not an estate agent but he is a big poofter :D

tubbytommy 23 September 2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10800388)

same thing, and explains wanting a cock wagon:lol1:

Truss 23 September 2012 08:57 PM

My missus gets 600 miles to a £60 fill up. Drives nice to be fair. The ladies wouldnt give you a second look in it haha! Couldnt help you with the packs, sorry.

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by nickwrxstiV2 (Post 10800358)
If you are only doing 3000miles a year in it, why a diesel?

All I know about them is the mpg is phenominal! 60mpg urban, 70mpg combined and 80mpg on a run! :notworthy

Originally Posted by Truss (Post 10800410)
My missus gets 600 miles to a £60 fill up. Drives nice to be fair. The ladies wouldnt give you a second look in it haha! Couldnt help you with the packs, sorry.

I mainly want it for the low tax band, high mpg and I'll get it remapped to improve the performance a smidge. :)

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10800363)

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10800388)

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10800396)
same thing, and explains wanting a cock wagon:lol1:

I might have known that pinky and perky aka hamburglar and wurzel gummidge would come along and attempt to trash this thread.

Now fook off to FC where I'll deal with you both later. :D

GIBZY 23 September 2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800430)
I mainly want it for the low tax band, high mpg and I'll get it remapped to improve the performance a smidge. :)

http://thumbsnap.com/s/15URZED2.png

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by GIBZY (Post 10800452)

It's nice to see that you Merthyr people have electricity and broadband in the evening, you'll have running water and street lamps soon, you'll see. :cuckoo:

GIBZY 23 September 2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800461)
It's nice to see that you Merthyr people have electricity and broadband in the evening, you'll have running water and street lamps soon, you'll see. :cuckoo:

Wow, running water. We had that once, but i think Lee used it all with the constant washing of his car.

You would look good driving a soft top mini though. Real pretty boy :thumb:

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by GIBZY (Post 10800466)
Wow, running water. We had that once, but i think Lee used it all with the constant washing of his car.

You would look good driving a soft top mini though. Real pretty boy :thumb:

I could wear a Ken Block cap to improve myself even more, oh wait a sec that would make me look like a right...... :D

GIBZY 23 September 2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800473)
I could wear a Ken Block cap to improve myself even more, oh wait a sec that would make me look like a right...... :D

Ty if you want to improve your self image its less of the hat and more of a.........

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...LZ_7DlDrPQLK0w

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by GIBZY (Post 10800480)
Ty if you want to improve your self image its less of the hat and more of a.........

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...LZ_7DlDrPQLK0w

Perhaps if I owned a Fugly I might be tempted to wear a bag on my head, but as I don't you'll be needing it. :thumb:

tubbytommy 23 September 2012 09:49 PM

you know i think it will suit you

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7d656d9f.jpg

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10800498)

Thanks TT, it's comforting to know that there are at least 3 of you stalking me on here and trashing my threads. :p

Perhaps I'll cover it in stickers as well. :thumb:

prodriverules 23 September 2012 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800509)
Thanks TT, it's comforting to know that there are at least 3 of you stalking me on here and trashing my threads. :p

Perhaps I'll cover it in stickers as well. :thumb:

Stop acting like a girl and man up:p

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10800516)
Stop acting like a girl and man up:p

We all know how you like to 'man up' in the literal sense. :lol1:

prodriverules 23 September 2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800521)

now and again doesn't hurt :eek::D
Welsh cakes all gone as well so I'll be needing some more;)

GIBZY 23 September 2012 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10800521)

well it was mentioned about the amount of time you two spent together. And the funny, almost ive just got off my horse walk.

Whos the GIMP now TY !!!!!! :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

Brun 23 September 2012 10:21 PM

Will the 3k be mainly short journeys? If so, I'd forget a diesel in a heart beat!

john banks 23 September 2012 10:38 PM

Noisy, uncomfortable and unreliable. Pointless to choose diesel for 3000 miles a year.

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by GIBZY (Post 10800532)
well it was mentioned about the amount of time you two spent together. And the funny, almost ive just got off my horse walk.

Whos the GIMP now TY !!!!!! :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

Clearly it's not fluoride being added to the water supply up there, perhaps you need to get some medical assistance to help with your perverted fantasies? :cuckoo:

Cannon Fodder 23 September 2012 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 10800550)
Will the 3k be mainly short journeys? If so, I'd forget a diesel in a heart beat!

Mainly short trips but with some motorway miles occasionally, it's the mpg compared to the 1.6 petrol that's most appealing even given the reduced mpg for urban use.

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 10800572)
Noisy, uncomfortable and unreliable. Pointless to choose diesel for 3000 miles a year.

Unreliable in which way? I thought it was the first generation Mini that suffered from the problems?

Henrik 24 September 2012 07:44 AM

I've got a Mini cooper D (2010), and apart from filling it up with 50 quid worth of diesel (which gives an average of 400 miles a tank, about 350 if you're doing 90+mph) and a set of new tyres at 22k miles I haven't spent a penny on it yet.

It's not the most comfortable of cars, but then what small car is? It handles really quite well indeed (for sub 80mph stuff it feels much more composed than the subarus), and the space for the front passengers is huge for a small car. I'm 6'1" with reasonably long legs and I have *loads* of room. Not so good for back seat passengers, although I can fit comfortably in the back seat if my 5' wife is driving, and she can fit behind me if I move the seat a little bit forward from "optimal" - still not far enough forward to be uncomfortable even on a long journey.

Re noise, the diesel engine is a bit intrusive, but at least there's very little wind and road noise, so cruising along at almost any speed the mini will do is not a problem from a noise point of view - i.e. you don't have to raise your voice unduly to make yourself heard even at 80+. It's *much* more quiet than my bug wagon with a PPP exhaust, especially when on the motorway.

I'm very happy with mine - it works pretty well even with a baby. We can fit a pram + some shopping in the boot, and the doors open wide enough that it's not a huge problem to get the child seat into the iso fix base.

stuart2008sti 25 September 2012 04:38 PM

Wife has a cooper s clubman petrol in white,plenty of room inside and not a bad place to be.The cab and hatch does not have much legroom in the back,and non forced induction engines are very slow.

Cannon Fodder 27 September 2012 10:08 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I have more or less decided to go for a Cooper 1.6 petrol (not the S) as has been said above given the low mileage annually it just won't pay to get a diesel.

I think I have found a fully loaded Cooper with 6K of factory extra plus it's in British Racing Green, 2007 with less than 19,000 miles on it - it's right at the high end of the valuation but given the extras and low mileage it's a better option than newer cars that have 80,000 plus miles on them.