ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   right need to make a decision about my brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/950512-right-need-to-make-a-decision-about-my-brakes.html)

the shreksta 23 September 2012 09:41 AM

right need to make a decision about my brakes

hey guys im having a bit of a "really dont know what to do moment" so here go's

my 04 blob wrx is fitted with powerstations 6 pot porsche caliper upgrade inc 355mm ap 2 piece discs,now i ****ing love the kit but in the next couple of thousand miles they will need replacing as they have been on since end of 2008 but @ over £900 for discs/pads/anti rattle shims its rather pricey and xmas is coming up and overtime has stopped at work so my options are this

1- keep running them until they are completely shot and hope they last until next year (they make a slight drone when pushed hard which is not often at all)

2- take them off and replace with a set of sti brembo's and save £300-400 which i could use to buy a ****ty set of 17's to last thru winter while my pro race 1.2's get powder coated and replace when overtime starts again then sell the brembo's

3- stop being a cry baby and pay the £900 and be done with it

4- buy a set of the d2/k-sport 356mm 8 pot caliper and disc combo on the group buy for £900 then sell my porsche kit for around £500 ish making the brand new 8 pots only £400 meaning i have a brand new set of calipers/discs and pads which offer greater braking than the sti brembos for less than the price of a second hand set of brembo's

thing is i dont know what was modified to make the porsche calipers fit so i could buy the brembos but then need a load of other parts to make them fit,any body got any ideas on this?

also what pcd would my car be?

alcazar 23 September 2012 11:24 AM

Option 3 for me.

the shreksta 23 September 2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10799582)
Option 3 for me.

this is what i want to do but funds are tight,any idea on my pcd?

JonMc 23 September 2012 11:38 AM

3 for me - it's the most straight-forward option with the least worries about mods/brake failure. Depending upon just how thin the discs are you could do it in stages with pads first and then hold off on the discs for a little longer:wonder:

mickywrx 23 September 2012 11:47 AM

5x100 is the PCD

the shreksta 23 September 2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10799597)
3 for me - it's the most straight-forward option with the least worries about mods/brake failure. Depending upon just how thin the discs are you could do it in stages with pads first and then hold off on the discs for a little longer:wonder:

this is what i was gonna do but i was advised that when replacing discs/pads they should be done at the same time

the grooves that were on the disc have gone all that is left is an imprint of them you cant feel the grooves any more

JonMc 23 September 2012 11:52 AM

If the discs are that worn then I suspect you will need to do them all together:(

Midlife...... 23 September 2012 12:08 PM

Option 3 and think yourself lucky that you don't run Tar-ox 12 pots like me :D

Shaun

the shreksta 23 September 2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10799629)
Option 3 and think yourself lucky that you don't run Tar-ox 12 pots like me :D

Shaun

hahaha point taken

Midlife...... 23 September 2012 12:29 PM

On a more serious note, Godspeed can make replica's of your discs :)

Shaun

DannyBoy007 23 September 2012 12:45 PM

I'm in the process of replacing the Discs for my Porsche set up. New discs from Godspeed are £400 + Pads which are £300 from Powerstation. Worth contacting Godspeed for a price on pads, he has my pads there at the moment which I already owened. so he has the pad shape( not standard pads as they are modified by milling the bottom part to avoid hitting the bell

the shreksta 23 September 2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007 (Post 10799673)
I'm in the process of replacing the Discs for my Porsche set up. New discs from Godspeed are £400 + Pads which are £300 from Powerstation. Worth contacting Godspeed for a price on pads, he has my pads there at the moment which I already owened. so he has the pad shape( not standard pads as they are modified by milling the bottom part to avoid hitting the bell

well i can get the discs cheaper than yours matey @ around £160 each but the pads you can get cheaper,are you sure that is the price from powerstation as im sure they quoted me alot more than that

also how many anti-rattle shims are you using? rcm tell me i need 12 but powerstation tell me i need only 8???

i tried godspeed but the response i got was this

"Hi
No we can't on the Porsche caliper parts , none of our suppliers can supply the parts , only main dealers , so I would suggest going to Litchfield or RCM who you have been speaking to
Cheers Ian"

wonder why he can help you but not me

Godspeed Brakes 23 September 2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 10799687)
well i can get the discs cheaper than yours matey @ around £160 each but the pads you can get cheaper,are you sure that is the price from powerstation as im sure they quoted me alot more than that

also how many anti-rattle shims are you using? rcm tell me i need 12 but powerstation tell me i need only 8???

i tried godspeed but the response i got was this

"Hi
No we can't on the Porsche caliper parts , none of our suppliers can supply the parts , only main dealers , so I would suggest going to Litchfield or RCM who you have been speaking to
Cheers Ian"

wonder why he can help you but not me

Because I can only get the parts for the Porsche caliper you need from a dealer , I can get you the discs , and I can also get pads in and machine them to fit , but I cannot supply you everything you need which is why I said to go to Litchfield or RCM as you can get it all from them.

If it was me I wouldn't spend all that money on the dampening plates , I would get some get universal sticky pads and cut them to fit the pads

Godspeed Brakes 23 September 2012 01:22 PM

Oh and the discs you can get are £160 + vat each , so just under £400 a pair same as the AP ones we can supply
Cheers Ian

the shreksta 23 September 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 10799713)
Because I can only get the parts for the Porsche caliper you need from a dealer , I can get you the discs , and I can also get pads in and machine them to fit , but I cannot supply you everything you need which is why I said to go to Litchfield or RCM as you can get it all from them.

If it was me I wouldn't spend all that money on the dampening plates , I would get some get universal sticky pads and cut them to fit the pads

ok matey cheers,what sort of stuff do you suggest i use as dampening plates?

Godspeed Brakes 23 September 2012 05:52 PM

you can get sticky back pads to cut to shape to fit any shape pads , check out ebay.

I have used these calipers with no sticky pads fitted with no issues at all , so I wouldn't worry too much about them unless the pads squeel