ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Gone through the lacquer (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/950475-gone-through-the-lacquer.html)

amego 22 September 2012 07:52 PM

Gone through the lacquer

Polishing a scratch out and gone through any suggestions : (

blackvenom 22 September 2012 07:59 PM

Have to be recleared,will need to do most of the panel, then use a fade out thinner where you will blend the new and old coats. If you get any crap,or a bad finish, use a p1200 da or p2000 wet flat the whole area,( use a block to prevent finger furrowing) use a mop with a fast cut to bring back
The gloss, finess is good for hand polishing, then use a wax to protect the paint.

toneh 22 September 2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by amego (Post 10799026)
Polishing a scratch out and gone through any suggestions : (

If you've not gone too far you may be able too Just blow it in with some top coat
Tony

toneh 22 September 2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by blackvenom (Post 10799036)
Have to be recleared,will need to do most of the panel, then use a fade out thinner where you will blend the new and old coats. If you get any crap,or a bad finish, use a p1200 da or p2000 wet flat the whole area,( use a block to prevent finger furrowing) use a mop with a fast cut to bring back
The gloss, finess is good for hand polishing, then use a wax to protect the paint.

Lol or get you to do it fella , you can tell what you do for a living

blackvenom 22 September 2012 09:47 PM

Guilty, Would do it if you was closer.

toneh 22 September 2012 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by blackvenom (Post 10799195)
Guilty, Would do it if you was closer.

Respect , paintwork is the one thing I would really like to learn , I've done quite a bit myself but very hit and miss , had some I've been proud of and some that's shocking
To get top notch consistent results is a proper skill and patience , and I lack both when it comes to paintwork

Tony

daz1968 23 September 2012 08:45 AM

I did similar on my old wrx. I tried a body shop and they wanted to paint the whole side of the car for a 5 pence piece size mark by the petrol flap. I contacted a local smart repair company and had it done by them. I had polished through the base coat as well. They did a superb job at less than 10% of what the body shop quoted.

blackvenom 23 September 2012 11:28 AM

I work for a company Smart repair company tho I was trained as a painter and panel in bodyshop, would say both have there advantages, doing smart means you learn paintless dent removal. Also repair interiors plastics, fabrics and leathers. Window chips, it's a good trade to learn if you like cars, get to work on a lot of top end cars. Never had a scooby in the workshop yet apart from Myown. Skill wise as long as your follow all the technical data sheets, and material data sheets, it's not too hard, it's all in the prep!

SRSport 25 September 2012 10:57 PM

I thought that polihing through the lacquer and exposing the paint meant that it needed to be repainted. I did that and the paint looked a lighter shade than the rest of it. Relacquering it made no difference.

Out of curiosity what does a smart repairer make in a year?

prodriverules 25 September 2012 11:00 PM

All depends how badly you tarnish the base coat but usually requires a light coat of base and then reclear the panel.

SRSport 25 September 2012 11:03 PM

Thats what I did. I used an aerosol, blended and then lacquered. No one ever noticed. I noticed at certain angles but it only cost me around £10.

scoobyverysoon 26 September 2012 09:06 PM

do you have a pic I've always wondered what it looks like when you polish through it