ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Clio 1.1 petrol as a runabout ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/950416-clio-1-1-petrol-as-a-runabout.html)

Midlife...... 21 September 2012 11:04 PM

Clio 1.1 petrol as a runabout ?

As above really.

I'm after a cheapish to run "runabout" and have been looking at Clio's as they look pretty anonymous.......

There's a clean looking 04 plate Black Clio 1.1 petrol Sport with alloys and a sunroof 50,000 miles parked in a nice area with a for sale sign £1995.

Inside and out looks tidy but the pink steering wheel cover isn't me......

Any vices on the 1.1 engine ?

can't get much from Google.

Cheers

Shaun

the shreksta 21 September 2012 11:16 PM

unreliable french car mate dont bother,your better off with a corsa mate

SRSport 22 September 2012 02:56 PM

As above.

Midlife...... 22 September 2012 05:59 PM

Not sure I can bring myself to buy a Nova / Corsa..... :) Might go a tad bigger and get a Focus.

Shaun

SRSport 22 September 2012 06:01 PM

Lol, Im the other way around. I cant ever see myself buying a French pap car. What about staying Japanese? Honda Jazz etc.

Midlife...... 22 September 2012 06:19 PM

I don't intend to clean it so nothing fancy like a jazz..... was thinking about an older shape Civic though. :)

Shaun

gazzawrx 22 September 2012 07:00 PM

The clios are about the only half descent french cars out there. :thumb:

For the year range you're looking for, the most common of faults are, leaky sunroofs, crank sensor plug wiring corroding and ABS reluctor rings cracking.
Ive had 3 of the post 2001 over the years and have always found them to be good cars and well worth buying.

The missus has currently got a 2002 dynamique model, comes fully loaded with all the extras and as yet hasn't let her down.

Midlife...... 22 September 2012 07:16 PM

The one I looked at just said "sport" on the rear boot (nearside) and the card in the window said 1.1 petrol. looked pretty basic inside and not "fully loaded" LOL

Shaun

the shreksta 22 September 2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10798971)
The one I looked at just said "sport" on the rear boot (nearside) and the card in the window said 1.1 petrol. looked pretty basic inside and not "fully loaded" LOL

Shaun

i still think your better off with a corsa/fiesta or like you said an old civic-bombproof mate

chocolate_o_brian 22 September 2012 07:29 PM

Have you thought a bout a little Peugeot? Easy to work on and not as crap as the scare mongers deem you to think. I've had 4 Subaru's and 4 Peugeot in 6 1/2 years of driving. A 106 diesel, 205 GTi (ok admittedly sh1t electrics but 22 years old), a 1.1 106 petrol (most reliable car EVER owned till written off) and a 406 1.8 saloon.

Peugeot's for me have been the most reliable cars out of any owned whatsoever, including Subaru's.

SRSport 22 September 2012 08:12 PM

Civic would be my choice as well I think.

Midlife...... 22 September 2012 08:28 PM

COB, my experience of Pugs was probably unfairly wrecked by my80's Pug XS (the one down from the GTi) ..........

Shaun

nick172sport 22 September 2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10798882)
I don't intend to clean it so nothing fancy like a jazz..... was thinking about an older shape Civic though. :)

Shaun

sean dont bother with clios ive had more problems with mine than any car ive owned in 30 yrs cant wait to get rid:thumb:

ALi-B 23 September 2012 12:56 PM

That looks far too overpriced for year/miles IMO.

Basic model Clios generally aren't that bad compared to other makes, not better, but no worse by any amount either. We ran two 2003 1.2s as courtesy cars and sold them on. We still see the one quite regular for service/MOT work, its on about 150K now. Worst common issue is the immobiliser transponder packing in, which leaves you stranded (although this car as yet to suffer this...lucky?).

By no means take that its mint, its not - its a 9yr old shed - one of the (woman) owners ran/abused it for several years without a oil change, ran it out of oil and seized it (not the car's fault). Still, even with a second hand engine its going well for a car of this type/age and miles....had a few clutches, and coil springs, the odd sensor, but generally no massive bills caused by the car's build quality. I wouldn't put a Fiesta, Ka, Corsa or Pug much above a clio by any means - they all have issues in one form or another. Fiestas/KAs are rustbuckets, Corsa Cs - cams, electrics, steering, gear linkages etc. 206s- everything electrical LOL.

Off the top of my head the only cars of this size/age that betters any of them is the MK2 Nissan Micra, and Mk3 polo (assuming they aren't neglected...of course, many are due to the types of people who drive them :nono: ).

Renault do have a bad reputation, and deservedly so - but morseo for their other models...for example the MK2 Megane....I would say, scream and run away with your arms flailing...most unreliable modern car....ever.

saints_forever 23 September 2012 01:42 PM

I have a 182 Clio, which ive owned for 4 years and apart from this year needing new sensors, it's only ever needed tyres and the exhaust sorting. I don't think it's neccasrily a renualt/french thing being unreliable, it's the people who buy them who aren't interested or bothered in cars and looking after them! If you find a well looked after one with good mileage then go for it, as you won't get alot for your money when you look at "reliable cars" such as VWs and Audis. But £1995 is slightly over priced!!

Midlife...... 23 September 2012 06:27 PM

So how much do you reckon it should go for?

Shaun

ALi-B 23 September 2012 07:54 PM

Depends on condition, I'd say around £1300ish? if its ok.

rob84 04 October 2012 09:10 PM

I know were theres a pug 205 gti 1.6 :)

Matthew_JDM 04 October 2012 09:40 PM

I've got a Pug 205 1.0 litre if your interested?

Midlife...... 04 October 2012 11:15 PM

Hi Rob

Is it legit ?

Shaun

prodriverules 04 October 2012 11:42 PM

What about a Nissan micra?
I've got an 03 1.0 as a run about and it's like a Swiss clock!

gazzawrx 05 October 2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10799690)
That looks far too overpriced for year/miles IMO.

Basic model Clios generally aren't that bad compared to other makes, not better, but no worse by any amount either. We ran two 2003 1.2s as courtesy cars and sold them on. We still see the one quite regular for service/MOT work, its on about 150K now. Worst common issue is the immobiliser transponder packing in, which leaves you stranded (although this car as yet to suffer this...lucky?).

By no means take that its mint, its not - its a 9yr old shed - one of the (woman) owners ran/abused it for several years without a oil change, ran it out of oil and seized it (not the car's fault). Still, even with a second hand engine its going well for a car of this type/age and miles....had a few clutches, and coil springs, the odd sensor, but generally no massive bills caused by the car's build quality. I wouldn't put a Fiesta, Ka, Corsa or Pug much above a clio by any means - they all have issues in one form or another. Fiestas/KAs are rustbuckets, Corsa Cs - cams, electrics, steering, gear linkages etc. 206s- everything electrical LOL.

Off the top of my head the only cars of this size/age that betters any of them is the MK2 Nissan Micra, and Mk3 polo (assuming they aren't neglected...of course, many are due to the types of people who drive them :nono: ).

Renault do have a bad reputation, and deservedly so - but morseo for their other models...for example the MK2 Megane....I would say, scream and run away with your arms flailing...most unreliable modern car....ever.

totally agree, my 1.2 clios have always served me well, i work in a garage for a living and i dont have to do much with clios other than servicing. The likes of corsas needing timing chains are a regular occurence and fiestas needing new wheel bearings and plastic mouldings are becoming a regular thing too, although the fiestas i see as good cars too tbh and i'd recommend one to people should they be looking for that sort of car.

jpor 06 October 2012 01:35 PM

What about a Daihatsu? A lot of people I know are looking at Daihatsu Charade 1.0 litre cars. 3 cylinder, electric windows/mirrors, even aircon on the SL. made between 2004-2007 a few on Autotrader at the moment at sub £2K. Lightweight car and can do 58MPG.
And if you werent aware Daihatsu are owned by Toyota so Japanese as well.

hodgy0_2 06 October 2012 06:50 PM

guy at work has a Seat Arosa 1.2 tdi -- looks fantastic, based on the VW Lupo