ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The entry for this contest is a confession of how car-obsessed you are (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/950103-the-entry-for-this-contest-is-a-confession-of-how-car-obsessed-you-are.html)

Suresh 19 September 2012 12:58 AM

The entry for this contest is a confession of how car-obsessed you are

WTF - advertising spam posts on SN? :rolleyes:
Good move - milk the site before you kill it!

Chip 20 September 2012 07:00 AM

It died a while ago.

ALi-B 20 September 2012 10:10 AM

eh? :confused: Are you talking about a rogue google advert? :wonder:

If so, post up a screenshot of it and I can pass it on to someone who should be able to do something about it. :thumb:

f1_fan 20 September 2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10796033)
eh? :confused: Are you talking about a rogue google advert? :wonder:

If so, post up a screenshot of it and I can pass it on to someone who should be able to do something about it. :thumb:

Eh? It's a sponsored post at the top of this very section which is titled ' Your obsession for cars just may pay off with this contest '.

It's been there for several days, are you actually looking at the same forum as us? ;)

Shark Man 20 September 2012 10:24 AM

Obviously not...Here I am with my old non-paying user account (used for testing these days) and I can't see anything. :confused:

ALi-B 20 September 2012 10:25 AM

So, are we talking about some form on inline adverts?

Is that within a particular thread, all the threads, in certain posts, or in the forum/thread listings...or all of them :confused:.

As I say, screenshots would help :)

f1_fan 20 September 2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10796052)
So, are we talking about some form on inline adverts?

Is that within a particular thread, all the threads, in certain posts, or in the forum/thread listings...or all of them :confused:.

As I say, screenshots would help :)

Aha spiotted it, it is only there if you log out. Log out and you will see it. It is a thread contaiing an ad at the top of every forum.

Tbh not sure why it bothers Suresh so much anyway, but he is a bit odd!

ALi-B 20 September 2012 11:11 AM

Aha I see. :cool:

When logged out the whole site is clustered with ads everwhere anyway, so I tend not even bother looking and just log in straight away, the site typically runs quicker when logged in.

Its probably click revenue I guess, being a commercially funded website we're forced to have adverts somewhere. Personally I'd rather have the adverts be dumped on the guests so we can have less adverts for those those who are logged in.

It's a necessary evil. Obviously if the adverts are too intrusive and prevent use of the website (i.e pop-up and lightbox adverts etc) then there would be a good case to ask for something to be done about it. However I don't think an inline thread/advert for a guest user calls for that.