ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   2.0ltr 2005 sti Bottem End Capabilites (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/949621-2-0ltr-2005-sti-bottem-end-capabilites.html)

nyscooby 14 September 2012 10:29 AM

2.0ltr 2005 sti Bottem End Capabilites

Q. Whats the max power people are running through standard internals on their STI Blobs, 2.0ltr... ?

My fitter says at 400 it'll go BANG!

Whos running whats on OEM?

Bob99 14 September 2012 10:44 AM

Well I am running over 400 with no problems, the car is used in sprints, hill climbs and does track days. I do know some cars running 430 ish, the upper limit is about 450 but this would depend on mileage and the condition of the engine.

barnshaw 14 September 2012 11:12 AM

I think the general rule most people say is that they should be good for upto 450hp. some people have run 500+ on standard internals.

That does not mean all can cope with it, it also depends on mileage, the life the engine has had and whether it is in good health and been serviced/looked after, it would benefit from getting it health checked before taking it to those levels.

nyscooby 14 September 2012 11:19 AM

I'm after 400...

WhiteWagonMan 14 September 2012 01:48 PM

Running 505bhp on a JDM blob sti bottom end,plenty of people running that figure or close to it without any issues mate.:thumb:

stevie1982 14 September 2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by barnshaw (Post 10789007)
I think the general rule most people say is that they should be good for upto 450hp. some people have run 500+ on standard internals.

That does not mean all can cope with it, it also depends on mileage, the life the engine has had and whether it is in good health and been serviced/looked after, it would benefit from getting it health checked before taking it to those levels.

second all of that, :thumb:

nyscooby 14 September 2012 04:08 PM

Mine is a UK STI 05 widetrack.......

Are the internals much differen, IE JDM stronger?

Turbotits 14 September 2012 05:22 PM

400 shouldnt be a problem. Mines a 2002 with 105k on the clock. Been running 370bhp since 26k and now up at 400 without issue.

WhiteWagonMan 14 September 2012 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10789435)
Mine is a UK STI 05 widetrack.......

Are the internals much differen, IE JDM stronger?

Yes mate the widetrack UK spec cars have the JDM spec internals,nitrided cross drilled version 9 crank,uprated rods and pistons,lucky lad.:thumb:

#68 rb5 14 September 2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan (Post 10789713)
Yes mate the widetrack UK spec cars have the JDM spec internals,nitrided cross drilled version 9 crank,uprated rods and pistons,lucky lad.:thumb:

Wow, I didn't know this. That's a bonus for us wide track lads and lassies if bits true. :thumb:

nyscooby 14 September 2012 09:42 PM

Opinions on the OEM headers.... max power. With non standard up pipe????

daz1968 14 September 2012 09:53 PM

I didn't think the uk even in 2005 spec had same crank as jdm cars, thought only jdm had the nitrided crank.

tubbytommy 14 September 2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan (Post 10789713)

im not sure thats correct:thumb:

nyscooby 14 September 2012 09:57 PM

I can hear drum rolls......... the tension is killing me! Who has facts on this matter.

ronjeramy 14 September 2012 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10789954)
I can hear drum rolls......... the tension is killing me! Who has facts on this matter.

Tony Burns most probably will :lol1:

The Pink Ninja 14 September 2012 11:43 PM

As far as I know from 05 the UK engines were the same as the Blob 03/04 onwards JDM block(not heads) until the UK went 2.5, Don't quote me on it though :)

Dnalunchie 15 September 2012 01:44 AM

I am no expert but the more I see and learn from the last few years of following the modifying scene it appears that the final tune is far more important than anything else. I have seen a couple guys in NZ run in our SS2000 series (basically modified street cars) with sti's with well over 400hp (430-470) on a stock 2.0 block but the tuning was VERY good done by someone who knows sti's. In saying that I have seen plenty with less hp go pop. My recommendation is to find someone willing to work with you through the whole process who really knows their ****. (oh and listen to them)

Combine a good tune with high quality parts and a sensible driving and maintenance schedule and you should be fine with over 400hp.

P.S. One final word of warning that a tuner friend gave me.

If you get to the point where you have to start asking is this safe at this power level then start assuming you will need a rebuild at some point. Even the best tunes can't protect you from a freak accident, if you accept you might need a rebuild at some point then you will never be surprised. Either accept that fact, or aim to improve the car in ways other than more HP.

Cheers

Lunchie

bigsinky 15 September 2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dnalunchie (Post 10790136)
I am no expert but the more I see and learn from the last few years of following the modifying scene it appears that the final tune is far more important than anything else. I have seen a couple guys in NZ run in our SS2000 series (basically modified street cars) with sti's with well over 400hp (430-470) on a stock 2.0 block but the tuning was VERY good done by someone who knows sti's. In saying that I have seen plenty with less hp go pop. My recommendation is to find someone willing to work with you through the whole process who really knows their ****. (oh and listen to them)

Combine a good tune with high quality parts and a sensible driving and maintenance schedule and you should be fine with over 400hp.

P.S. One final word of warning that a tuner friend gave me.

If you get to the point where you have to start asking is this safe at this power level then start assuming you will need a rebuild at some point. Even the best tunes can't protect you from a freak accident, if you accept you might need a rebuild at some point then you will never be surprised. Either accept that fact, or aim to improve the car in ways other than more HP.

Cheers

Lunchie

have to say probably one of the most sensible posts I have seen on scabbynet for years.

MartynJ 15 September 2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by nyscooby (Post 10789954)
Who has facts on this matter.

There are no facts, just opinions based on peoples personal experiences and info gathered from forums :D

We have built a fair few 2 litre Sti that have ran in excess of 450bhp for 4 years or more. They have ran on the road, RWYB drag events, hillclimbs and track days without issue.
As mentioned, careful selection of the right parts and quality mapping are key to keeping it all together.
For headers you can't go far wrong with the RCM/GT Spec setup, but the stock one's won't be adequate at that level.

TonyBurns 15 September 2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 (Post 10790085)
As far as I know from 05 the UK engines were the same as the Blob 03/04 onwards JDM block(not heads) until the UK went 2.5, Don't quote me on it though :)

As Gaz said, same internals as previous UK models and NOT the same as a jdm 2ltr twinscroll ie no nitride x drilled crank.

#68 rb5 15 September 2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10790268)
As Gaz said, same internals as previous UK models and NOT the same as a jdm 2ltr twinscroll ie no nitride x drilled crank.

I did think it was incorrect. :cry: I was starting to get my hopes hope :lol1:

nyscooby 15 September 2012 04:59 PM

Just picked up some GT Spec 3 bolt headers for a sooper dooper price, so 400+ here we come.

For parts list go see my garage. Comments welcome.

WhiteWagonMan 15 September 2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10790268)

Ahhhhh right,always thought the widetrack uk cars had the same internals as the JDM 2.0ltr models,oh well suppose we live and learn.:thumb: