ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   OBP - 3 PORT Subaru Catch Tank FEEDBACK (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/948738-obp-3-port-subaru-catch-tank-feedback.html)

obp.ltd 05 September 2012 03:25 PM

OBP - 3 PORT Subaru Catch Tank FEEDBACK

Hello everyone,

I am aware that quite a few of you have an OBP 3 port catch tank whether it be the standard or the New Age one.

I'm creating this thread to get some feedback from it, i've noticed a lot of you praising it BUT it could be a bit smaller or built differently as it's quite hard to fit?

Please post your opinions and ideas, we would love to modify these tanks so they are a lot easier for you guys to fit and keep our customers a lot happier! :)

Regards,
Sam

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by obp.ltd (Post 10777967)
Hello everyone,

I am aware that quite a few of you have an OBP 3 port catch tank whether it be the standard or the New Age one.

I'm creating this thread to get some feedback from it, i've noticed a lot of you praising it BUT it could be a bit smaller or built differently as it's quite hard to fit?

Please post your opinions and ideas, we would love to modify these tanks so they are a lot easier for you guys to fit and keep our customers a lot happier! :)

Regards,
Sam

the quality of the can is excellent. but due to its size its difficult to find anywhere to fit it.
maybe find a place where it fits and fabricate and supply a bracket when sold.
or possibly a few mounting places and bracket options on checkout.

obp.ltd 05 September 2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10777969)
the quality of the can is excellent. but due to its size its difficult to find anywhere to fit it.
maybe find a place where it fits and fabricate and supply a bracket when sold.
or possibly a few mounting places and bracket options on checkout.

Thanks for the reply, just what we want! :)

I agree with you there but we just need some information on where people fit it, dimensions etc then we can work out a bracket for them.

IainMilford 05 September 2012 03:44 PM

are these return to sump?

obp.ltd 05 September 2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by IainMilford (Post 10777984)
are these return to sump?

Yes these are return to sump. :)

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by obp.ltd (Post 10777980)
Thanks for the reply, just what we want! :)

I agree with you there but we just need some information on where people fit it, dimensions etc then we can work out a bracket for them.

maybe this will help, on my car im running a fmic so im unsure if the top mount will get in the way of my mounting point but i dont think it will.

i made a bracket ( basically a length of metal about 10 inches long with a hole either end and bolted one end to the bolt in the bracket pictured and the other end to the catch can, this way i didnt need to drill into any part of the cars bodwork.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...905_173728.jpg

here is the can in place, (sorry there are no bracket pictures as its being painted).

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...905_173817.jpg

and here is the can sitting on top of the engine so people can get some idea of its size and why your limited with places to put it on a newage.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...905_173851.jpg

ill update this over the weekend when the bracket is fitted and the can piped up, this was the only place i could find to fit the can but saying that it fits in there fine and there is enough room for all top pipes and the return to sump if needed (im not using this).

the can is excellent quality and is also baffled unlike a lot of the smaller cheaper items and also 3 port so no breather pipe t piece needed.

once i get it all fitted and sorted im happy to supply you with dimensions for the bracket as its a simple part to make.

the car is a blobeye sti by the way

ronjeramy 05 September 2012 09:55 PM

What about an air oil separator?

Cannon Fodder 05 September 2012 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my OBP Subaru specific catch can shown in situ, Ryan (Prodriverules) made a custom bracket to mount it in place at the passenger side rear of the engine bay.

As I have a FMIC it does free up some space but perhaps if used with a TMIC the size of the catch can might be more of an issue.

I had mine painted in satin black as I'm not a fan of too much bare metal in the engine bay plus I've used red silicone hoses.

Attachment 56951

Attachment 56952

RICHARD J 06 September 2012 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, this is only a temp fit until I fit my small Motorsport battery as the tank will go next the new battery. The tank is v well made but too tall. Mine can't go in the NSR bulkhead area as i have a swirl pot there. I also think the tank would catch more if it contained some scotchbright type material as well as the baffle, mine blows a lot of oil straight through the vent which would be an issue if piped back into the inlet. The bracket needs to be bolted to a adjustable removable clamp to accommodate multiple locations.Attachment 56946

tubbytommy 06 September 2012 06:30 AM

bloody ryan, put it in the same place an made a bracket.
and i thought i was being dead clever.

obp.ltd 06 September 2012 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I am going to be working with the main technician to get something sorted as soon as possible.

I have noticed quite a few people have powdercoated or painted them black, would this be an option you would like to see available?

prodriverules 06 September 2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10778880)
bloody ryan, put it in the same place an made a bracket.
and i thought i was being dead clever.

You should on it that great minds think alike ;)

obp.ltd 07 September 2012 01:12 PM

Anyone else with some feedback for us? The more the better so we can make sure we nail this on the head!

As asked before, would the option of buying it powdercoated be a good idea?

tubbytommy 07 September 2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by obp.ltd (Post 10780638)
Anyone else with some feedback for us? The more the better so we can make sure we nail this on the head!

As asked before, would the option of buying it powdercoated be a good idea?

on a newage car, there is no room anywhere else to fit it due to the size, no room around the battery or the otherside due to abs.

powdercoating is a good option and why not supply piping and fitting instructions and sell as a complete kit.

IainMilford 07 September 2012 01:47 PM

I would be interested if it is available as a complete kit, the main other option is the RCM track attack kit which is mega expensive.

Scoobyno1 07 September 2012 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the best pics I have of my install. I had to remove the bracket that holds the AC pipe and use the bottom bolt with the supplied bracket which seems to hols it quite.well but there is no where else that it will fit.
Attachment 56953

Attachment 56954

Attachment 56955

Legacyb4-Dan 07 September 2012 02:50 PM

i need to get a catch can installed in mine before i switch to FMIC, painted options would be good, if you didn't like the alloy look in your engine bay. I have a legacy so probably will require custom fitting anyway. How do you get it to return to sump?

obp.ltd 07 September 2012 04:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Due to the feedback, we are sending off some tanks to be powdercoated to see the results, next week.

Regarding, the size/fitment.. it seems like everybody is having them in different places so whether or not an adjustable removable clamp, like suggested, should be attached to the bracket?

It would be a lot of work to cater for all the positions and possible locations people have them in.

jura11 07 September 2012 04:49 PM

Hi Sam

Powedercoated swirl pots will be good idea,we are just paint the swirl pot,but powdercoated will last longer than paint

Jura

KAS35RSTI 07 September 2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by obp.ltd (Post 10777993)
Yes these are return to sump. :)

Is return to sump safe? The stuff that gets picked up looks very unpleasant.

RICHARD J 07 September 2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C (Post 10780964)
Is return to sump safe? The stuff that gets picked up looks very unpleasant.

Return to sump is fine for a track car as it just gets burned off in the hot oil, but on a road car doing short journeys it can emulsify your oil.

RICHARD J 07 September 2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Legacyb4-Dan (Post 10780788)
i need to get a catch can installed in mine before i switch to FMIC, painted options would be good, if you didn't like the alloy look in your engine bay. I have a legacy so probably will require custom fitting anyway. How do you get it to return to sump?

Return to sump just runs a pipe from the bottom of the catch tank to the sump plug hole using an adapter.

KAS35RSTI 07 September 2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 10781037)
Return to sump is fine for a track car as it just gets burned off in the hot oil, but on a road car doing short journeys it can emulsify your oil.

Thats good enough for me. So its best to dispose of the oil.

RICHARD J 07 September 2012 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C (Post 10781055)
Thats good enough for me. So its best to dispose of the oil.

I just empty mine evry few weeks, takes 5 minutes.

KAS35RSTI 07 September 2012 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 10781419)
I just empty mine evry few weeks, takes 5 minutes.

Same here. I havent noticed any difference in oil levels, I am assuming its not oil that is being caught?

tubbytommy 08 September 2012 01:38 PM

this is the bracket i made to mount mine, very simple and does the job perfect.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...908_130534.jpg

this is it trial fitted in place, im not piping it up yet as im having it powder coated along with a few other bits.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...908_132852.jpg

obp.ltd 10 September 2012 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, they are going to good use for the meeting I am having about this product very soon!

Anymore, please feel free to let me know :)

sonic93 10 September 2012 10:46 AM

Do these have a bigger port for crank case breather?

obp.ltd 11 September 2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 10784097)
Do these have a bigger port for crank case breather?

The biggest ports we do is 15mm outlets and 22mm breather, that is the catch tank designed for the New Age models.

So far the feedback I have gathered;

• Possibility of having it powdercoated
  • Have the fittings/pipes supplied with them
  • Make a bracket for it to fit in certain places (looks like the passengers side by the suspension strut is the most common area)
Any more?

rickya 10 November 2012 05:52 PM

OBP Ltd,

I was one of the first people to buy these catch cans back in Feb 2011. When I received it I rang you guys up to say that the ports are too small at 10mm especially the top breather port. (which with the right angle bend becomes even smaller, probably 6mm at the bend) I enquired about sending it back to you for modifying it to make larger. But after discussing found that it would not make a difference as the internal top baffled chamber has the same size hole inside it. I therefore kept it and made do reluctantly. But this still troubles me as the top breather hole is tiny and with the tight right angle bend this reduces the diameter to an even smaller size. My tuner wasn't too happy fitting it and advised I should keep an eye on this breather port as it may get clogged up due to the size.

I would be very grateful if as an original customer I could replace this old design catch can with your new improved and properly designed catch can. I would be happy to send mine back to you first and pay for any postage and admin charges for this. Your help would be much appreciated in this matter.

Here is a pic of it:
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqF,!h...5VyfQ~~_35.JPG
Post no 48:
https://www.scoobynet.com/873748-bac...detrack-2.html

Ricky