ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fmic (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/948667-fmic.html)

rab89 04 September 2012 09:19 PM

Fmic

Looking for a front mount intercooler for my version 5 type r, been told to stay away from the eBay ones! Was thinking about a hks, any recommendations on the best ones to go for?

Cheers in advance

billy21 04 September 2012 09:52 PM

Have heard Harvey sells great ones. Just can't remember the name

scoobaru mad 05 September 2012 07:21 AM

Why stay away from the eBay ones :wonder:

I bought one from 2fast2cool seller in Bolton, for £179. Was a perfect fit, quality product, no leaks. In the inlet pipe from the intercooler was always VERY cold to the touch after a run out somewhere?

An intercooler is an intercooler. BAR an PLATE design. An much better than the OEM top mount, until you get to the STI 7-8 etc.

I know some people will argue to the tooth that there crap.

But mine worked, my mates Auto-bahn worked, an I know a popular tuner that uses them on their packages. Produceing in excess of 400bhp :luvlove: and doing well at the sprint days.

I've got no problem in buying one. Maybe one of my next purchases... If we ever get this house finished :luxhello:

ronjeramy 05 September 2012 08:21 AM

Speak to Harvey about the Hybrid intercoolers, theyll be a lot cheaper than the HKS and just as good if not better. :)

JohnD 05 September 2012 10:40 AM

Why do so many people assume anything that's sold on Ebay is crap or dodgy?
It's become a belief that was borne out of a joke that was spouted by people who probably had no real clue!
Quite a few of the respected retailers have their Ebay shops. Probably the most popular FMIC on here is the Japspeed item which is also available from them via Ebay.
There are more efficient FMIC's out there but at a much higher price.
The Hybrid is very good but although Australian, they also have a Hong Kong address so I wonder at which location it's actually made? It matters not if the quality is there.

JohnD

rab89 05 September 2012 11:02 AM

Cheers for the replys

Iv been told that the pipe work that comes with them isn't the best!

Has anyone got contact details for Harvey?

Thanks rab

Shaks-STI 05 September 2012 11:55 AM

Pipe is fine mate, i have used does FMIC before and the pipe work was bang on, BTW it was from Toyosport and was running 400bhp with it and spot on.

ronjeramy 05 September 2012 05:22 PM

if i remember correctly Harvey has modified the pipes on his set up for efficiency. i think Harvey said alot of these cheap fmic's dont hold the pressure too well and limit how much power a car can run, i'm more inclined to take his advice as he does a lot of testing. Im sure he or some more experienced mappers will be along to confirm. :)

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 05:29 PM

harvey sells hdi fmics, i have one and its great, as said above his products are TESTED. the ebay ones may or may not be good by why take the risk??
id rather buy proven products.
also if you buy from harvey he is at the end of the phone for advice/problem solving on fitting.
good luck getting that from ebay.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...831_135317.jpg

alcazar 05 September 2012 05:34 PM

Or Darren will fit it for you for a low price, and believe me, watching him cut the bumper to make it fit, his work is worth EVERY penny!!!

Ryan@Indigo-GT 05 September 2012 05:40 PM

hey mate give us a bell we can supply Japspeed, HKS and AMS

tubbytommy 05 September 2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10778110)
Or Darren will fit it for you for a low price, and believe me, watching him cut the bumper to make it fit, his work is worth EVERY penny!!!

i would have took this option if he was nearer to me :thumb:

harvey 05 September 2012 11:03 PM

You can PM me or Email me per profile.
I have not come across any leaking intercoolers lately but there is a lot to consider when buying an intercooler and I only sell tube and fin intercoolers.
Bar and plate is the traditional manufacture and will have a higher pressure drop across the core. This is important because the bigger the pressure drop the more boost the turbo has to make in the first place, (more heat) to achieve the desired boost pressure.
Core design and core size are also very important to get the desired thermal performance and you should avoid any pipework with sharp bends.
I have tested numerous cores including APS costing three times the Hybrid cost and none have the low pressure drop now achieved on the Hybrid GT2s.

rab89 05 September 2012 11:44 PM

Cheers for the advice chaps! I'd rather spend a bit more and get one that's proven to work better and that will last! Although the eBay ones might be good for the money!

I'll fire you a pm Harvey

Rab

harvey 07 September 2012 11:12 AM

Cheers Rab. you now have two replies. :)

Tidgy 07 September 2012 12:29 PM

problem with ebay is you never know how good its gonna be till it arrives, also they an look fantastic on the outside, but then the airflow inside is about as smooth as the alps.

Like forrest gump said, you never know what your gonna get.

as far as mine was fine, codl to touch etc etc, means sod all untill you actualy test how efficient it is, could actualy be more restrictive than the origional system.

tubbytommy 07 September 2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10780588)
problem with ebay is you never know how good its gonna be till it arrives, also they an look fantastic on the outside, but then the airflow inside is about as smooth as the alps.

Like forrest gump said, you never know what your gonna get.

as far as mine was fine, codl to touch etc etc, means sod all untill you actualy test how efficient it is, could actualy be more restrictive than the origional system.

yeh but its cheap,why waste money on tested products.....:brickwall

rab89 07 September 2012 05:41 PM

When fitting a front mount I take it the a/c has to be removed?

Fat Boy 07 September 2012 06:28 PM

Nope

harvey 10 September 2012 08:00 PM

Depending on which one you get you can also retain your spot lights, fog lights or whatever.

tubbytommy 10 September 2012 08:06 PM

no way you can keep foglights on my fmic

harvey 11 September 2012 07:56 AM

If you have a Hybrid you can retain the Subaru Fog Lights and air con.